Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2010, 04:25 PM   #4021
diyAudio Member

We understand, Pavel, and I agree that this is important. Thermal capacitance is the key, and, of course, tempco. This is one of the reasons why I specified Holco resistors as feedback resistors, approximately 20 years ago, in the Parasound HCA2200. Thicker leads and larger body than even 1/2W Resistas.
Old 29th March 2010, 06:25 AM   #4022
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Building a reference divider for surge testing is very challenging. Construction to balance the voltages at high frequencies uses lots of tricks to compensate for errors. Here are some examples of hv versions: High Voltage Divider Making a small one using similar techniques would make sense. The challenge is verifying its performance.
Old 29th March 2010, 05:43 PM   #4023
diyAudio Member

What I am hoping for and getting, is results that show differences. It is all nice to be as accurate as possible, but nit picking about what COULD go wrong, or what makes a PERFECT test, doesn't show results, just the headaches.
For example, once, Dr. Hawksford 'nit picked' Walt Jung, Scott Wurcer and me, because the EQUATIONS showed that a real capacitor's inductance would effect the NULL. What he overlooked is the the AMOUNT of deviation could easily be controlled by proper choice of the test signal settings, and by bandwidth limiting the test signal with a quality polystyrene cap to have just enough rise-time for the signal to show properly on the oscilloscope screen. This removed the problem that SEEMED so apparent in the equations. Had Dr. Hawskford contacted me in advance, or tried the test, himself, this would have become self evident. However, please remember that Dr. Hawksford and I are competitors, as well as colleagues, and a 'justifiable criticism' by him, might make him look like he was really on top of it. Matti Otala did the same thing to me, on occasion, as well. Seems to be a PhD trait. ;-)
Old 29th March 2010, 08:40 PM   #4024
diyAudio Member

I've been following this thread for so long and I currently have no mean of testing a resistor noise down to -170dB considering the equipments I owned are very old and not calibrated to make such accurate tests.

But I am wondering what's noise is more important to look at. i.e those coming from switching of active devices such as transistors or the noise (thermal/ white/pink/eletctro-magnetic induced noise due to the conduction of electricity in the metal) of passive devices such as resistors?

I understand the concept of everything else matters in a good circuit but the practicality of obtaining such low noise resistors that needs to be matched and pre-selected for a DIY community or mass production seems to be of much difficulty.
Old 29th March 2010, 08:48 PM   #4025
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
However, please remember that Dr. Hawksford and I are competitors, as well as colleagues, and a 'justifiable criticism' by him, might make him look like he was really on top of it. Matti Otala did the same thing to me, on occasion, as well. Seems to be a PhD trait. ;-)
Have you never done this?
Old 29th March 2010, 10:43 PM   #4026
diyAudio Member

Sure.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:08 PM   #4027
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I don't think there's a man who hasn't or will not do it. It's a human trait.
Old 30th March 2010, 03:54 PM   #4028
diyAudio Member

Simon, you may have mentioned it once, but what resistors are you using for the REFERENCE resistors in the bridge?
Old 30th March 2010, 07:13 PM   #4029
Banned

Quote:
However, please remember that Dr. Hawksford and I are competitors
In what sense are you competitors? can you explain?
Old 30th March 2010, 07:58 PM   #4030
diyAudio Member

We both design audio products, as consultants, for money.

Hide this!Advertise here!