John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perpetual Motion Machine

I put so many gas saving gadgets on my car that the gas tank keeps overflowing. I have to stop every 10 miles or so and drain it.

Ha Ha Ha! I love that idea...

As part of my day job I deflect scammers, and spent MONTHS dealing with this total arsewipe:
Get all of your Electricity for FREE, and help unsuppress revolutionary technologies, Free Electricity, eliminate energy bills, freedom to enjoy free power liberty to eliminate / end pollution, alternative to nuclear oil coal
Once he got the scent of my bosses wallet I couldn't pry him off of the phone. He is still out there sniffing around for ignoramouses to prey on. :whacko:

I conservatively estimate I have spent three years total of my professional life chasing down these criminals and discrediting them to keep the fortunes of folks richer (but less scientifically minded) than I intact. These scam artists are not funny folk, many are serious criminals with records, and I have been physically threatened at more than one point. :mad:

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

Last edited:
Scam Artists

As part of my day job I deflect scammers...

And there are a lot of scam artists in the audiophile game, but I truly appreciate the contributions of the engineers here and elsewhere who have consistently raised the bar for performance of audio circuitry.

Without y'all the world of both home and professional audio would be a mid-fi place...

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill
www.wxyc.org
1st on the Internet

Howard, please lighten up. IF you find so MANY SCAMMERS in your life, then you are like a police officer, seeing a potential 'criminal' in every person. I have NOT met very many audio 'scammers', yet I probably know more audio accessory manufacturers than you do. Why? Is it because I am an innocent bystander, who 'believes' in everyone? I don't think so. It is BECAUSE I trust my ears. This is helpful to me. Throwing out any potential scams that get past my listening evaluation, may be useful, but not useful enough to throw everybody with a strange idea out the door. Please consider this.

This is a good point. I think you must make a difference between his actual hearing mechanism, like external ears, eardrum, cilia, tympani etc. and the perceptive engine between those ears.

It stands to reason that the mechanical part, the ear etc, is not different in the two situations. But the great difference is in the perception engine; it now has a very different set of sensory inputs (if the test is done well, ONLY the sound and not things like vision and knowledge of which component is playing). So that can very much change the outcome.

In reality it is even more involved because the perception engine also has a feedback link to the ears, like to the cilia. So depending on what the perception engine 'thinks' or 'expects', (sorry for the pun) it can modify the ear parameters like supressing certain tones/levels and enhancing others. Remember, the brain is a prediction machine and will always try to 'fill in' the rest of the sheet from what it deduces from the first few lines.

jan didden
Thanks for your reply. I guess there are some things that we may never know for sure by using DBTs. Sighted tests with deliberate deception about what equipment is playing may reveal what is placebo and what isn't. Probably not practical though so we are back to "we don't know", and that goes for everyone. :)

85 Not Out....

Yes, soundmeister, I agree, my wife has expressed her disapproval of my modifications in the past with admonitions as you have stated - "turn it down". Her HF hearing is surprsingly high for her age, far higher than mine & probably explains some of her reactions to sounds that annoy her.
The was an article in New Scientist years ago about male vs female hearing loss.
Turns out, with ageing males lose HF hearing and females lose LF hearing and the upshot of this is that spouses eventually can't hear each other.
I had a very elderly couple who were customers who had a large framed letter from the Queen congratulating them on their Diamond wedding anniversary (60 years).
I related the NS story to him, he thought about for a second and then said, "Yes, and that can be good"... the old coot still hadn't lost his sense of humour !.

Dave.

DIY Prescription Lenses.....

Right on, soundmeister. Reading your input made me think about how they fit lenses for glasses, at least the 'old fashioned way' They change the lenses up and down in power until YOU decide it is right. Where is the BIAS in that? Should every lens change give you a perceived improvement? Same with audio.

I buy my specs from the local $2.00 shop, and for the princely sum of $12.00 I got 6 pairs that cover the whole range of powers available.
Once I worked out which ones suit me (different ones for general or detail close up work) I went back and got some more.
This way I always have spares on hand to cover those accidents like getting sat on and no paying some 'expert'.

Dave.

Collecting stunning women does sound like more fun.

:cool:

Not so fast. Remember what he also said?

"I buy my specs from the local $2.00 shop, and for the princely sum of $12.00 I got 6 pairs that cover the whole range of powers available."

How stunning they really were could depend on which set of specs he was wearing. Lens Changes Everything. Could have been the Placebo effect, especially if he was wearing the rose colored ones. :D

@ janneman,

i think the phrase "can´t trust your ears" is a bit misleading at this point.

Of course every human sense can be fooled, but obviously we all learn to deal with these fooling mechanism, because otherwise we would not be able to live in the real world.
So, up to a certain degree Joshua is right, because he might be able to learn to "hear the real thing" because he might have learned to deal with several bias mechanisms.

But of course, you can´t know if you can trust in Joshua´s perception, but that would not change after having Joshua in a controlled test, because it is still Joshua´s ears/perception that provide the test results.

So, you have to be very carefully to sort out all the possible confounding issues and to control Joshua´s perception in the test situation.

But, if all controls give consistent data and you get test results in which you trust (under the constraints of statistical and scientific reasoning) it might be the same results that Joshua got right from the beginning. :)

Hi John,

Yes, I'm here! And did read you previous post to this one. I agree with you. I think the ear does a remarkable job at detecting very small differences. This I've learned from my own experience with extreme sound sensitivity.

Sure the ear can be fooled but that doesn't mean these differences don't exist. I don't understand the angst against those who trust there ears. And don't understand fight for lesser quality recording formats or equipment.

But, so it goes. :)

So are you saying that you think if I listen to "Hell in a Bucket" at an SPL of130 db I will be able to hear the difference between the JC-1, JC-2, and Blowtorch preamplifiers? Afterwards will I still be able to hear anything? Will I still want to? :D

No. If life was that simple we could solve all problems by popular vote, and bad politicians would never be elected. Remember, the 'wisdom of the crowd' gave us Windows, IE, VHS, a certain German chancellor, a credit/debt crisis. People are easily swayed by advertising and empty promises, then having made their choice they for a while sincerely believe they were right until an overwhelming weight of evidence shows that they were wrong, and some still believe they were right even then.

Can we vote on the mass of the Higgs boson, the mechanism for dark energy, and the explanation for global warming?

It is a feature of capitalism that the best product rarely makes the most money. Most people prefer popular junk to unpopular quality. Just watch commercial TV in almost any country! As well as the placebo effect (which few can rise above, despite their own fond imaginings!) there is a strong herd effect too.

No. If life was that simple we could solve all problems by popular vote, and bad politicians would never be elected. Remember, the 'wisdom of the crowd' gave us Windows, IE, VHS, a certain German chancellor, a credit/debt crisis. People are easily swayed by advertising and empty promises, then having made their choice they for a while sincerely believe they were right until an overwhelming weight of evidence shows that they were wrong, and some still believe they were right even then.
That's why I said over an extended time. The wisdom of crowds, balances out the biases that you talk about & coalesce into a consensus opinion - it has a neat way of self-cancelling these biases

Can we vote on the mass of the Higgs boson, the mechanism for dark energy, and the explanation for global warming?

It is a feature of capitalism that the best product rarely makes the most money. Most people prefer popular junk to unpopular quality. Just watch commercial TV in almost any country! As well as the placebo effect (which few can rise above, despite their own fond imaginings!) there is a strong herd effect too.
I think you might be confused about capitalism - it is not a level playing field for everyone & the best product does not always (probably seldom) capture the greatest share of the market. What you are describing is consumerism & the attempt at manipulation of buyers choices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.