John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3756 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2013, 09:25 PM   #37551
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
They have no one who understands the numbers, so they go into the owners manual to make them happy. Do you really need to see -150db at 10K to know it has bottomed out?

Note you are looking at the oscillator it gets dived by 256 to become a word clock.

And just what do you expect for freebees?
The unfortunate part is that it then gets multiplied back up to be useful. The Time Probe is a great tool and your freebee was worth well more than you paid. That chart will end any quibbilng about specs. A rational calculation (10 Hz to 100 KHz gives you great bragging rights- 200 fS rms Jitter. Your divider will probably add that much. And its absolutely will not be a limitation with any known ADC or DAC. And you did it without space shuttle tiles. Femtosecond Galaxy Clock
__________________
Demian Martin
Product Design Services
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 09:54 PM   #37552
diyAudio Member
 
Esperado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Ok, I say goodbye to all the talented members of this thread, they will recognize themselves. I took great pleasure to share with you, learned interesting things, and appreciated your friendly community.
There are things I wish above all, technical relevance, equity, and freedom of expression are included.
__________________
Ultimate Protection and more.The Only Source of Knowledge is experience, everything else is just information” ©A. Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 09:57 PM   #37553
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canoga Park, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
The unfortunate part is that it then gets multiplied back up to be useful. The Time Probe is a great tool and your freebee was worth well more than you paid. That chart will end any quibbilng about specs. A rational calculation (10 Hz to 100 KHz gives you great bragging rights- 200 fS rms Jitter. Your divider will probably add that much. And its absolutely will not be a limitation with any known ADC or DAC. And you did it without space shuttle tiles. Femtosecond Galaxy Clock
I see MSB has not suffered unduly from excessive humility
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 09:59 PM   #37554
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canoga Park, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Ok, I say goodbye to all the talented members of this thread, they will recognize themselves. I took great pleasure to share with you, learned interesting things, and appreciated your friendly community.
There are things I wish above all, technical relevance, equity, and freedom of expression are included.
As a late friend used to say, Au reservoir, Christophe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:06 PM   #37555
diyAudio Member
 
Kindhornman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, California
I am not sure what happened Christophe but your input will truly be missed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:13 PM   #37556
diyAudio Member
 
scott wurcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: cambridge ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I see MSB has not suffered unduly from excessive humility
I see the guy worked on the ill fated CED at RCA.
__________________
"The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important."
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 10:21 PM   #37557
diyAudio Member
 
vacuphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seaside
Christophe, please man up and stay on board. Like others I enjoyed your contributions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:30 PM   #37558
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
brass
Mr Simon,

if you look at the rest of the picture, the case construction and parts show that it was sooner ahead of it's time.
On the other hand, at 8 French Francs to the Dollar then, it was a lot of money.

The orchestrator of the flight console is a colorful person in the yacht world.
Whether visionary or opportunist is a personal choice, but the gent is an innovator and does have commercial talent.
Somewhat of a playboy, born with money, usual background story.
Not entirely French by origin, his father was an Egyptian who made a bundle selling American cars, died when the pilot apprentice was four years old. At 35, the navigator grossed $150 million a year, as a Japanese gear importer.

(I saw and heard the item around the time of release, still have the brochure somewhere. can even tell you the first name of the bloke's mother, how sad can one be)

Jean-Christophe doesn't sound like a happy camper.
__________________
The buck stops Here

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 29th March 2013 at 11:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:32 PM   #37559
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canoga Park, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Christophe, please man up and stay on board. Like others I enjoyed your contributions.
Agree. But sometimes one simply needs a break. The downside is you come back to ten thousand more posts to read.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 11:34 PM   #37560
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Canoga Park, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I see the guy worked on the ill fated CED at RCA.
I had to search for that. 600 million. Ouch.

Capacitance Electronic Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: And that's when 600 million was a lot of money
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2