John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then on an entirely different subject. A local church that we have a good relationship with, asked about improving their sound system in their gymnasium which doubles as an auditorium.

I gave them directions on how to build sound absorbing tubes and panels. Also calculated how many and suggested where to put them.

They actually did the work themselves at a weekend community style session.

We then changed the music store loudspeakers for two pairs of sound columns to cover the room width. One set the typical 18" high 3" driver unit. The other set 6' with woofers. A new 4 channel amplifier of only 150 watts per.

The response I got was:
"HI Ed,

Just wanted to let you know that we had the 50th anniversary at St. Paul's over the weekend with several events in the CLC with the new acoustics and sound system. There were a number of positive comments from not only the staff and tech people that could tell a big improvement, but also ordinary people that commented how much better they could hear in the space. Good job.

Thanks for you help and advice.

Dave"

Now for marketing reasons I asked for a Google review and they passed!

Legit reviews help boost search status. Some other folks like to insert testimonials in their web pages. Looks good but doesn't boost hits.

Yes it used to be yellow pages phone book advertisements, now it is all Google hits!

This from a guy with a two year backlog.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Inside line is many divisions are up for sale. (Think Studer, BSS etc. ) Sorry Dimitri!

All product is supposed to be called Harman.

I was once offered the entire US stock of Studer Revox obsolete spare parts. Didn't have the money at that time. But they knew what a sucker I am for such deals.

Now, where do I get parts for my 15 ips, 1/2 track Studer/Revox A77 ?

-RM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would have loved to grab all those Studer parts! Couldn't afford all that likely. They probably dumped the Revox parts decades ago. :(

Hey Richard,
I have a Tascam BR-20, 15 ips half track machine with no belts, all direct drive. I just hope that those parts haven't been dumped!

Now, where do I get parts for my 15 ips, 1/2 track Studer/Revox A77 ?

-RM

eBay. I should be putting up a few PR99 parts soon. Others also part out old gear. I had a radio station need a working one so they gave me three dead ones. They got back two good ones and I got a bunch of good parts and two bad bits.

You don't want to know what a good capstan motor sold for!

eBay really works for unobtanium parts. I had a matched pair, sequential serial numbers of Langevin power amplifiers. One had been repaired with a universal power transformer. Took a while but I got the exact right one on eBay.

The pair in good working order sounded quite good and sold for over $4,000.00.

Before eBay they would have gone in the dumpster.

I just had a Midas Venice console on my bench. Built in Germany. Both Phillips and Torx to open it. Ribbon cables galore connecting the I/O panel to the front. More cables from the enclosed linear power supply to the front panel. All nicely dressed and cable tied to various bits.

The front panel PC Cards attached by screws and potentiometer collar nuts. Through hole resistors and surface mount ICs. Two adjacent tone control sections making noise and not passing signal. Punching out the tone controls stopped noise but still no signal.

Unable to test without almost complete reassembly.

So since this came out a church with one of our service policies, it goes on eBay and they get a new mixer with a few more inputs. They only really use 11 inputs and three outputs.

I just can't see spending a day or more changing chips I can barely see on a ten year old board, no matter how well built and decent sounding as small as that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
Yes and no. I do some hopeless cases to keep me sharp. That board is only 10 years old, so a relatively new one in our line of work. Normally we write them off for coffee, coke/pepsi or bad AC spike. But, I can also see your point too. Dollars and cents decisions can suggest avenues that don't seem reasonable to others.

The Mission M-Time surround TV stand (a truly odd product). We had two damaged badly by lightening. It was less expensive to buy two brand new ones. I ended up with two brand new M-Time sets minus the actual electronics. I later repaired the two damaged units and used one for a while. I gave the other to another tech that worked for me. On the surface the entire deal looked bonkers, but I saved over $1,000 on my end by doing it that way. The "dead" ones were fixed only because it was slow in the shop and ... why not?

I generally don't sell things. They end up traded, or more likely given to someone who needs whatever it is. I just gave away a larger Sony surround receiver to my nephew. He needed something and this fit the bill. It will be used and looked after, so what more could you ask for?

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.