John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3699 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 05:55 PM   #36981
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

but cant the acceleration be accounted for by standard 3D space if you know the positioning ahead of time? I can understand having the extra axis for rotation, but although I can see the usefulness of visualizing and calculating the positioning as acceleration, I dont see why its needed as such? or is the acceleration only applied to the spline based acceleration on the rotational axis?

ahh hang on, efficiency of movement and accounting for avoiding being in the way of the object (also rotating in several axis perhaps) with the tool and making the most of the milling bits, time and energy. it could however be done; rather inefficiently with positional and rotational data alone (plus RPM if cutting)

Last edited by qusp; 20th March 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 06:25 PM   #36982
diyAudio Member

Jneutron,
I understand B staged prepreg and am thinking you are using this material for an electrical circuit board in your application. When you say you are welding wire is this circuit traces or something else. I guess in most machining operations as qusp said I think that the acceleration and feed speeds are normally a subroutine of the cutter path, so you are going far beyond that with what sounds like to simultaneously moving object rotating in space with a vector intercept function. It all sounds rather interesting to say the least. How does this relate to your work in what I thought was superconducting materials?
Old 20th March 2013, 06:43 PM   #36983
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I mentioned milling bits to relate it to a more generally recognizable CNC operation. sounds like the welder would need a couple of equivalent functions to take those spline paths anyway.

perhaps a VHF waveguide of some sort? aerial?
Old 20th March 2013, 06:57 PM   #36984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Jneutron,
I understand B staged prepreg and am thinking you are using this material for an electrical circuit board in your application. When you say you are welding wire is this circuit traces or something else. I guess in most machining operations as qusp said I think that the acceleration and feed speeds are normally a subroutine of the cutter path, so you are going far beyond that with what sounds like to simultaneously moving object rotating in space with a vector intercept function. It all sounds rather interesting to say the least. How does this relate to your work in what I thought was superconducting materials?
It is kinda like a circuit board..more like one of those rfid printed circuit coils you find in a credit card..just scaled differently, and uses super.

The really smart guys tell me where they want the wire. My job is to put it there.

The process is directional, so needs far more than 3 axis. My example of acceleration was just to show how you can need more than 3 dimensions to describe an active path in space. I take an array of numbers which describe a simple point by point path through 3d space, and I have to make all the axis lay the wire along that path while adjusting how I manhandle the wire to get it to bend correctly. Like driving a car..while the reeses pieces may be in the center of the lane, the person holding the steering wheel has to figure out how to turn it in order to run over the pieces.

jn
Old 20th March 2013, 07:11 PM   #36985
diyAudio Member

I follow that and imagine when you say wire it is on the micron level so to speak. I imagine there is a very specific bend radius something that small can do before it would micro crack. Way beyond something I am going to do with my wire feed welder.......
Old 20th March 2013, 07:24 PM   #36986
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I follow that and imagine when you say wire it is on the micron level so to speak. I imagine there is a very specific bend radius something that small can do before it would micro crack. Way beyond something I am going to do with my wire feed welder.......
I use two types of wire, one is .013" dia (.33mm, 200 amperes), and one is .045" (1mm, 1 to 2 kiloamperes) comprised of 7 strands of the first one.

The average placement accuracy with respect to the center of the tube is about 100 microinches. The tube varies from .5 meters to about 3 meters, and 2cm dia to about 20 cm.

jn
Old 20th March 2013, 07:29 PM   #36987
diyAudio Member

The tube is produced with the prepreg? So the wire is much larger than I was thinking, but your positional tolerance is very close.
Old 20th March 2013, 07:35 PM   #36988
diyAudio Member

And you guys criticize me of going to extremes? '-) Can't you think of 'cheap and effective' ways of getting the same results with your projects? OH, it's because you don't have to pay for it. '-)
Old 20th March 2013, 07:50 PM   #36989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The tube is produced with the prepreg? So the wire is much larger than I was thinking, but your positional tolerance is very close.
The tubes are wrapped with it. And, yes the positional tolerances are absurd. Nature of the beast.

The LHC has positional tolerances in the tens of microns..the entire ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
And you guys criticize me of going to extremes? '-) Can't you think of 'cheap and effective' ways of getting the same results with your projects? OH, it's because you don't have to pay for it. '-)
I don't. You are trying to solve some problems where you do not understand fully the issues. It happened when you were testing IC's with your ST machine without considering the ground loop problem.

Thick aluminum cases are one solution to loop and EMC issues, not necessarily the best and certainly not the cheapest or most elegant. But a solution nonetheless.

I believe you are criticized for embracing pseudoscientific explanations and then telling those who balk at the pseudoscience that they have no clue how to create "high end audio"..

As far as your expertise on the solid state end, I have no criticisms of you other than the simple fact that you have failed miserably in documenting your life's experience for all to learn from.

jn

Last edited by jneutron; 20th March 2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 07:53 PM   #36990
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default This is a public Apology and a warm Thank you to Richard.

There was a posting of mine yesterday which contained a phrase that would be interpreted by an intelligent reader in a manner rather insulting toward Richard.
My delayed comprehension of the problem, allowed some of you to read it, before the moderators had it removed under my request.
I asked for a private communication with Richard.
My English are lacking here, so what I have to say about his response will fail to describe the real Gentleman that he is.

Regards
George

Hide this!Advertise here!