John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3477 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 11:50 PM   #34761
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well, you've got me going now ... had a look over at HeadRoom: Headphones: Full-Size, In-Ear, Wireless, Noise Cancelling, Headsets at what they show, AKG 272HD vs. HD800 - same methodology in testing always gives one a head start (is there a pun there?) ! Everything there points to the Sennheiser being superior: flatness of FR, distortion, square wave handling, impedance load is an absolute doddle ... so what's going on?

The clue is the FR: the AKG's fall off a cliff at about 2kHz ... all the nasty high frequency stuff is nicely pushed into the background - apart from the massive 15dB spike at 10kHz, I wonder how a speaker with that sort of performance would go down ...

Frank
Old 10th February 2013, 11:51 PM   #34762
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a a Maxim 2222 or some such. Soic 8. There may have been a discrete version in the very first ones. I don't think those made it into production.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:37 AM   #34763
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Hey, look what I've found! Pure gold! Next step, golden transformer substations. :-)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th February 2013, 01:18 AM   #34764
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Auto-EQ the headphone -

One can take a low distortion headphone and using a probe microphone (which you can easily make that is flat) and an auto-EQ product, like used in recievers and stand-alone products by Audyssey and get this freq response:

Its a Monster/Beats product but any headphone will be flattened, automatically. The era of flat headphone FR is upon us! We can all have a flat FR... pick the headphone with lowest thd/IM and then flatten it for incredible sound!!! The flatter headphone you start out with the easier and lowest distortion results you will get.

And, it is fast to do so anyone's ear shape and size will be auto-EQ'ed for them.
Its all Done. Next problem, please.

Thx- RNMarsh
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dr Dre Headphone EQ with Audyssey -2A.pdf (202.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by RNMarsh; 11th February 2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Why not auto EQ ?
Old 11th February 2013, 01:25 AM   #34765
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
One can take a low distortion headphone and using a probe microphone and an auto-EQ product, like used in recievers and stand-alone products by Audyssey and get this freq response.
Its a Monster/Beats product but any headphone will be flattened. The era of flat headphone FR is upon us! We can all have a flat FR... pick the ones with lowest thd/IM and then flatten it for incredible sound!!! And, it is fast so anyone's ear shape and size will be EQ'e for them. Its all Done.

Thx- RNMarsh
Thanks for that ... I was going to mention doing a little experiment: apply DSP to the recording being played through one headphone, say the HD800, to give it the same effective response as the AKG, to make everything fair, and then compare; also, do this in reverse, "hot" up the recording so the AKG replay matches the Sennheiser in response. I wonder what the reactions of listeners would be then ...

Frank
Old 11th February 2013, 01:50 AM   #34766
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Auto EQ is cheap now and a stand-alone product could be easily made with dsp chip just for headphones. You dont need to do room averaging or anything like that. I found the volume in the ear/headphone cavity to be small enough to have constant pressure everywhere. So just slipping the probe under/between the headphone cushion and your head anywhere gives same results. Even a lame consumer could do it with a push of a button and a second later they being listening to the best sound he/she will ever have.

What are we waiting for? All the parts to do this exists and its easy now that I told you how and showed you the kind of results you can expect. This should (FR) become almost a non-issue with heaphones.

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 11th February 2013, 01:53 AM   #34767
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I don't know the whole story, but the people I am supposed to have lunch with today, do headphones for just about everybody.
Oh, yes, and then all these rides to lunch in JB's Bentley...

We have a proverb here, that hits the nail verbatim:

Wes' Brot ich ess, des' Lied ich sing.

I'm unable to translate it without changing the meaning,
essentially it is that eating someone's bread makes one
his mercenary.

Bragging around that will not help one's credibility.

I'll leave it at this.

Gerhard

ok. I try it: I sing the battle song of those who's bread I eat.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:07 AM   #34768
diyAudio Member

Richard,
The automatic equalization of these headphones for frequency response will be a great thing as long as the price is low enough. What this doesn't do anything about is the actual sound of the membrane used in the headphone and the decay rate of the diaphragm. Just correcting the frequency response alone will not a great headphone make. The difference between a Mylar diaphragm and perhaps a metallic diaphragm or anything else would have to be looked at. I would be just as interested in the waterfall plots of decay time for these headphones as I would the simple frequency response curves. Anyone else have anything to say about the sound of any of these headphones after eq correction?
Old 11th February 2013, 02:13 AM   #34769
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Please do not post embedded pictures (gizmodo, etc.) from other websites, link to them instead. Post deleted.
Old 11th February 2013, 02:16 AM   #34770
diyAudio Member

Ok, just heard back from my friend whose first job when he was contracted was to "...fix the Beats by Dre headphone design so they actually worked and were shippable."

He confirms that Iovine and Dre "never had a thing to do with the engineering of the headphones."

Lots of other juicy stuff, but that's all I have permission to divulge right now.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!