John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps also just a lot of flutter and noise from mechanical sprocket drive system of the film.
-RM

These were professional 35mm projectors and there is a fairly decent capstan system to isolate the film gating. BTW for those that don't realize it the sound leads the picture by a standard amount controlled by threading the projector to allow for a slack loop to take up the gating "pulses". Going from some old memories. Google found 14 1/2" as the standard offset.

EDIT - Very early sound was via an LP geared to the projector.

Last edited:
well there is a lot of people doing things because they can. Now nothing wrong with chasing PPM distortion for an intellectual challenge but very little evidence there is any good reason for it for audio. Note I am not knocking it, just wondering at what point it started happening and what the real trigger was.

Access to inexpensive SPICE/CAD tools and books such as Self's and Cordell's?

SPICE is a poor way to eliminate the last ppm's of distortion.

True, but it certainly has lowered barriers to entry into some of circuit analysis and design. No longer do people have to learn as much theory to get started mucking around. And some people may not fully understand its limitations, or the limitations of their lumped equivalent models.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Playing an old boxed set, I was puzzled for a second before I remembered that the sides were numbered for stacking on a changer.

I've just picked up one of those. 3 LP set of Bach complete works for solo flute. RCA/ERATO 1975 initial issue. Was $3.99 from half price books in the good old days of cheap second hand vinyl. No idea when it actually was pressed tho as one of the sleeves has an advert for a record that wasnt' released until 1978.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, talking about audio design without understanding it, is the perfect recipe for disaster. '-)

Good place for a long over due comment;

There are plenty of designers who are well versed on theory and text books and CAD use..... As is seen by the many different ways to make an amplifier circuit and topologies. Many ways to get a good THD or IM or S/N, SR etc. And so many brands and a constant supply of reviews year after year. Yet, this has not produced a solid brand at the top.....
Except, a handful of brands whose designers integrated circuitry and build with correlated listening evaluations. Those brands do have a consistent track record of being ranked at the top.

THx-RNMarsh

Bill,

London (Decca, USA, printed in UK) has alternating discs meant for a machine that plays one after another. Decca releases that are identical are not this way. ex. London side 1 would have side 6 on the other side and Decca would be 1/2.

A shameless plug, I'm selling two of the best sounding classical LP's ever made in the market place.

Good place for a long over due comment;

There are plenty of designers who are well versed on theory and text books and CAD use..... As is seen by the many different ways to make an amplifier circuit and topologies. Many ways to get a good THD or IM or S/N, SR etc. And so many brands and a constant supply of reviews year after year. Yet, this has not produced a solid brand at the top.....
Except, a handful of brands whose designers integrated circuitry and build with correlated listening evaluations. Those brands do have a consistent track record of being ranked at the top.

What do you consider a solid brand at the top? The top 99.9 percent
in market value and numbers do not belong to a single "High end"
company.

Is the BT a successful product? I don't think so. Microscopic market
penetration at an outrageous price. How many have been built?
A dozen or two. How many have been sold? I mean, at the price.
Most are still in the hands of the originators or maybe "reviewers"/
opinion builders. A financial fiasco as we could learn in the beginning
of the thread.

The most visible impact on the industry are two monster treads
in the lounge section of an audio amateur forum.

Sorry, but this constant hybris requires clear words.

Gerhard

And now off to the Amsterdam van Gogh museum.

Maybe he would have lent you an ear.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,

London (Decca, USA, printed in UK) has alternating discs meant for a machine that plays one after another. Decca releases that are identical are not this way. ex. London side 1 would have side 6 on the other side and Decca would be 1/2.

A shameless plug, I'm selling two of the best sounding classical LP's ever made in the market place.

Too rich for me. I'm currently enjoying a slew of $3 purchases I made back in the 90s from half price books. Just discovered a never opened voxbox set of mozart solo flute works that I paid a hideous $2 for :).

One of my distinctions between an engineer and a technician is an engineer can take a vaguely defined problem, clarify it and then produce a solution. A technician requires a well defined problem and then can assemble the components to get the desired results.

For example I can direct a technician to design and build an amplifier with a bandpass of 20-20,000 Hz with a distortion of less than .05% at 1 W and capable of driving a nominal 4 ohm load to 25 volts.

I would give an engineer the goal to produce a good sounding amplifier to drive a loudspeaker.

A scientist would have the problem of what does it take to reproduce a piece of music in a room in a residence. (Far more possible answers! For example a player piano would be a solution.)

I would give an engineer the goal to produce a good sounding amplifier to drive a loudspeaker.

A scientist would have the problem of what does it take to reproduce a piece of music in a room in a residence. (Far more possible answers! For example a player piano would be a solution.)

If you would consider a player piano a valid solution for the scientist, then it would also appear to be valid for the engineer to purchase an amplifier. Of course, that may have been your intention.

In addition, I wonder how "One Note Samba" would came across on a player piano?
EDIT: Or perhaps, something with a lot of pitch bends, say extreme whammy bar usage? Or, maybe micro-tonal music?
In other words, there would seem to be a range of examples where a player piano would be poor solution. Then again, a kazoo might be more versatile for some things, and very low cost as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.