John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3480 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 06:16 AM   #34791
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I know this is falling on deaf ears but just see how long you could offer a Coke power amp before the lawyers show up. Unfortunately trademark law puts you in a difficult position. I had a trademark stolen from me simply because I could not afford to defend it, regardless of my legitimate claim. The "system" is rigged for the rich guys.
Ultimately it's rigged for the !@#$% lawyers.

Coke would have a case under "dilution," seeing as most everyone on the planet knows Coke, which makes it a "famous mark." Monster has used this same "dilution" theory in most all of their cases, though no court has ever ruled that "Monster" is a "famous mark" for Monster Cable. Nor would they ever likely receive such a ruling as there are a bazillion non-Monster Cable trademarks out there using the word "Monster."

se
Old 11th February 2013, 07:53 AM   #34792
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

The super-villans (lawyers) have found a way to own all the superheroes.
Superhero
Quote:
"SUPER HEROES" is a trademark co-owned by DC Comics and Marvel Comics.
So if I trademark "Satan" will he do my bidding... might have been beaten to that methinks.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:47 AM   #34793
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know this is falling on deaf ears but just see how long you could offer a Coke power amp before the lawyers show up. Unfortunately trademark law puts you in a difficult position. I had a trademark stolen from me simply because I could not afford to defend it, regardless of my legitimate claim. The "system" is rigged for the rich guys.
+10
Old 11th February 2013, 12:36 PM   #34794
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can also use this for more general stuff, they use it where |I am working at the moment, and also the fancier stuff shown earlier, its very educational for me:
Head and Torso Simulator (HATS) - Brel & Kjr

Last edited by marce; 11th February 2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:39 PM   #34795
diyAudio Member

Yeah if you used the Coke name for your headphiones you could market them as cans...
Old 11th February 2013, 01:35 PM   #34796
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You did the vaguely described "experiments", so you're the one who has to answer that.
The 'experiment' has been conducted on several normal hi-fi systems, and consists of fitting ferrites to power and/or signal and/or speaker cables.
In each case I get the same sonic change when fitted with detachable ferrite 'inteference stoppers'...nasty highs, shouty mids, boomy bass.
Stuart, please enlighten me why this should be so....this is your quote "Where would you get that curious (and totally incorrect) idea?".

Thanks, Dan.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:03 PM   #34797
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
The "system" is rigged for the rich guys.
Mr Martin,

where lies the crossover point, in terms of wealth, in your opinion ?
Old 11th February 2013, 02:06 PM   #34798
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
The 'experiment' has been conducted on several normal hi-fi systems, and consists of fitting ferrites to power and/or signal and/or speaker cables.
In each case I get the same sonic change when fitted with detachable ferrite 'inteference stoppers'...nasty highs, shouty mids, boomy bass.
Stuart, please enlighten me why this should be so....
Typically, when I run into a problem, I break out my multimeter, my scope, a spectrum analyzer, and a signal generator and start getting data. Without data, you're shooting in the dark, and I can't really do any better from 12,000 miles away.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:36 PM   #34799
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Until you can auto EQ them to flat as I described. Try this approach to an age old problem... trying to get a flat response. It works ! And now its easy and cheap to do, as well.

-RNM
But this would give a correct EQ for circumaural phones only, no ?
Old 11th February 2013, 03:09 PM   #34800
diyAudio Member

I would love to see some real data regarding ferrites and audio, also ferrites are designed for different frequency ranges (generaly used to solve problems with quite narrow range of frequencies, and all in the MHz), and often used to stop equipement transmitting signals into the ether via them nasty cables.
Though if I remember rightly standard ferrites were canned by the audio press, but Audioquests RF stoppers were deemed OK (these cost about a zillion times the cost of standard ferrites).
If people near you are using power line communications then ferrites can help limit this mains borne EMC from entering your system.
As said I would like to see some empirical data on ferrites and audio, and for different types ad frequency range of ferrites, because I wonder whether this is another overrated problem like "skin effect" at audio frequencies...

Hide this!Advertise here!