John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what would happen if we build audio with the same attitude as these example creations? What would happen if each component part is the best, most perfect part, best in every way pcb and best topology and over the top performance as an integrated design?

Each component part is the "best"??? I think you will have to create new transistors... And I guess it will be more expensive than the car creation...

It never really made sense to me, the comparison of cars and audio gear.

It's about the "effort" (perspective). From looking at how Richard build his amps, he definitely puts that "effort" into the building. Unfortunately, audio is more about the circuit than the build itself.

I think my all-out effort will be a a huge class-A with matched output stage transistors. Input stage will be tube (if it will work) or at least rare FET (something better than K170/J74).

It's about the "effort" (perspective). From looking at how Richard build his amps, he definitely puts that "effort" into the building. Unfortunately, audio is more about the circuit than the build itself.
There is a lot of technology out there but usually audio gets paralleled with cars. Why not televisions? Never do do I see that parallel. How about espresso machines? Cameras?

I think my all-out effort will be a a huge class-A with matched output stage transistors. Input stage will be tube (if it will work) or at least rare FET (something better than K170/J74).
Make it both.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
But it almost always defaults to cars. Always seemed shallow to me.

---- Everyone has or had a car or been in a few.

It has nothing to do with subject of making audio systems be the best possible.

use camera's then.... what effort and quality for perfection goes into a Hasselblad H4D 200M? If you prefer.

I am describing the effort to make highest high-end in audio. JC is of that mind set. Wish there were a few more like him to talk with.
and why I don't mind delving into 2nd, 3rd etc order issues.

There is good audio and there is better audio and there is/can be truly high-End audio. The best. Are we there yet? If so... where?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
My best circuits are full complementary, sometimes quad comp, open loop jfet circuits, without any global negative feedback.

Hi John,
You prefer non global NFB and you prefer jfet. With no global NFB and jfet as a gain device(aside unobtainable complementary pairs) the gain is all over the place without painstakingly matching. Have you ever used a current conveyor as a gain stage in your design? A current conveyor gain is set by resistor ratio(strange in GNFB too) and not influenced(?) by semiconductors.
In my preamp GainWire I use jfets with no global NFB and matching is needed only to control DC offset. In GainWire mk2 I use bjt only and have a jumper to to set NGNFB or CFA. Both are with current conveyor. Some who have built that preamp prefer NGNFB and some CFA.
Best wishes
Damir

Joined 2014
Paid Member
use camera's then.... what effort and quality for perfection goes into a Hasselblad H4D 200M? If you prefer.

THx-RNMarsh

Hasselblad are to a degree compromised by history, so not a good choice. Like Nikon insisting old lenses had to work on new cameras for a long time. I rather like the Leica S for when you have to have the sharpest, but for effort and quality I have to say that RED have them both licked.

Note that quality is not defined by who advertises in National Geographic!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Cameras are an interesting analogy. By and large, most practitioners will tell you that going for ever higher resolution brings little additional benefit to the finished product (the picture) - think about the discussions re distortion or digital resolution around here as a comparison. You need to focus on making sure your lenses are good enough - this is where most photographers have the bulk of their investment. The other area is post processing if you are into that sort of thing. Then there's a whole host of genre's that photographers can specialize in - e.g street photography (think vinyl, 10W SET and 96 dB horns - warts and all), landscape (tube with ESL's), portrait (digital HD, class D) etc.

They argue about which brand has the best lenses, or best body, whether Lightroom is better than Photoshop and so on. But very few argue that the measurements are not valid the way they do in some audio circles.

Last edited:
I have never seen a digital camera or digital display that get colors right. In the case of cameras, the problem apparently is a function of sensor physics. Having no fix for that, we ignore it and focus on areas where we have a chance of doing some good. Lens quality is one such area. The main problem there seems to be that good lenses are expensive, and often of large size and weight, at least as compared to sensors and associated electronics.

Is there a device gamut that covers human perception totally?

Camera side is way, way, way closer to covering the human color spectra than any of our reproduction methods, which barely escape AdobeRGB's gamut.

But I think a similar philosophy needs taking to one you previously mentioned about live vs recorded music: seeing things in real life and via photograph are distinct entities that should be enjoyed for their respective merits. :)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have never seen a digital camera or digital display that get colors right. In the case of cameras, the problem apparently is a function of sensor physics. Having no fix for that, we ignore it and focus on areas where we have a chance of doing some good. Lens quality is one such area. The main problem there seems to be that good lenses are expensive, and often of large size and weight, at least as compared to sensors and associated electronics.

Agree. Very tough to do and that's why a lot of the professional stuff relies heavily on post processing.

I'm more 'loosey goosey' and just make basic corrections in Picasa - hardly ever use PS. Some of the HDR stuff though is so far removed from reality that color correction doesn't come into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.