John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan, clever idea!

I'm interested.
Please tell more about what is behind the test panel itself?
Or is all that revealed in the article?
In which case, I will send more USD and get a copy...
...fwiw, your publication is excellent. Even if SY does write some articles.
His articles are good too. :D

A lot depends on the specifics of how the vinyl was done, how the digital was done and what the music is, but it is still valid to compare the digital to the LP, but it's not completely valid to generalize beyond this test, on the basis of solely this test. Hope that is reasonable??

Oh, also that the playback is clearly going to have some limitation based on whatever playback via computer is employed... other than this, not much to think about...

...hard to ignore results that are not seen or read by that many... best to say something else? I won't ignore them once having them. Drawing conclusions, that's another matter, that's were too many go astray, imo.

Yes, and why is there a charge for taking this "test drive"??

And, once I pay is that for a one-time only test?
or can I do it more than once, like first with headphones on the computer,
and then via a USB -->DAC--->main system??

The other thing, is that I don't want to read the article at all before listening...
...no expectations and no bias going in.

Oh, the source material is of critical importance - looks like short clips???
Or did I see that wrong??
Short clips changes perception substantially, in my experience.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, and why is there a charge for taking this "test drive"??

Because I need it to pay the author? To pay the layout guy? The printer? The shipper? The webmaster?

I don't know, what do you think? I find it intriguing that you spend hours and hours and gigabytes of bandwidth equivalent to continue to ask questions that (one may assume) you want to know the answer to, and then do not want to risk $ 0.49 for the chance that you could actually get an answer?

Are you OK Randy?

Jan

Because I need it to pay the author? To pay the layout guy? The printer? The shipper? The webmaster?

I didn't say you were doing anything bad. There are good salespeople who sell good products well worth the money. But I still see some that are better at it than others.

Getting back to the fact that people tend to ignore it, of course people ignore or discount evidence they don't like and attribute importance to evidence they do like. Both sides here do that.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I didn't say you were doing anything bad. There are good salespeople who sell good products well worth the money. But I still see some that are better at it than others.

1 - You reacted to a post that was not directed at you, but was a reply to Bear; 2 -I am not a salesman; I'm actually rather bad at it;
3 - Actually I don't give a hoot about what you think I am doing, sorry to disappoint you.

Jan

I don't know, what do you think? I find it intriguing that you spend hours and hours and gigabytes of bandwidth equivalent to continue to ask questions that (one may assume) you want to know the answer to, and then do not want to risk $ 0.49 for the chance that you could actually get an answer?

Are you OK Randy?

Jan

Do you need money, Jan?
Is the magazine losing you $$?
I thought this was a "feature" of the magazine, that's all.

I did ask IF the payment was per-play or one time?

If you need a contribution to keep it going, I can likely send you something modest.

You know that the price per issue, while well worth it given the quality of the articles being so high, is still not low. Also, the presumption out here in the reader's side is that like Audio Amateur, the articles are sent in gratis, or else they are paid at a very modest rate - dunno. But I guess you do have to pay for the other services... so no complaints really.

And, it's 0.49 EURO, which probably like about $1.00 USD, unless the exchange rate is closer than when I looked at it some years back, but that's not the issue at all.

Gotta stay calm, my friend, stay calm! :hphones:

Sorry, I just meant honesty (no cheating) so the listener really does not know which is which.
I have run half a dozen test sessions with friends where I sighted fitted, visually identical real or dummy dongles.
In these cases, this was on the owners systems, and the owners were trained and understood/recognised the filtered sound.....100% result.
The key here is that the result is a solid preference....it's not like swapping a line cable and listening for some pretty small change in signature, the change here is much more than that, and on more levels.
If you made some real and some fake dongles that were visually indistinguishable and gave a random mix out you could even do sighted tests.
Good suggestion, good way to measure expectation bias.

Dan.

Mike added vinyl surface noise to the start of those tracks that posed as vinyl but were actually digital, and apparently it was enough to be totally convincing.

Such things will always bother the purists and bear might find out there was not religious care taken in all the DAC & A/D selection. Interesting that the premise that the low level amplitude and phase wander of vinyl is part of the appeal could be discounted somewhat by the article.

download the part that plays stuff??

clearly, IF I buy the printed edition, the MAGAZINE, what the download @0.49 gives is unclear, printed media doesn't play computer based audio...
...so do I get free access to the file player? Or, do I buy the magazine, then pay to play the files? Fine, but not 100% clear.

trying to understand - it's not clear from the webpage what you get.

And as I asked, pay PER play??
Which is fine, but in that case I will obviously take more time to get the setup right.
And, do you get to play it indefinitely until you close the page, or do you get to play each file once?

Small things that one could find out "the hard way" - which at 50cents a pop becomes a mere annoyance. Like the instructions with certain imported gear that don't really tell you what you need in the form of some point or detail or another...

you know these things, because you put it there, I only read what I see, and maybe miss things if they are not made extra clear or spelled out. that's how most people work, which is why some websites & other print/internet sites and media are better than others.

_-_-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.