John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3555 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2013, 02:33 PM   #35541
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Artists Taking The Pi**....And Money....

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Max, I'm with you on this. I don't hang out with 'artistic types' much, anymore. But I remember well seeing my first Picasso's at the Museum of Modern Art in NY, then a few months later, the Municipal Museum in Amsterdam, back in 1965. I was 'ready' for it at the time, and I was often 'blown away' by something that, to describe it, would seem like 'nonsense' to many here.
Hi John, I appreciate the classic paintings for the fine skills in producing 'photographic' quality portraits and artworks, complete with extraordinarily fine detail and 'living' presence and emotion.
However much 'modern' or 'modernist' art leaves me cold, more like wtf ??, and valued at how much ??.....and by whom ??.
A prime example imho would be a Jackson Pollock painting, Blue Poles, that I have viewed in person.....sure it is impressive by virtue of its size...2.12 m × 4.89 m and the range of colours, but to my technical brain it just a big meaningless POS, but now valued at between $20 and $100 MILLION dollars FFS....You Cannot Be Serious comes to mind !.
In my experience, at least some artists display a seriously inflated sense of self-importance, fuelled by pansey sycophants.

Click the image to open in full size.
$20+ million for this ???...pfffft.

Dan.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 20th February 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:37 PM   #35542
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Pollack is not easy to understand. Neither is Andrew Hill. Or Sun Ra. Or Charles Ives. That's OK, it's not meant to be.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:41 PM   #35543
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Pollack is not easy to understand. Neither is Andrew Hill. Or Sun Ra. Or Charles Ives. That's OK, it's not meant to be.
Sure, I understand English and Danish, but not Pollack.

Dan.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 20th February 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:42 PM   #35544
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
I hate, hate, hate creative people, I so much hate them, it can't be properly expressed without expletives. Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

So do i, including my mother pianist, my father, writer, 2 of my grand fathers, painters, most of my friends musicians, painters or movie directors and myself, with literature and photography.
Some others are scientists, physicist or technicians, sometimes artists in the same time, because there is nothing closer to science than art. Music and mathematics, painting and geometry, architecture and physics etc...
Both require the same level of understanding, intuition, rigor, curiosity, creativity, research of harmony, generosity and sharing attitude. Both spend their lifes working hard to *feel* and understand things better.

The only human activity which is not represented in my friend's family is marketing and money business. They are so helpful to humanity and so good for their neighbors that we are not worthy of them.

One of my friend use to say humanity can be speared in two categories: Barbarians and others. Barbarians take the world as it is, trying to make as much profit they can, the others, to build the world at their image. Designing an audio device is just building a tool able to bring-us music. Building a custom brush, sharpening a pencil.

Last edited by Esperado; 20th February 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:53 PM   #35545
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
just a big meaningless POS
Elvis' turd sold for over a million buckaroos.

The 'artist' might have viewed the end customer as a toilet bowl who swallows a piece of crap.
Only if the buyer fails to make a profit at the faeces exchange, he'll consider it a sheety investment.
Till then, the safe is filled with an underrated, and classic example of a contemporary organic art form.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:59 PM   #35546
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
The 'artist' might have viewed the end customer as a toilet bowl ...
Duchamp?
Old 20th February 2013, 03:05 PM   #35547
diyAudio Member

Pollock made fractals before mathematicians had coined the term, some interesting research has gone into that. Art leading science. The same can be said for the pointilists, who played vanguard to our pixelated world. Just two examples.

Christophe,
Old 20th February 2013, 03:09 PM   #35548
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Dan, I dont think you get out enough, there is some superb modern art being made. myself straight realism doesnt often do it for me, I can appreciate it on a technical level, but domestically I much prefer the works of people like Brett Whitely and such incredible technicians as the 90+ year old and still painting (in 2011), modern artist and living treasure Jeffrey Smart. Smart takes detail, scale, technique and turns it into this sort of sublime thing, epically mundane and quietly beautiful.

not bad for an old truck driver! some of these things are as huge as they appear

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th February 2013, 03:17 PM   #35549
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Marcel?
Unfortunately no.

Figured it smarter to go for a state of the Art Geberit, but the electronics periodically break down.
Might have been wiser to invest in a hanging piece of work, but till some peace and quiet has returned to the exchange floor, your guess what comes out is as good as mine.
Old 20th February 2013, 03:19 PM   #35550
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

SY, I wasnt sure what to do with the links re copyright, so linked to official hostings

Hide this!Advertise here!