John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4053 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2013, 01:52 PM   #40521
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I was wondering while doing some really small layouts (silly small, to go in cables) whether there would be any mileage in having some amplification in a turntables head shell to process the signal as close to the cartridge as possible and thus transmit a stronger signal to the pre-amp.
This was done back in the early '80s. I worked with Murray Zeligman to develop a "Headamp in a Headshell" for Dynavector, who was marketing a line of low output MCs, as well as a tonearm. Remote powered, CM860 FETs. Dynavector didn't end up using it, but it was sold for a little while by the late, lamented Audio Dimensions.
Old 21st June 2013, 02:26 PM   #40522
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

But with modern packaging and hopefully some improvements in op-amps etc would it be worth some thought. Just curious, as I said I'm doing some silly small layout at the moment, 10 layer HDI, very weight conscious, so I was pondering the possibility of what circuitry you could get in a head shell. Also the evolution of sensors for engines and similar, and how they have gone from dumb basic transducers, to remote intelligent units connected by the CAN bus.
Cheers.
Old 21st June 2013, 03:01 PM   #40523
diyAudio Moderator

It's very do-able (our early effort worked very well) from a technical standpoint. The problem is marketing it in the fashion niche- there's an analogy to active speakers.
Old 21st June 2013, 04:32 PM   #40524
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, I was thinking it wouldn't be a big commercial success, but as a DIY experiment It may be interesting.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:04 PM   #40525
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
What did he think of just intonation? Harry Partch?
Having grown up with a piano, he imagined piano (i.e., equal temperament) pitch to be perfect. But in his defense he was about 13 during this phase, and to his credit it didn't last very long. I ran into him last at a Hear Now "festival" in Venice CA, which he'd had a hand in organizing. My friend Byron Adams refers to the folks around that group as "the avant-garde ghetto" At one of the concerts I heard a violin solo that involved so much mistreatment of the instrument that I whispered to my friend Ursula that I almost expected the performer to set fire to it, a la Jimi Hendrix. The audience was wildly enthusiastic. Come to think of it, that was the last of their events I attended.

Last edited by bcarso; 21st June 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: equal temperament
Old 21st June 2013, 06:09 PM   #40526
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
It's very do-able (our early effort worked very well) from a technical standpoint. The problem is marketing it in the fashion niche- there's an analogy to active speakers.
That's astute --- no fun if the buyer can't substitute preamps.

When I listened, circa 1977, to music from various sources at his house, then in Tarzana, Keith Johnson was using a modified AR turntable, that ancient springy one, and had at least moved his preamp to the body of the 'table "where it belongs!" as he said when I asked about the holes in the base.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:27 PM   #40527
diyAudio Member

Well guys, I have been complaining about excessive distortion in hi K ceramic caps for the last 39 years. Showed measurement in print in 1978. It is a wonderful thing the EDN 'exposes' this problem to today's engineering audience.
Of course, NPO is better, and even very linear, but how about DA? No thanks, I will stick to polystyrene when I can.

Last edited by john curl; 21st June 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:51 PM   #40528
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
That's astute --- no fun if the buyer can't substitute preamps.
He's also committed to one tonearm. Fashion audio customers hate not being able to mix and match and swap frequently.
Old 21st June 2013, 08:01 PM   #40529
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Dimensions memories

Always liked building phono stage in turntable base, also built one with fets in the headshell when I worked at Audio Dimensions in mid seventies but Ike wasn't interested , when I used current source plate loads and leds in cathode he thought I was crazy until I played it for him, then published it in The Update along with my current source diff amp front ends for Dyna tube power amps.
Lost touch with ADI when I was hired my Mike Elliot to work on Hybrid Class A amplifier and IRS speaker system at Infinity with Bascomb King. Never heard what happened with ADI but ran in to co-founder Roger Stovold at Newport show a few weeks ago after 35 years but he had left there before I did , never heard anything about Ike since I left.
Old 21st June 2013, 08:05 PM   #40530
diyAudio Moderator

Ike moved to Baltimore and got out of audio completely. From what I understand through some mutual friends, he developed hearing problems as well, so refocused his efforts into editing and publishing. Nice guy, he's missed.

I still have a bunch of my Updates. I sadly lost the one with the articles about the no-holds-barred preamp and room heater OTL amp that Murray and I built.

Hide this!Advertise here!