John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4052 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2013, 11:49 PM   #40511
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
not me, or bcarso it seems. music does not have to speak to me softly/beautifully, I dont mind being ravaged by it on occasion
My tastes are wide-ranging, and I try to enlarge their scope whenever possible. In a chatroom where I was swiftly granted moderator powers I managed to both listen to very different things and also play some selections that I'd venture few had ever heard. I actually had people listening to the entirety of The Rite of Spring at one point!
Old 21st June 2013, 12:16 AM   #40512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
My tastes are wide-ranging, and I try to enlarge their scope whenever possible. In a chatroom where I was swiftly granted moderator powers I managed to both listen to very different things and also play some selections that I'd venture few had ever heard. I actually had people listening to the entirety of The Rite of Spring at one point!
I've been in groups who think Gershwin is pure noise.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:38 AM   #40513
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

For the Aussie readers, I was fortunate to have a stepson addicted to Triple J, our national 'alternative' radio, in the 80' and 90's, who bought plenty of CDs of the artists who were doing the interesting stuff: Art of Noise, Dolby, etc ...

Got me in the mood for more 'weird' things ...
Old 21st June 2013, 01:00 AM   #40514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I've been in groups who think Gershwin is pure noise.
Fred Gershwin?
Old 21st June 2013, 01:12 AM   #40515
diyAudio Member

My boyhood pal Doug went through a "purity of essence" phase in which he found dissonance, or any hint of what he regarded as "modernism", repugnant. At one point I played the Brahms second piano concerto and pointed out one added-ninth chord. "NOISE!" he shouted.

Needless to say this didn't last very long. His brother, the late philosopher Denis Dutton, was considerably older and would expose us to more adventuresome material. It's interesting to note how much some of it was utterly incomprehensible to me then, and now sounds anything but.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:47 AM   #40516
diyAudio Member

OT (from music): A nice illustration of capacitor distortion here: Signal distortion from high-K ceramic capacitors | EDN
(including some of the comments).

jan
Old 21st June 2013, 11:26 AM   #40517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
OT (from music): A nice illustration of capacitor distortion here: Signal distortion from high-K ceramic capacitors | EDN
(including some of the comments).

jan
Groner shared some of his measurements with me recently. I will wait for him to publish, but he did to some extent corroborate the EDN piece.

These considerations just drove me to switch to a fairly expensive C0G part in a filter chain, in lieu of the layout guy's X7R selection, although for the application only even-order distortion was a concern. And as can be seen, and which makes a good deal of sense, is that even-order is much lower than odd-order.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:56 AM   #40518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
My boyhood pal Doug went through a "purity of essence" phase in which he found dissonance, or any hint of what he regarded as "modernism", repugnant.
What did he think of just intonation? Harry Partch?
Old 21st June 2013, 12:00 PM   #40519
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

COG(NP0) should always be used over X7Rs in any sensitive analogue (or digital circuitry, eg clocks) circuitry. Z7Rs are excellent for general decoupling as they can be sourced in small (low inductance) SMD packages, but again for critical clock circuitry (all clocks) small value COG next to the device pins with larger X7R further out provide a better performance than X7Rs alone, even though the package size has to increase (100p X7R 0201 package, same value COG 0603 package).
I know some don't like SMD, but for low level analogue you can create some really tight placement and routing, minimising loop area, especially of critical connections such as feedback, this is a desirable feature if for no other reason to minimise the size of any dipole structures formed by the layout and thus minimise the circuits susceptibility to airborne EMC pick up.
I was wondering while doing some really small layouts (silly small, to go in cables) whether there would be any mileage in having some amplification in a turntables head shell to process the signal as close to the cartridge as possible and thus transmit a stronger signal to the pre-amp.
Just for John and Fas42, you could even DIGITISE the signal and send a data stream.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:38 PM   #40520
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Now marce, I can recognize the benefits of that! What a great idea! And to overcome any dynamic range issues, we could just transmit the signal as a current!!

Cool!

Hide this!Advertise here!