John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3559 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2013, 06:58 PM   #35581
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Surely you are not saying
I charge my cousin 50 cents for every chance of plugging his voice.
(deaf fckng relic turned 65 last month)

KAZ LUX JAN AKKERMAN - Guardian Angel - YouTube
Old 20th February 2013, 07:10 PM   #35582
diyAudio Member

Since we are all showing some art here how do you add a jpeg to these posts?
Old 20th February 2013, 07:11 PM   #35583
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hit the "reply" button, scroll down, then hit the "manage attachments" button. It's pretty straightforward from there.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:12 PM   #35584
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd1 View Post
no surprise there, a lot of folks probably don't know that Herbie Hancock has an EE degree.

mlloyd1
And Edwin Moses was a physicist.

Watching him down the backstretch was indeed.... watching an artist at work. Until you needed binoculars.

jn
Old 20th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #35585
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Mike Judge's degree is in physics.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:18 PM   #35586
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I think John is saying that everyone in a Western university emerges as a highly competent objective scientist/engineer (whatever their discipline), but sadly they have lost their artistic side as a result.
I wonder how anybody or anything is able to destroy the artistic side of someone. It is like the air we need to breath.

I don't know for US, but, in France, University and high schools are just places for the system can chose the most formated and docile servants with the minimum of required knowledge and methods to be efficient, never asking questions.
People you can replace one by an other.
Here, you can have aceess to the knowledge, but it is your curiosity and own understanding whitch will help you to build your own muscles from it. And for methods, you'll have to discover your owns.

Today, in order to get your diploma, you need to be an actor, make believe you apply blind and do not think by yourself.
My son, which study laws in Paris university had made (asked for) a critical comment of a judgment of the court of Cassation. Documented, argued and elegant. The comment of the teacher, in margin, was: "Who do-you think you are" !!!!!
If i meet this guy, i'll shoot him a punch in his face.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:27 PM   #35587
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
(agenda note : ask my crime attorney how much she charges for a punch)
Old 20th February 2013, 07:31 PM   #35588
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
I think it takes a special teacher to allow their students to be creative and question the rote learning that we are expected to do. I once had an online business class where we as a group had to write a paper on a subject of our choice. I came up with and idea that everyone agreed to. We wrote a complete paper about the workers at Disney Land and how they had to follow certain rules while working in the public's eye. The entire paper was written tongue in cheek and we didn't have any idea what the teacher was going to say. Needless to say we all scored an "A" grade, the teacher was so impressed that we not only completed the assignment but made it fun, it was a paper that would just make you laugh but we met all the requirements. Some teacher are just so rigid in what they expect that creativity would just get you a failing grade. They don't want anything but conformity, that is the bane of so many students and one reason so many just drop out. Just learning facts does not make a great student or a great teacher!
Old 20th February 2013, 07:36 PM   #35589
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Christophe,
I think it takes a special teacher to allow their students to be creative and question the rote learning that we are expected to do. I once had an online business class where we as a group had to write a paper on a subject of our choice. I came up with and idea that everyone agreed to. We wrote a complete paper about the workers at Disney Land and how they had to follow certain rules while working in the public's eye. The entire paper was written tongue in cheek and we didn't have any idea what the teacher was going to say. Needless to say we all scored an "A" grade, the teacher was so impressed that we not only completed the assignment but made it fun, it was a paper that would just make you laugh but we met all the requirements. Some teacher are just so rigid in what they expect that creativity would just get you a failing grade. They don't want anything but conformity, that is the bane of so many students and one reason so many just drop out. Just learning facts does not make a great student or a great teacher!
Great teachers are as rare, if not rarer, than anyone else. And they are usually undercompensated, especially when compared to the mediocre ones. But again this is true of most every field of endeavour.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:53 PM   #35590
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I once read of a physics teacher who proudly declared that she insisted on her pupils always using the correct terminology: 'reflected'/'refracted' rather than 'bounced'/'bent'. That made me sad. Knowing the right words is always important, but knowing what they mean is far more important. Modern exams, with their rigid marking schemes, encourage this misguided approach.

Hide this!Advertise here!