John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lubricant layer between vinyl and stylus goes a long way toward that aim. For many and various mechanical effects, including surface crackle-pop. Join the quest for the perfect DIY vinyl surface friction reduction treatment........

And no it doesn't degrade tracing accuracy, so long as the locus of the stylus path follows the groove V base, which it often can do better. So lower distortion, better noise floor, better lf stability, reduced skate force and improvement to most mechanical artefacts in vinyl playback, without compromise is the grail. Too good to be true, but no matter what forum, it's v difficult to persuade people even to explore............

Back in the 1980s I was persuaded to test a 'fit for purpose' lubricant on vinyl. I won't mention the product but the result was that:

The sound quality of older records with plasticiser migration problems improved dramatically, and

It softened the stylus/cantilever adhesive on my AudioNote Kondo Io cartridge and the stylus flew off somewhere never to be found. :mad:
[It cost a fortune with shipping and taxes when returned. Still my favourite cartridge]

MORAL:;)
Do not try any such lubricant - unless, that is, the maker guarantees to meet the full cost of cartridge repairs!

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Back in the 1980s I was persuaded to test a 'fit for purpose' lubricant on vinyl. I won't mention the product but the result was that:

The sound quality of older records with plasticiser migration problems improved dramatically, and

It softened the stylus/cantilever adhesive on my AudioNote Kondo Io cartridge and the stylus flew off somewhere never to be found. :mad:
[It cost a fortune with shipping and taxes when returned. Still my favourite cartridge]

Do not try any such lubricant - unless, that is, the maker guarantees to meet the full cost of cartridge repairs!
A scary story!

I used to use a bit of 100% ethanol and a brush to clean off stylii. So far no disintegration, but when I put the brush back in a metallized plastic cartridge container, some of the ethanol leaked onto the turntable plastic cover and etched a ring, which the friend who loaned me the 'table was quick to notice. It may have been the trace of benzene in the alcohol. As discussed once somewhere in here with SY, the plastic also was not antistatic, and when I wiped the dust off the top of the cover while a record was playing, the charge lifted the low-mass arm (SME V) off the record!

A sad conclusion to what might have been a success story. Sad to hear the end though Brian.

I was not so trustful as some of you gents. I never trusted anything but a simple soft piece of cloth to handle the LPs, so I didn't have any success stories but also no sad endings.

My usual Decca fibre brush seems to have done a good job. Later on I added a separate arm with a velour brush, tracking just before the stylus, but I cannot report any great gain. I think more of a placebo effect.

Funny dvv, that's exactly what I did.

:)

Andrew, that behaviour follows logically from the custom to take care of the LPs right from the moment of purchase, no leaving on the table, no mixing of sleeves, and simple care they are left untouched by greasy hands by using especially soft and often washed cloth.

The only thing you are often left with is plain static, but a quick pass above the LP with a tape head demagnetizer (mine is a Sony 60W unit (!!!)) gets rid of much of that static. With that, you also reduce much of airborne dust clinging on.

You've been channeling Frank.
Haha, funny you should say that, I did speak to him earlier in the day.
Frank has started a blog "The Art of Audio Conjuring"....verbose account of squeezing more out of an old NAD amp and CD.
Good luck to him, though I suspect he needs a can of contact cleaner.

Scott, my statement was entirely serious...I'm still revlling in the result of my Fleetwood Mac PA rig experiment.
A previous result of same method was Axl Rose pointing at FOH and saying "Wally, is there something you're not telling me, this is the best sound I've ever had".
Another recent experiment was on a $20k Naim system....lifted it from clean, clear but boring, to clean, clear, dynamic, musical and entertaining.
My Bybee has left enough peppercorns to home in what he is doing ;).

Dan.

Last edited:
Haha, funny you should say that, I did speak to him earlier in the day.
Frank has started a blog "The Art of Audio Conjuring"....verbose account of squeezing more out of an old NAD amp and CD.
Good luck to him, though I suspect he needs a can of contact cleaner.

Scott, my statement was entirely serious...I'm still revlling in the result of my Fleetwood Mac PA rig experiment.
A previous result of same method was Axl Rose pointing at FOH and saying "Wally, is there something you're not telling me, this is the best sound I've ever had".
Another recent experiment was on a $20k Naim system....lifted it from clean, clear but boring, to clean, clear, dynamic, musical and entertaining.
My Bybee has left enough peppercorns to home in what he is doing ;).

Dan.

Good for you Max howzabout a public demo? Mr. B isn't doing s**t BTW you aren't that stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.