John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4517 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2013, 09:00 PM   #45161
diyAudio Member

I find the hi fi evaluation to be a long careful process. I am now changing my speakers to something 'better' than the Sequerra Met 7's. They should be better since they are more than 30 times more expensive to purchase. However, I am STARTING with the same feed as I normally use for the Sequerras, to note the difference, all else being equal. It is the TV feed, not my reference feed, so it is not as clear or extended, but the speakers do make some difference. One thing that I noticed, as I did with the WATT1's, that are heavy acrylic and lead lined, is the lack of cabinet 'cry'. The Sequerras are pretty good but not as good as the Wilson's.
This is an interesting subject that gets less attention than it deserves, and it is NOT necessarily obvious as to the solution.
IF some of you will just LOOK at the GD Movie, you will see what we tried to do to make a good speaker cabinet and array, and it weighted thousands of kilos. Yet, I would not do it that way today. Why? Cabinet Q. This might be an interesting subject to discuss, there are very good articles, even in the AES, starting from 1975, in my experience.
Old 29th November 2013, 09:06 PM   #45162
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pretty good thread right here:

how much cabinet sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
IF some of you will just LOOK at the GD Movie, you will see what we tried to do to make a good speaker cabinet and array, and it weighted thousands of kilos. Yet, I would not do it that way today. Why? Cabinet Q. This might be an interesting subject to discuss, there are very good articles, even in the AES, starting from 1975, in my experience.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:30 PM   #45163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They should be better since they are more than 30 times more expensive to purchase
That says it it all. Get it through your noggin that does not follow at all not by any measure. There is no connection between price and value in the audio realm.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:31 PM   #45164
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However, I am STARTING with the same feed as I normally use for the Sequerras, to note the difference, all else being equal. It is the TV feed, not my reference feed, so it is not as clear or extended, but the speakers do make some difference.
One should hope so ...

What would be interesting, once reference feed is hooked up, and the Wilsons totally grooved in ... is to quickly switch back to the Sequerras on that same feed, changing nothing else ... and estimating, judging what's 'lost' ...
Old 29th November 2013, 10:33 PM   #45165
diyAudio Member

I own both, Scott. What do you have to compare with?
Everybody, I learned about the importance of cabinet resonance from D.A. Barlow, who I met at the London, AES in 1975. He had the same problems then (in 1975) as I have here today.

Last edited by john curl; 29th November 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 30th November 2013, 12:23 AM   #45166
diyAudio Member

Default didn't pass the test I guess

Quote:
I own both, Scott. What do you have to compare with?
Everybody, I learned about the importance of cabinet resonance from D.A. Barlow, who I met at the London, AES in 1975. He had the same problems then (in 1975) as I have here today.
guess the 'learnin' from '75 wasn't 'takin' if'n your still havin' the problim today.... 38 years later???

What happened?
Old 30th November 2013, 12:54 AM   #45167
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

My doctor told me he has been practicing medicine for over 30 years, I said, give me a call when you get it right.
Old 30th November 2013, 02:18 AM   #45168
diyAudio Member

The problem was in 1975 as it is today, that there is a percentage of people who just don't want to bothered with inconvenient details, so they will try to suppress what you have found. Please note that Barlow was one of the first to go into detail about cabinet resonances.
Old 30th November 2013, 07:20 AM   #45169
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
about cabinet resonances.
instinctivrly, I tend to favour the approach of the cabinet bring rock solid with only the speakers & air vibrating, but others claim that allowing the cabinet to move in a controlled ( damped ) way gives a more natural sound. would be interested to hear your views
Old 30th November 2013, 07:20 AM   #45170
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
That says it it all. Get it through your noggin that does not follow at all not by any measure. There is no connection between price and value in the audio realm.
Thats a pretty big blanket .....

Hide this!Advertise here!