John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3716 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 07:46 PM   #37151
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would have another question. Any electronic circuit adds something and changes the sound in its own way. Why not to replace Blowtorch with high quality stepped attenuator and resistor network? Stepped attenuator of 10k input impedance would have output impedance of 2.5k and less, when driven from low impedance signal source. This is not much more than Blowtorch's 1k output impedance and for practical listening volume setting like -20dB and less the output impedance of the 10k stepped attenuator would be lower than that of Blowtorch. So why not to avoid the electronic circuit that undoubtedly changes the sound in its own way (probably pleasant way?) to get something more neutral. Simpler is better, right?
Old 24th March 2013, 08:14 PM   #37152
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Most test systems I know of have the DUT in a pretty static state when measuring. Even FFT won't easiily show a 1/2 second time constant on a resistor temp change.

Maybe we just need a test that shows what happens on longer time scales. Human hearing takes a finite time to process the stimulus. Is there any research on human response times to level changes etc?
Old 24th March 2013, 08:59 PM   #37153
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Swept THD/IM ought to, no? Same with swept power/voltage vs. frequency.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:35 PM   #37154
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am more and more convinced that perfect signal transmission is the last thing audiophiles are seeking for.
Instead of that, loss of details is preferred. This loss of details is achieved by:
- higher background noise (tubes, vinyl records, tape hiss)
- non-linear distortion that rises noise floor for complex signals

Though higher background noise, and thus less real resolution, is generally preferred by audiophiles (tubes, groove noise, tape hiss), non-linear distortion must be thoroughly controlled to stay at pleasing side.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:41 PM   #37155
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Demian, let's get Scott to tell us what IC's from ADI are specifically made for audio reproduction. '-)
You say that as if audio reproduction wasn't in the easiest 5% of jobs in electronics.

Gerhard
Old 24th March 2013, 10:11 PM   #37156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I am more and more convinced that perfect signal transmission is the last thing audiophiles are seeking for.
Instead of that, loss of details is preferred.
It let more space for imagination :-)
I agree with your analysis.
Old 24th March 2013, 10:16 PM   #37157
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any electronic circuit adds something and changes the sound in its own way.
Why should it? That's called distortion, and these days it's "ridiculously easy" to have circuits that by normal standards, at least at the design stage, have inaudible distortion.

So where's that "change in sound" coming from ...?

Frank
Old 24th March 2013, 10:25 PM   #37158
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
So where's that "change in sound" coming from ...?
Depends on the high end designer and the particular "sound" they're trying to get; each has their own set of tricks to turn a box of gain into an effects box. It's trivially easy to make a clean amp- it takes some skill and imagination to make an effects box that hits the designer's target.

Mid-grade equipment is generally reliably transparent (assuming ears-only, of course), as is some high end gear when the designer truly does want a simple box of gain. IME, John's designs don't have an audible signature, for example.
Old 24th March 2013, 10:29 PM   #37159
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Why not to replace Blowtorch with high quality stepped attenuator and resistor network?
This is an interesting question because it raises an issue for me about blowtorch o/p impedance.

I have found that amps very often sound better when driven by a low impedance.

I wonder how blowtorch manages to sound so good in systems with such high o/p impedance.

Is there something I'm missing here ?

mike
Old 24th March 2013, 10:42 PM   #37160
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Mid-grade equipment is generally reliably transparent (assuming ears-only, of course), as is some high end gear when the designer truly does want a simple box of gain.
Okay, string a set of 10 of such devices in series, with suitable, "transparent", attenuation separating them as necessary. Would it still be "reliably transparent"? If not, why not, and would it be straightforward to pick up this reason by measurement?

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!