John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am thinking there is more to it......
THx-RNMarsh

The definite need of the “HD download on demand” & of the “HD streaming” industries for IP protection on the contents of the distributed files, necessitates some downloadable formats which will have embedded robust watermarking, prohibiting files dublication by the users.
Complex proprietary formats requiring matching proprietary hard/software receivers-decoders is a key element in securing some longevity of this industry.
Adopting file distribution in formats compatible with generic multi-format receivers-DACs, is only good during the introductory phase of the endeavor. Continuing this in the growing and sustaining phases, would be a suicidal decision.
“True high quality” of the downloadable content is one of their concerns, IMO not the number one in their priorities (necessary though for the marketing brochures).

a ziplock bag as the first layer.

This is what SY wanted to know

Thanks for the link

George

My low noise soundcard is in my lab computer, so I'm stuck with doing it inside. I have a 55 gallon drum all ready and I'm heading to Ace later to get the sand. One of the mikes I'm testing has a noise rating of like 10dB, so this would be a great trick.

As for palindromic Fred's comment, the Nak bodies turn out to be a nearly perfect Faraday shield (even the paint is conductive). I suspect any good condenser mic would have to be considering the exposed G Ohm circuitry.

If necessary you could sacrifice a thermos bottle, the vacuum everywhere but around the lid might not require as much sand to get the isolation. As it was it took the commuter rail passing (you know how close it was) to get any serious disturbance. I think B&K uses lead to make their small isolation chambers.

If you see the brownian "bump" at the diaphragm resonance you are OK.

these are my first 4 pairs measured (screen dump from lab notes)

Thank you Gerhard, here are extrapolated Idss values for your pairs

Attachments

• gerhard-1.png
    gerhard-1.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 208
  • gerhard-2.png
    gerhard-2.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 204
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Seen Neil Claxton ?

The g/f and me derived at a compromise agreement that we'd get a Dacia Logan, lowest priced estate on the market.
I'd also have to use it at least once a week, a small price to pay.

I think I'll keep the passat running...See if I can get it to half a million km before it dies.

Wife wants a Phaeton, which is basically the Mycroft to the Bentley's Sherlock. luckily they lose value like almost nothing else so are cheap at 6-8 years old.

As for palindromic Fred's comment, the Nak bodies turn out to be a nearly perfect Faraday shield (even the paint is conductive). I suspect any good condenser mic would have to be considering the exposed G Ohm circuitry.

Good stuff. I think I had in mind you were working with bare electrets.

Anyhow, I need to fix my ECM8000, as it's exceptional at picking up nothing but 60 Hz.

That Rode is rated at <7dBA but I was never able to see a difference from the ones I made from the $60 Primo capsules (EM-21/23) in actual use. B&K wins the pee-peeing contest with a -4dBA special purpose 1" mic (~13KHz BW).

A weighting is key here condensers have very large low frequency noise while the RF mics from Sennheiser do 8dBA with a smaller capsule. Again Peter Baxendall has a very nice article on capacitive bridge/RF mics and their noise issues.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

These cars have far more power than even the best tires can handle..... Traction control is a Must Have feature (and not turned off).
When you gently shift into third at 60mph merging into freeway traffic and lean into the gas peddle and the rear-end starts to do a slight left-right wiggle, you know you have way too much power. Scary quick.. Dangerous.

But with modern Traction Control, cars like the 1001 HP Bugatti Veyron is managable...... 0-60mph in 2.5 sec without loosing traction and driving control.

-RM

Last edited:
These cars have far more power than even the best tires can handle..... Traction control is a Must Have feature (and not turned off).
When you gently shift into third at 60mph merging into freeway traffic and lean into the gas peddle and the rear-end starts to do a slight left-right wiggle, you know you have way too much power. Scary quick.. Dangerous.

But with modern Traction Control, cars like the 1001 HP Bugatti Veyron is managable...... 0-60mph in 2.5 sec without loosing traction and driving control.

-RM
As much as in willing to keep this diversion going, yes, traction control is critical. Heck, going around twisties in my dad's Miata can light it up. Supercars, as much as their excess is fun to read about and watch pro's whip stupid fast Nurembergring times, are lost on public roads and require restraint that 99.9% of their buying public lack (why else would you buy one anyhow?!)

I have a bad enough need for speed on a bicycle, much less anything that is motorized, haha.

Sorta like building an audio amp with 1GHz power bandwidth. :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member

So learn to drive or get a car with less power?

My toy car didn't even have power steering or brakes, let alone traction control. If you took liberties it would kill you. Taught you to think, look ahead and respect the car rather than expect the electronics to save you from your own idiocy. You actually had to drive it.

This discussion of performance cars surely shows me the fundamental makeup of many here. You lived a different life, perhaps prep school, parental control, suppressed social opportunities, MIT, and now judging the loves and successes of others, who grew up differently with fast cars, fast women, and pushing the envelope when we were young.
In each instance there are advantages and disadvantages, but both life approaches can achieve world class goals. For example, the advantage of the prep school life is an easier time with college. But the advantage of the fast life is the thrill of the chase, the social advantages with the opposite sex, and how to work on and improve your own car, for example.
Any hobby, including sampling fine wine, or racing cars should be accepted as OK, just like I accept people who have excessive interest in watching sports or playing golf. I might not do it much, but I don't criticize others putting their time and money into 'wasteful' activities, similar to my making very fast amplifiers. '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.