Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2010, 07:34 AM   #5041
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Jan & all others - let's take the ABX debate off line...

tnx.

_-_-bear
I agree we get into repeat territory. No need to continue off-line either.

jd
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:24 PM   #5042
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Wait - forget about what test, or who is right for a minute. I don't want to waste bandwidth on this emotional hot button... BUT, is anyone who is participating (posting) now saying that there are no audible differences to be found in (roughly equivalent type and quality):

- resistors
- capacitors
- inductors
- semiconductors
- opamps (two different suppliers, same type?)
- etc.??

Forget about these complex devices like D/A chips...

What exactly is being said now?
Are we back to saying that all gear that specs below some (low) threshold sounds essentially identical??

Are we saying that if this gear DOES NOT SOUND THE SAME that we can make that determination via ANY measurement or testing method?? If so which one(s)??

Edit: oh yeah, and if there is such a testing method that reveals differences, what is being found - things cluster up into groups that have indiscernable differences, a bell curve, or a linear distribution?

My position is that all we have at our disposal are tools, techniques and ears - thus in reality the field of audio remains that of an art based upon and utilizing technologies and is not a science. ie. nothing is completely deterministic.

THUS: a device like the BLOWTORCH!!

_-_-bear

Last edited by bear; 22nd July 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:38 PM   #5043
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
BUT, is anyone who is participating (posting) now saying that there are no audible differences to be found in (roughly equivalent type and quality):

- resistors
- capacitors
- inductors
- semiconductors
- opamps (two different suppliers, same type?)
- etc.??

Forget about these complex devices like D/A chips...

What exactly is being said now?
Are we back to saying that all gear that specs below some (low) threshold sounds essentially identical??

Are we saying that if this gear DOES NOT SOUND THE SAME that we can make that determination via ANY measurement or testing method?? If so which one(s)??
There's a lot of wiggle room in the word "roughly." And it depends on what you mean by "gear." Speakers? Phono cartridges?

I will say unequivocally that NO ONE has ever demonstrated that they can hear the difference between two boxes of gain that have reasonably low distortion, adequate bandwidth, are not driven into overload, and have appropriate input and output impedances for a given application. To put a fine point on it, NO ONE has demonstrated that there is any audible difference between a Blowtorch and a cheap op-amp based linestage of competent design (the vast majority of commercial product).

The Blowtorch is analogous to a Rolex- it is gorgeous, beautifully made and engineered, and a total luxury and status item. But a $19.95 Timex tells time just as well.
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:47 PM   #5044
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
There's a lot of wiggle room in the word "roughly."
But positively capacious is the room for manoeuvre in the following lexis: <reasonably ... adequate ... appropriate ... competent>
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:01 PM   #5045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
There's a lot of wiggle room in the word "roughly." And it depends on what you mean by "gear." Speakers? Phono cartridges?

I will say unequivocally that NO ONE has ever demonstrated that they can hear the difference between two boxes of gain that have reasonably low distortion, adequate bandwidth, are not driven into overload, and have appropriate input and output impedances for a given application. To put a fine point on it, NO ONE has demonstrated that there is any audible difference between a Blowtorch and a cheap op-amp based linestage of competent design (the vast majority of commercial product).

The Blowtorch is analogous to a Rolex- it is gorgeous, beautifully made and engineered, and a total luxury and status item. But a $19.95 Timex tells time just as well.
So, do you design your tube preamps for measurements only?
If this is so, why tubes and not opamps?
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:26 PM   #5046
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

This is a VERY good question Joshua, I thought about the same many times, regarding SY.
Old 22nd July 2010, 05:12 PM   #5047
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

SY, bring ur box with gain over some time... or your box with unity gain, and we can see what we shall see. Perhaps you will be on the mark and there will be no difference, but I'd be stunned if that were so... CERTAINLY not with a power amp. No chance. Zero, zip, nil, nada. Not here. And I don't have a weird load to present either... fyi.

Weird operator/owner perhaps, you'll have to decide.

The offer is pretty much open for anyone... you have to call ahead (email works...). I'll be sitting out waiting...

_-_-bear

PS. it's an art no matter how much engineering is applied... and it's not all the same.
Old 22nd July 2010, 05:15 PM   #5048
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
But positively capacious is the room for manoeuvre in the following lexis: <reasonably ... adequate ... appropriate ... competent>
Fill in the blanks - work with the general concept. It's the concept that counts.
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:02 PM   #5049
diyAudio Member

Of course, this is the whole point of the Blowtorch thread in the first place.
People first wanted to copy it, as they had heard about it. Then, others of similar belief to SY, poked fun at it for being so expensive and excessive in mass, power consumption, etc.
After all, why couldn't a simple plastic box with a couple of IC stages do the same job?
Well, it doesn't, for me, especially on long term listening. I found this out, decades ago, especially when the 'new' solid state preamps were the only things available for retail sale, back in the early 1970's.
However, short term, and especially ABX tests would have fooled me into thinking that the new solid state stuff was at least as good as the older quality tube stuff. I'm glad that I did not go in this direction, however, Tom Holman and Dave Spiegel allegedly did, and dropped out of the consumer audio business.

Last edited by john curl; 22nd July 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 22nd July 2010, 06:11 PM   #5050
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
So, do you design your tube preamps for measurements only?
If this is so, why tubes and not opamps?
Read my phono preamp article where I explain the rationale for using tubes in that application.

Hide this!Advertise here!