John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2013, 11:55 AM   #41041
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Curl is a close friend, hardly the person one can expect to apostatize.
And for all you know, autographed a piece of paper somewhere in time.
(in my nation, one is 100% guilty until 100% proven otherwise, just no need to be disrespectfull and discourteous)

On a 10-item Quack checklist, the BB gun scores an A+
Doesn't require a brain, preconditioning, or prejudice.

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 3rd July 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:21 PM   #41042
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah, but if you read the customer testimonials, there is the obligatory "wife in the kitchen" one, so I now have to reverse my views in light of this new information...
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:18 PM   #41043
diyAudio Member

Back when I studied physical geography at the Amsterdam university, quite some time in the fresh years was devoted on reading publications.

One was taught that the various 'academics' had to write and publish a minimum number of articles on an annual basis, as per the contract's small print.
As most rather preferred to divide all of their attention on a personal baby, at the very least, three-quarters of the (research + projects +) publications were one-night stands, and total Duck Smeg. (© Lister, Red Dwarf)

More efficient use of time, instead of wading through piles of paperwork, proved to be checking for remnants of feathers and footprints, listening closely to hear a Quack, and smell the edges for Yucky residue.

(best one can happen, is to stumble on a professor during off-hours, with his dick stuck in a hooker)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 3rd July 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:21 PM   #41044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Pain appears for a reason. It’s a warning that something goes wrong. >Edit: or that something extraordinary happens (e.g.birth)
The head nurse walked up, said leave this one alone..

She could tell right away...

jn
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:23 PM   #41045
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

It is becoming ever more clear to me that this particular forum is mostly about bashing something.... usually what is called the High End. So be it. Apparently this has been going on for years here.

There is what is audible and what is not and how to prove either.

I have tested my hearing abilities and know a few things about my hearing limits. On the other hand, I also like to know a lot more in detail about subjects. Even esoteric things that may or may not be audible at all. And, if I were to build something, and it wasnt terribly expensive to use... I would use the best part no matter what. I just like knowing that the total sum of everything going into the project adds up to the cleanest sound and has some feeling/sense that it is nicely made; Bordering on the athetics and arts in me. This is where the High-End is at, IMO. Its more than what is audible and what isnt.

However, in the free marketing atmosphere here in the good old US of A's, just about any claim can and is made. That ruins it for the rest of us. So, now I have to spend a little time on this ByBee thing and decide for myself where it falls. I dont expect the bashing to stop here.... thanks for the other forums!

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd July 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:28 PM   #41046
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
checking for remnants of feathers
You see Jacco, even in these activities, fetishism (aka in need of placebo effect ) and fetish toys (aka snake-oil) prevail.

As for the prof caught-up on action (they too are humans), Mr. Curl has admitted listening to music from a tabletop radio.

And I never implied him apostatizing. Having a critical eye on a friend is a friendly action

George

Last edited by gpapag; 3rd July 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 3rd July 2013, 03:42 PM   #41047
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
This is where the High-End is at, IMO. Its more than what is audible and what isnt.
No-one disagrees with that. It's a fashion business. Where the contentiousness arises is from unsupported and unsupportable claims about physical processes and audibility that transcend the gestalt of the pretty and expensive box with a nice story attached.
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:02 PM   #41048
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I just like knowing that the total sum of everything going into the project adds up to the cleanest sound and has some feeling/sense that it is nicely made; Bordering on the aesthetics and arts in me.
100% agree, and likely goes for any engineer.
Up to that exclamation point, it is not equivalent to fashion, imo.
H'audio Vogue starts where looks and fads gain priority over solid engineering, instead of complementing it.

(Prof's can be caught in metaphors too)
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:11 PM   #41049
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

I agree as well with what is said here.

But I cringe when a popular maker of audio equipment (and who also receives rave reviews in the mags) throws in resistors across the voltage rails of the pre-amp just to warm up the chassis because it is labeled as class A.

IIRC, there was some thread a year or so ago and even a former tech who worked for the company admitted that these were there solely for that purpose. The thread was bashing the company but more from the point of how badly engineered it was.
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:11 PM   #41050
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

High end audio (i am talking about the very high end, not the mid-fi stuff John is involved in) is akin to Haute Couture.

I was amazed to learn that the whole industry has a clientele of some 200 ( yes 200). But, a single, piece will set the buyer back starting at $50k, with the norm at $500k. No even the Hollywood A list qualify since they simply borrow off the rack $5k or $10k pieces. This stuff is truly aimed at the 1%.

So, $100k for an amp is cheap my friends. Cheap.

Last edited by Bonsai; 3rd July 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!