John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked on the Harman automotive amp line '87-'88. The big brass ring was to get Ford Quality 1 Supplier certification. All semiconductors had to be stored in anti-static containers. I watched as the power amp IC's were taken out of the factory cardboard boxes and put into antistatic bags. I pointed this out to the floor manager and got the dog tilting head look.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I lived in a design/manufacturing/test environment through Taguchi, JIT, and SPC.

I had quality circles, TQM, SPC and then six sigma. Given the individually tuned RF circuits in some critical locations we chortled at trying to apply something that works for camshaft deliveries to Ford. But, the one that annoys me and makes me glad I'm not working for a major telco with a red logo any more is the six sigma black belt. Six sigma is fine, even if I suspect Motorola unleashed it to both allow themselves sloppier margins on some part and to slow down the competition as they raced to adopt it. But it only works on large sample sizes and not on people, gantt charts etc.

Dilbert of course has it perfectly
Dilbert Comic Strip on 1993-08-25 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Dilbert Comic Strip on 1993-08-26 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Dilbert Comic Strip on 1993-08-27 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Dilbert Comic Strip on 1993-08-28 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Oldies are the best...

The other problem with QA is they want a manufacturer of a part to show a distribution function for, say, base-emitter voltage. Whatever the fashionable metric is at that point, 6 sigma etc., the assumption is that with enough samples you might find that it was 100mV or 1 volt.

Same with noise, look long enough you get one that has none. Frankly there are are standard distributions for these things and any QA guy with an education should be aware of them.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Those Dilberts are all priceless. I like the Ishikawa one the most.

I got a personal thank you note from Sidney when Harman passed a quality audit by Ford. He got it a little garbled, as it read "Design of Failure Mode Effects Analysis", but it was still cool.

Oh jeez this is bringing back memories - AEC100, DoE, 8 D process, three different lots of 77 devices, the seven Why's and indeed FMEA's and battles with the production guys and the customers

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is a bit more to do with shielding and layout to make sure you actually get there. Then there is the difference between the specs on the LM337. The ON data sheet shows more like 42 dB in the critical mid audio bands of interest.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM337-D.PDF

But CR2C Series pass regulator followed by a decent shunt should get you there with low noise and control of the current paths.

I use a split - I.e completely independent - secondary transformer with dedicated FWB and filter caps per winding. I then use the 317 reg, or 7815 depending on my mood after which I simply stack the outputs to get a split supply. The positive reg specs are generally better than the neg reg specs.

Kaizen events with sticky notes in colors on the wall, oh the joys. Walk through Gemba inspections once a week with all the managers asking what you did last week and what you were going to do this week, of course those were the same managers that ignored your request to look at something they needed to take care of.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Pretty easy to get PSRR below 1 part in (2 to the 18th power) = -108 dB. Just cascade two regulators that each give -55dB. Whichever one of them has lower noise and better HF response, put him last (nearest the payload). Example: John Curl's LM337 series mode voltage regulator IC (-66dB) in first position, followed by shunt mode discrete voltage regulator card (-60dB) using a power MOSFET as the shunt element, in second position. Wallah, more than 18 bits of negative power supply voltage purity.

:cool::)

Practical advise.

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I asked the question how much PSRR is required for home audio conditions. It is along the lines of inquiry for how low THD is required or how wide freq response is required or how high slew rate is required, dynamic range required, ETC.

Interesting that the ones who usually complain if I pick the number have no input re PSRR. When I pick the threshold number, I get all manner of objections and require 'proof'.

Saying make it as high as possible is like saying make the distortion as low as possible.

I presume there is also a PSRR number or equivalent (normalized?) that is minimum for a typical/normal home high quality audio?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I asked the question how much PSRR is required for home audio conditions. It is along the lines of inquiry for how low THD is required or how wide freq response is required or how high slew rate is required, dynamic range required, ETC.

No, it is not. Noise is, but that's only one variable to hit a noise target, and that noise target is referenced to a specific function in the audio chain. For example, if my microphone has 100 uvolt of noise, that's bad. If my power amp has 100 uvolt of noise, that's likely fine. Noise, not PSRR.

I can achieve that noise by balancing and combining different attributes in an overall circuit (PSRR is only one of them), and the possible combinations are infinite.

So, you're asking a meaningless question. It is along the lines of "how long should a string be?"

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Regulators are great, but the really difficult problems are their voltage references. Fortunately, we can filter the pee out of noisy ones so that for audio purposes the residual low frequency noise is inaudible.

But I like to make the gain stages as immune to the power supply as possible.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You're smart enough to know that the -130dB etc. THD stuff is pretty stupid. There is real work needed on the basic sources/transducers far before this point.

Well, of course. But it is a lot fun to learn how to get to -130 and beyond. Its a challenge beyond just audio. And, in the end, doesnt cost more.

I do not make basic sources. Microphones. Nor speakers. That is a problem others will need to address.

There exists already great sources and speakers but few want to build, buy or sell them, unfortunately. Newer low noise mic preamps are a step forward.

So - besides SY and his obviousness --- can you or someone make an attempt to put a number on it... with supporting qualifiers if needed. If <-130dB THD is not required, maybe 120dB PSRR is not needed (for home audio) either.

THx-Richard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.