John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2009, 03:53 PM   #341
diyAudio Member

Default The last preamplifier

Just a reflection on audio electronics, I can understand that it is almost unpossible to design and build a real good sounding preamplifier.

You can't use any component that are made from magnetic material.

No capacitors or transformers can be used in the signal path.

Only JFET from Toshiba is the optimum and they don't make any JFET semiconductors for state of the art audio.

So how can we make a real good amplifier, can we find other components that are useable for high tech audio, and if so where?

Maybe it is the dead end street for the DIY people, only the audio industry can make SOTA audio electronics.

John Curl's advanced circuits maybe can be turned to thick film "integrated circuits" made only for audio maybe some company can take this as a hint.

Kamskoma
Old 12th July 2009, 05:24 PM   #342
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The last preamplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by kamskoma
Just a reflection on audio electronics, I can understand that it is almost unpossible to design and build a real good sounding preamplifier.

You can't use any component that are made from magnetic material.

No capacitors or transformers can be used in the signal path.

Only JFET from Toshiba is the optimum and they don't make any JFET semiconductors for state of the art audio.

So how can we make a real good amplifier, can we find other components that are useable for high tech audio, and if so where?[snip]
Maybe you need to ask those people that make those real good sounding preamps out there?

jd
Old 12th July 2009, 05:26 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

Real designers can still make good products. This is not helpful.

1/2 blind, geo challenged, please no simple or unnecessary questions.
Old 12th July 2009, 07:10 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

Default BS

Somebody suggest me to ask the manufacturer out there!

"Maybe you need to ask those people that make those real good sounding preamps out there?"

Ok, so they may use not so good devices and makes the best of these "second best semiconductors" so to say.

A SOTA preamplifier consists of JFET transistors and some high grade resistors, maybe a servo as cream.

Even if this special thread is a SOTA expert forum, one can expect some indulgence from the so called SOTA experts, I don't think that this forum is a place for top secret audio electronics if it is why bother to answer.
Old 12th July 2009, 07:42 PM   #345
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I think the newer crop of great parts will be surface mount. They already supply matched NPN and PNP parts. These are fantastic for some things I do.

I guess it's time to start looking at these surface mount parts.

BTW, I'm not sold on this magnetic stuff. I have a hard time believing that a constant magnetic field is going to cause any grief, otherwise we are all in trouble.

Time to break out the pyramids and align them to the Earth's field (which wanders occasionally).

Hi John,
Back onto the topic of your designs then. Have you considered any new parts that will deliver the performance you need? I do expect that you could build a top flight preamp with current production parts.

-Chris
Old 12th July 2009, 08:19 PM   #346
diyAudio Member

Thank you Anatech, I was really a bit confused so I browsed the Farnell and RS-Components sites for some SMD JFET, I'll try out some of them, exactly which I don't know.

I have to get some references from old Toshiba data sheets,"doing my own dental floss" as Zappa once told.
Old 12th July 2009, 08:57 PM   #347
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi kamskoma,
Why not browse the actual manufacturer sites instead? Fairchild and others have some really nice stuff hiding in there. Disties only stock what they are told will sell, which has very little to do with what we might want. I think Zetex is another candy store for us.

-Chris
Old 14th July 2009, 11:50 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BS

Quote:
Somebody suggest me to ask the manufacturer out there!

"Maybe you need to ask those people that make those real good sounding preamps out there?"

Ok, so they may use not so good devices and makes the best of these "second best semiconductors" so to say.

A SOTA preamplifier consists of JFET transistors and some high grade resistors, maybe a servo as cream.

Even if this special thread is a SOTA expert forum, one can expect some indulgence from the so called SOTA experts, I don't think that this forum is a place for top secret audio electronics if it is why bother to answer.

Sorry, I was serious. You question whether it is still possible to build SOTA preamps. There are SOTA preamps on the market. So naturally, their manufacturers have the answers. As John said, good designers can still build SOTA preamps.

Edit: I mean by SOTA in this context, preamps with sound the very best of class, worldwide.

Jan Didden
Old 14th July 2009, 06:08 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: BS

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

There are SOTA preamps on the market. So naturally, their manufacturers have the answers.

Jan Didden

Mr Didden can you list the SOTA preamps on the market it would be very nice to see what they have done.

Kamskoma
Old 14th July 2009, 06:14 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: BS

Quote:

Mr Didden can you list the SOTA preamps on the market it would be very nice to see what they have done.

Kamskoma
I would start by looking at the preamp reference section of, say Stereophile. Or other sources that are trustworty to you. The usual supects: Ayre, ML, Jeff Rowland, Pass Labs, etc.
I don't want to take that pleasure away from you.

jd

Hide this!Advertise here!