John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
JCs post 70756

JC

Back in May 8, Bcarso (Brad Wood) posted a modification of one of your preamps. He added a current sink and a battery to float the circuit. He said that the noise was 10% less and I think THD was lower. A partial quote of your is"...maybe brilliant". Only EUVL really wanted to engage Brad and posted several Ltspice circuits that showed more complex versions of your preamps and they all seem to work quite well.

It's been almost 2 months. Do you have any other comments about Brads idea or is it just still brilliant?

Jay

Gentlemen, thank you for the comments on hot sauces. We've been over that once before. The trouble is that I can buy Tabasco just about anywhere, while practically all others mentioned then were completely unknown to me. Locally, beside Tabasco, there are one or two locally made sauces, but they are nothing to write home about. There are also Thai and Chinese made sauces, the usual, some are good, some are just so-so. Of the well known US brands, we have Uncle Ben's all over the place, and every now and then, some Kelogg's corn flakes, they are all right, but locally made ones are better and considerably cheaper, and Nestle is stiff competition to everybody.

In fact, my favorite hot are real life, fresh peppers and papirka. Fresh is fresh, beats any sause in my book. There are two regions in the country well known for the stuff, one in the north and the other in the south, so I do have my pick. I do not claim Tabasco is the best, it's simply the most conveniet one, and one which has a history with me since 1967, when I used it while in Britain. Even the small country grocery shops had it on display, my nearest store was in a village called Nether Stowey, less than 40 houses all told, including the Royal Mail and a branch of the Midland Bank.

In my limited experience, having stayed longer than a week anywhere in the US being NYC (1970), Philadelphia (1988) and Boston (1991(, I have never failed to get Tabasco anywhere I asked, including restaurants. They are everywhere.

Inductance will depend on the kind of fold, and it doesn't make a difference if you connect it to pins two and three of an XLR connector, or stick it between your nostrils. XLR connector only makes measurement easier.

Nice simple bend in half. Not trying to form a coil. R about 1/4".

Pin 2 goes to common through a 1 ohm resistor and pin 3 through 22K to common.

Inductance will depend on the kind of fold, and it doesn't make a difference if you connect it to pins two and three of an XLR connector, or stick it between your nostrils. XLR connector only makes measurement easier.

Ed, can we skip the 20 questions and go to the punch line?

Well Scott,

I showed this before and asked you to try it. Run 5 mV through a 3' cable terminated with 20K. Look across the cable with a differential input complex FFT and see how the losses vary with frequency across the audio band. The voltage will be down in the dirt as the cable resistance is about .003 ohms. So if you use lots of samples and only look at .95 F to 1.05 F it should be possible to pick out the loss signal and phase.

The loss goes up with frequency. The inductance of the wire is less than 50 nH. At 20 kHz the reactance of the cable should be .007 ohms. The loss is greater than that. You can repeat the experiment with the same length of a thinner wire such as a single strand from a cat5 cable. The low frequency loss on my rig is higher but the high frequency loss is lower.

So let's see if you get the same results.

proximity effect? - like skin effect gives a Linear impedance vs frequency - but with a s^1/2 dependency due to the continuous/distributed character

again it is a Linear effect - can be modeled by a matrix of ordinary R and L with appropriate linear mutual inductance terms between the inductors

quite well known to modern engineers modeling/sending Mbaud DSL over 50 year old voice band telephone twisted pair

long time studied from Heaviside onwards

I'll leave that up to you. I gather your results deviate from some theoretical result un-noticed by any physicists doing fundamental research for the last 4 decades.

No it is the physicists who noted and explained the issue. But I expected you to put your head in the sand. I just thought since the experiment is trivially easy to do you might want to try it.

Now what about audio design? Anybody have anything to contribute? '-)

I don't know John. As a Bybee 'quantum something or other' owner and one who isn't as versed as y'all in circuit theory and design, I kinda like the food talk. It's one area I excel in and am happy as can be when this thread actually has something for me other than moderating. I like to hear the opinions about peppers as the ideas are as diverse as the audio or wine industries.

When's the last time Blowtorch was mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.