John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 4005 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2013, 11:57 AM   #40041
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
That's ok. When I was a young buck, I read Walt Jung's Audio magazine article on how to swap op amps and caps to get improved sound from my Philips/Magnavox CD Player. I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and when they arrived, went on a 14 hour session of de-soldering and soldering. I didn't even stop to eat and was pretty woozy at the end. But boy, I was very proud of the result!
LOL I have similar experiences. Even sleeping under the bench, because I was too whacked to drive home, no kidding.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:42 PM   #40042
diyAudio Member

Pavel,

Things still dry for you?

ES
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:01 PM   #40043
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Yeah.
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:23 PM   #40044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Brag racing ?
Plenty of youtubes of these things in fantastic de-construction, my grandfather was a NASCAR fan my only fond memories are the demolishon derbys before hand. There also is a first flight of a maxed out RC jet plane model (~$7000), right up then right down in flames.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 3rd June 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:45 PM   #40045
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Brag racing ?

se
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:53 PM   #40046
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Fathers' Pride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonidos View Post
That's ok. When I was a young buck, I read Walt Jung's Audio magazine article on how to swap op amps and caps to get improved sound from my Philips/Magnavox CD Player. I ordered the parts from Digi-Key and when they arrived, went on a 14 hour session of de-soldering and soldering. I didn't even stop to eat and was pretty woozy at the end. But boy, I was very proud of the result!
Way back when (still at school) my part time job paid for components (I also reused components from scrap from the local tv/radio repair shop), blank pcb, Dalo etch resist pen and ferric chloride.
Out of my imagination came a surface mount pcb (long before I had ever heard of them, much less seen one) amplifier incorporating LM380 chipamp.

By logical reasoning, it turns out that I did everything very correctly.... ground, supply and signal routing wise long before I had read anything more than an app note in a National Semiconductor Applications Handbook in my school library.
A whopping 2.5W per channel , but a whole lot better sounding than the output amplifiers in the Sanyo radiogram that I used as a source, and I even back then I experimented with supply caps and output caps and differentiated sonic changes.

Next was a magazine kit amp using balanced output car amplifier ics....of course that got tweaked, and ended up being an especially good amp.

After that came 'proper' ETI480 amplifiers fitted into a written off Nikko TRM-750 amplifier that did a million parties (with fan cooling).
All sorts of tweaking experiments yielded a really good integrated amp that everybody enjoyed and of course I got to enjoy it myself between parties .....I was proud of the result also...

That all turned into a career in audio electronics repairs, and that has given me great opportunity to audition and build a vast memory library of all manner and forms of audio gear.
Like JC and many others contributing here, this long term (sighted) auditioning becomes very valuable experience.

More later..

Dan.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:05 PM   #40047
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
maxed out
Depends, a friend is in the top class of R/C helicopter competition.
A 3.5'' size costs about $70k to build at home, with NDA signature for the software.

But he's currently co-developing a full-size 2-seater (in-line) with some folks abroad, targetted at a market retail of the same level.
(plus a servo self-balanced walking cane on his own, as a Segway or that Japanese airport luggage 2-wheeler, but tilted backwards instead)

The High-Tech of H1, I fail to see, ancient Lycoming gasturbines.

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 3rd June 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:19 PM   #40048
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Brag racing ?
The High-End of boat racing. Unlimited performance level. The fastest in the world. At what ever cost to get there. The best that can be made. A level far, far above ordinary bragging rights.

If you are going to do something, do the best you can.

-RNm

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd June 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Ordinary vs high-end --
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:30 PM   #40049
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The High-Tech of H1, I fail to see, ancient Lycoming gasturbines.
Sure, like the AA Class -Top Fuel - drag racing engines are really just ancient hemi V-8's.
??

-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd June 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:08 PM   #40050
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Frivolous Boys Toys....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
The High-End of boat racing. Unlimited performance level. The fastest in the world. At what ever cost to get there. The best that can be made. A level far, far above ordinary bragging rights.

If you are going to do something, do the best you can.

-RNm
Greenhouse effect...what greenhouse effect ?....stupendous amounts of fossil fuel expended and to what effect....excepting egos ???.

Dan.

Hide this!Advertise here!