John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4957 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2014, 09:30 PM   #49561
hhoyt is offline hhoyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
And at full retail of $399 the Pono Player is 60% of that one. And it also has a decent chance of having very good audio, having been designed by Ayre. I've never heard of the Colorfly company, nor do I know anything about it's topology or sound.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
Old 24th March 2014, 09:35 PM   #49562
diyAudio Member

Default Pono & headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Yeah, and that's the thing. It's as if the Pono bunch are totally oblivious to what's been going on already in the high end headphone market...
The Ayre engineers seemed to actually have that market in mind, Steve: they put two outputs on the Pono, one specifically designed to drive headphones, and the other optimized as a line out for system interfacing. I don't see any incompatibility issues between the Pono and high-end headphones. Do you mean the impedance and max voltage drive capability? Can you clarify?

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
Old 24th March 2014, 10:15 PM   #49563
diyAudio Member

128GB is a good running start at a practical device. Anything much less than a couple hundred CD's on board would be impractical for somebody who really listens to music - shuffling albums in and out strikes me as yet another modern nonsense. I wouldn't mind the initial CD ripping and transfer, but that'd have to be the end of the process for quite a while.

Personally, I'd love to have a walk around music library, even if I'd very rarely use headphones. Thanks for the heads-up!

Chris
Old 24th March 2014, 10:16 PM   #49564
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
The Ayre engineers seemed to actually have that market in mind, Steve: they put two outputs on the Pono, one specifically designed to drive headphones, and the other optimized as a line out for system interfacing. I don't see any incompatibility issues between the Pono and high-end headphones. Do you mean the impedance and max voltage drive capability? Can you clarify?
What I'm saying is that there have been high end portable headphone amps on the market that are as good or better than the Pono for some time now.

se
Old 24th March 2014, 10:24 PM   #49565
diyAudio Member

Default Pono & Headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
What I'm saying is that there have been high end portable headphone amps on the market that are as good or better than the Pono for some time now...
Ahh, yeah, you are right there, I'm interested in just how good the headphone amp Ayre designed into the Pono is...of course, I don't know of another high-quality headphone amp in a small case with a 128GB all-format media player like the Pono...maybe the Astell & Kern, maybe the Colorfly? It would be interesting to test the bunch...it is an emerging product segment. And the Pono is the least expensive of the bunch too, so a comparison would be good to see.

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
Old 24th March 2014, 10:46 PM   #49566
diyAudio Member

I have read that those who invested in the Kickstarter promotion will be able to purchase them for $200 and after that the retail price is going to be $400 so not exactly cheap but similar to a large Ipod storage unit without the limitations of the Ipod. I say those who say nobody cares about audio quality are just going by what has been foisted on the public now since Apple came out with the Ipod and got in bed with the record companies and wanted to limit quality with their unfounded fear that better quality would lead to unlimited copying of music. We have seen that this stupidity did not stop that practice any more than when we all had tape decks and copied each others albums, that did not stop us from purchasing those albums though.

I really believe that quality will make a comeback when better headphones start to compete with the crummy fashion headphones such as the Beats headphones and it start to restart the listening to music as it should be. To many people have seemed to forget that even the unenlightened can hear the difference with no training or understanding of the underlying technology, once you hear music in a better format it becomes obvious to anyone unless you have a tin ear. It seems a little arrogant to think that only those of us here can appreciate good sound, I have found that not to be the case as soon as I play music on my speakers for the very young, they notice the difference immediately.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:15 PM   #49567
The one and only

I remember investing in Transmeta....

If the Pono starts to gain traction you can bet that Apple will step up its
offerings in this area.

Old 25th March 2014, 12:38 AM   #49568
diyAudio Member

Nelson,
That is my point, once one company ups the ante then others must follow or lose market share. Once people get away from the simple MP3 format then hopefully we will all see this spread. We need to get away from the "B..e" paradigm of what you don't hear you won't miss and bring back fidelity. I for one am hopeful that a rebirth of audio is about to begin. Now we need more artists like Neil Young and others to demand better sound for their own creations, perhaps that is asking to much!
Old 25th March 2014, 12:48 AM   #49569
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoyt View Post
I don't know of another high-quality headphone amp in a small case with a 128GB all-format media player like the Pono
The large memory is a real draw, and makes it more practical to use lossless formats. But, I've got a Sansa Clip (had a Fuze until it was stolen), which has a micro-SD slot, and which plays FLAC, MP3, Ogg, WAV, etc. Combined with a DIY O2 portable headphone amp it drives my AKG's just fine, and blows the doors off any iPod. The Clip has consistently been rated one of the best sounding PMP's (see anythingbutipod.com). Do we really think that a $400 player will change the market more than a $69 player that plays lossless formats and outperforms the competition?

PS: I'll consider a Pono when RockBox has been ported to it!
Old 25th March 2014, 12:49 AM   #49570
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I remember investing in Transmeta....

If the Pono starts to gain traction you can bet that Apple will step up its
offerings in this area.

By Buying Pono ...

Hide this!Advertise here!