John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful not to shoot the messenger.

Dan.

Audioquest - no comment, total psuedo-science with no basis in reality.

The fuses, those measurements would require extreme care in a professional cal lab to even be attempted. The resistance measurements would require a 4 point Kelvin measurement with exact placement and temperature control of the entire set-up. The thermo-couple measurements would require exact temperature equilibration of both ends of the fuse to tiny fractions of a degree.

IMO all the measurements given are within the noise and meaningless.

I'm waiting for quintessence to be brought to the table.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=quintessence

EDIT - Demian already said essentially the same thing re. the measurements

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The 7722(a) and earlier/later VP models came under 3 different brand names, Mr. Marsh.

(the 7722 has the best ever front panel design, imo)

IIRC, those brands belong to same mfr (National, Lavear). It's all Panasonic now. From my choices here to use, it is the best one for THD and IM. Fast and accurate and easy to use. Second would be my ShibaSoku 725D but the filters add a lot of noise in some conditions. The A-P is the last but certainly not least as it can do so many more tests. It is accurate but not a quick setup and needs a lot of time to get thru the software usage/learning curve. Still some bugs.

--Mr Marsh :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So many electrons spent on yours truly, you guys appear to take me as serious as a heart attack. Really, it's not worth of.

Waly, my dear man, you often have good information .... but being couched in mean-spirited hyper boil does you in. Get the chip off your shoulder when you write to me and we (me) might like the contribution and give it more serious consideration.

There seems to be some idea that I consider myself some audio design guru. I do not know how that got started. I haven't done much new in audio for the past 10+ years. Only recently I designed for myself a headphone amp after spending serious money on IC based one which left me under-whelmed. It is a hobby interest and sometimes I get deeply interested in certain aspects of it now and then.

THx- Richard Marsh

Last edited:
IIRC, those brands belong to same mfr (National, Lavear). It's all Panasonic now. From my choices here to use, it is the best one for THD and IM. Fast and accurate and easy to use. Second would be my ShibaSoku 725D but the filters add a lot of noise in some conditions. The A-P is the last but certainly not least as it can do so many more tests. It is accurate but not a quick setup and needs a lot of time to get thru the software usage/learning curve. Still some bugs.

--Mr Marsh :)

RNM,

I assume you know once you get your AP setup for a specific test you can under the file menu, save the setup and recall it by just clicking on an icon with your choice of label. Then after a bit you have so many saved tests you can't find the one you want!

ES

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm already going to LIGO this month it will have to wait. Sorry if I was misunderstood I simply am bothered by someone charging $500 or more to put a user interface on algorithms they downloaded for free.

Hope you can give us a quick report on LIGO Scott - quite the most exciting thing to come along in years (sorry to the Higgs Bosun fans out there - I am a just sucker for Einstein theories).

Separately, the arrival of Juno in the last week or so should dish up some fantastic science over the next few years.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Waly, my dear man, you often have good information .... but being couched in mean-spirited hyper boil does you in. Get the chip off your shoulder when you write to me and we (me) might like the contribution and give it more serious consideration.

There seems to be some idea that I consider myself some audio design guru. I do not know how that got started. I haven't done much new in audio for the past 10 years. It is a hobby interest and sometimes I get deeply interested in certain aspects of it now and then.

THx- Richard Marsh

I did offer to coach him - he immediately assumed I wanted to lecture him on EE.

I've had to hold the hand and nurture about a dozen or so bright young things the last twenty years or so on 'work', 'corporate' and life skills. Some made it (to director/VP level) others remained in awe of their own intellect and fell by the wayside. Welcome to the real world.

Hope you can give us a quick report on LIGO Scott

I hope I can sneak out a few pics, we've been promised a private trip into the guts of the thing.

I have to repeat I'm sorry for my tangent I simply wanted to stress that the scientific community is based on collaboration and sharing and generally not commercial interests. The average person with a little savvy can cull a lot benefit from this, everyone's mileage varies.

re LIDO; I would be interested in how the opamp was used to such good affect.

The guys from CALTECH will be there and we plan on a discussion around the actual schematics. The socket in question is the active supply setting the laser current/amplitude. It needs 1 part in 10^^9 amplitude stability (yes PSRR :)). Ironically they actually rolled op-amps, I'll never live it down, and came upon their solution. As I mentioned before the instrument noise floor is unit-less and given in strain which is a delta length over length of ~10^^-23.

BTW it's in Hanford a place you must know enough about to have to kill us if you talked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.