John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3487 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 01:31 AM   #34861
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
wow, you have just made one argument with kindhornman and the exact opposite with me, was this unknowingly?
Ahh, it's just the Gemini in me coming out ... those rumours about me being Taurean is a load of codswallop ...

Frank
Old 12th February 2013, 01:36 AM   #34862
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, you know, one of the many small compromises spoken about in the text that you quoted. it was clearly and repeatedly demonstrated in the measurements that you have either conveniently ignored because it gets in the way of your argument about a component youve never heard, or not understood.?
I am curious now to get to the bottom of this .. has Sennheiser been contacted and asked to comment about this "problem", in their premium product, at any time? Any links to any discussion beyond just user impressions and conjecture?

Frank
Old 12th February 2013, 01:45 AM   #34863
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
About vibrations problems, we used to test our amps on a vibrating machine yet in 1970 for the 2 type of trouble: generated noise, induced modulation.
Trouble is, there can be, as a way of simplifying the concept, two types of problems: obviously audible effects, little glitchy noise, buzzes, etc; or, that the sound just "doesn't sound right". Both are distortion, both could be measurable, but they are at different levels of intensity. One is easy to point the finger at and say, there it is!; the other just gives you a headache over some time, makes the sound dull, fatiguing - far harder to say in that case there's a problem with the build quality, far easier to claim that it's just "bad recordings" ...

Frank
Old 12th February 2013, 01:54 AM   #34864
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'm sure they have, they have a booth at RMAF and CANJAM every year. they arent going to change the tooling to suit the people who usually dont have the product any more.

Quote:
Any links to any discussion beyond just user impressions and conjecture?
very predictable of you, yeah conjecture, i'm sure Tyll would be happy with you labelling the several page technical article he wrote about a headphone hes owned for years, sold for years and his ability to interpret measurements made on a high end analyzer... conjecture. hes probably measured more headphones than sennhieser

measurements of stock, measurements with the damping removed altogether and measurements of various other damping materials and their effects, both positive and negative of a resonance in a specific frequency band around 6.5khz.

you can only be trolling, so i'm reporting you. feel free to argue that you simply dont understand the words and pictures so well. So quickly the love affair fades with the words you wield....

directly above this post you seem to be arguing my point again.... are you taking it in turns with someone else?

Last edited by qusp; 12th February 2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:59 AM   #34865
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
try to think of good vibrations
And Paul Tanner, wonderful trombonist, sterling educator, and outstandingly nice person, just passed. He played Theremin on that Beach Boys tune.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:01 AM   #34866
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Ahh, it's just the Gemini in me coming out ... those rumours about me being Taurean is a load of codswallop ...

Frank
Some dear friends have been promising me a birthday party. It looks like as if, by the time it happens, I will be taken to be a Piscean. Or --- OMG Aries???
Old 12th February 2013, 02:07 AM   #34867
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
He played Theremin on that Beach Boys tune.
To be precise, the Tannerin. Named after - guess who? Similar sound and circuit, different technique. We've been trying to build one at work as the Theremin and all the hand waving had gotten tiresome.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:09 AM   #34868
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
And Paul Tanner, wonderful trombonist, sterling educator, and outstandingly nice person, just passed. He played Theremin on that Beach Boys tune.
glad you picked up on it it was a partial reminder to myself as well. thats sad news alright, I love a good Theremin, a friend of mine made himself a midi Theremin, one of the most bizarre instruments ever, taken to a whole new level of weird.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:10 AM   #34869
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
"Dr. Fluids" sounds more intriguing.
I thought it was "Dr. Lube"
Old 12th February 2013, 02:30 AM   #34870
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
To be precise, the Tannerin. Named after - guess who? Similar sound and circuit, different technique. We've been trying to build one at work as the Theremin and all the hand waving had gotten tiresome.
One learns something new every day (if one is fortunate).

The obit suggested the Theremin so I leapt to that conclusion. And some other BB apochrypha evidently makes the same assumption.

Hide this!Advertise here!