John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3516 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 05:19 AM   #35151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
There is a good reason why Mr. Hiraga had build his monster amp (8W class A), powered by batteries.
Technically it was a hybrid. It used an AC power supply coupled with batteries to hold the voltage.

se
Old 16th February 2013, 05:23 AM   #35152
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
The OPA used (with bipolar current boost) have a high psrr.
can you say then that high psrr in amp is not so important to sound performance?

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 16th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #35153
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy
Technically it was a hybrid. It used an AC power supply coupled with batteries to hold the voltage.
something that would be easier to do today with super capacitors
Old 16th February 2013, 06:42 AM   #35154
diyAudio Member

Qusp,
Super capacitors?
Old 16th February 2013, 08:27 AM   #35155
diyAudio Member

yep

like these or these, or these!!!

supercaps or ultracaps are part way to a battery. finding uses in UPS and in cars, I believe they are using them in indy cars for a boost they can use a couple times a race, charged with breaking energy. no chemical reaction, just storage. its definitely a growth area and they will get cheaper. I believe there is a new technology that allows a graphene type material to be made in a solution and sprayed onto surfaces.

they'll get cheaper and I notice theyve boosted the voltage handling since last time I looked. most are still pretty low voltage though.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #35156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
can you say then that high psrr in amp is not so important to sound performance?
As habit, impossible to generalize. I believe that, if you do not hear the hum/hiss and if the amp does not produce IM distortion with the rail's noise (high bandwidth) , the answer could be no ? I presume that, if the rails are clean, you don't care ?
In all the other circumstances, of course, it is important. Ultimately, everything lies on the quality of the rails, specially in dynamic mode. An amp is as good as its power supply is.

About you saying that some people prefer AC power than Battery operation, are-you sure the problem is not some use of a virtual ground with battery, as often ?

Last edited by Esperado; 16th February 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:27 PM   #35157
diyAudio Member

Okay Qusp,
You are referring to the kinetic energy storage used in an F1 car to store power for an electric motor assist. How are those capacitors really different except for size and perhaps the charging rate and discharge rates? The last example would be real nice in a portable headphone amp, you could carry them in a backpack!

Last edited by Kindhornman; 16th February 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 02:56 PM   #35158
diyAudio Member

no real difference except for those, just much larger values than previously available in such small spaces and very high charge/discharge rates. thats just what they are actually called, super-capacitors, notice where I linked they are in the super-capacitors section at mouser.

correct thats what they will use in F1 (I nearly put that but wasnt sure) and even some of the much more mundane cars here have them, as well as some electric bikes will have them for low RPM, high torque needs like hill starts etc.

hehe for that money I could pay someone else to carry my backpack amp with plain batteries =)
Old 16th February 2013, 03:27 PM   #35159
diyAudio Member

As the development of electric cars, i suppose we can hope great improvements in electric storage with light, low volume and high current devices in the near future.
Those super capacitors are a nice bridge between caps and batteries.
If i had understood well, they use both chemical operation, like batteries, and static one, like caps. Is is not parallelized batteries +caps, it is one cell using the two principle at once. Following the way they are designed, manufacturers can vary the respective amout of the both energy storages.
Because they are expensive, at this time, i believe we can mimic them at lower price, paralleling traditional batteries+ caps at the price of a more complicated management of charging currents and operating voltages ?

(Yes, they are used in some Formula one 'KERS', in concurrence with mechanical devices, using flywells, i believe electric KERS already wons )

Last edited by Esperado; 16th February 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 03:43 PM   #35160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
something that would be easier to do today with super capacitors
Don't know that they'd do as good a job as a battery. Rather more energy stored in a battery. Plus the super caps are pretty low voltage so you'd have to string a number of them together in series and then if you wanted to maintain the same capacitance, a number of those in parallel.

I think instead of super caps, rather than eliminating the battery, just use a different battery technology than Hiraga used, i.e. lithium polymer versus lead acid.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!