John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my favorite conductors/interpreters of the classical repertoir are dead, I'm out of luck in any case. Though I am curious about the reissue possibility, if the only archive is a stereo tape why can't DSP make the "desired" format from a CD or LP?

The adjustments are many, complex, and critical. They are also individual for each recording depending on the way it was recorded and the desired effect. They will have to be set by real "golden ears" who will receive a lot of training and practice to use powerful new tools for remastering. Of course they will be encrypted. Small changes can make a significant difference due to the nature of this idea. The ability to satisfactorily adjust them is very difficult even for me. For Joe Sixpack an utter impossibility. No comment about the average audiophile except that he usually gives up on something as simple and useful as an equalizer.

Soundminded,

This idea of yours doesn't sound too practical. No harm in investigating and developing this idea of yours and seeing what comes of it though.

But I see no need to go on an assault of audiophiles and Joe Six Pack and people who don't use equalizers (for good reason - most sound bad).

John

Last edited:
The adjustments are many, complex, and critical. They are also individual for each recording depending on the way it was recorded and the desired effect. They will have to be set by real "golden ears" who will receive a lot of training and practice to use powerful new tools for remastering. Of course they will be encrypted. Small changes can make a significant difference due to the nature of this idea. The ability to satisfactorily adjust them is very difficult even for me. For Joe Sixpack an utter impossibility. No comment about the average audiophile except that he usually gives up on something as simple and useful as an equalizer.

This is beginning to sound very much like a chapter in "Atlas Shrugged".

Eyring rules. :D

This kind?

5463682144_40350cf34c.jpg

Or this kind.

5463682094_d4f35e37bb.jpg

Seriously, though, can you source absorption coefficients for Eyring's equations?

John

Last edited:
I talked to Bob Pease, and I am reporting our 'conversation'. It was Bob Pease who was talking BEHIND Ron Quan's back. Certainly, this is more to the point than most of the inputs here, recently.
To go on, for everyone else, I went to this function with Kirkwood Rough, a member here, who was at Burning Amp, and made the 'Watt Sucking Fireball'. Later, I got to see Kirkwood's lab and library, and I must admit that he had MORE books, test equipment, and a nicer living space than me. I was VERY impressed, as I have a lot of test equipment and many hundreds of technical books, myself. He had several books that I lost in the firestorm. Good to see old friends like OTT's 'Grounding, Shielding and Instrumentation, and the 1941 'Radiotron Designer's handbook', for example. I have 'alternative volumes' at the moment, and they just don't cover the same subjects in the same way.

No comment about the average audiophile except that he usually gives up on something as simple and useful as an equalizer.

Evidently you don't have a clue what audiophiles are, you got it upside down.
I, for one, am an audiophile, however you never bothered to asked me about it, you prefer sticking to your erroneous ideas, rather than find out the facts of the matter. This attitude of yours isn't going to serve you in anything concerning audio reproduction systems you may be dealing with.

.....Good to see old friends like OTT's 'Grounding, Shielding and Instrumentation, and the 1941 'Radiotron Designer's handbook', for example. I have 'alternative volumes' at the moment, and they just don't cover the same subjects in the same way.
Ok, thanks John. I have later version and it would be interesting to read back over the older stuff.
Why did that chapter get changed do you think ?.
What did they say about phono in 1941 ?.

Eric.

I talked to Bob Pease, and I am reporting our 'conversation'. It was Bob Pease who was talking BEHIND Ron Quan's back. Certainly, this is more to the point than most of the inputs here, recently.

Somehow I find it hard to believe Ron just happened to be on Bob's mind without provocation. Why don't you report on what they actually had to say? IIRC tonight is open bar at 5. With Bob there's a difference between contemporary and peer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.