John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3473 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 06:14 PM   #34721
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Yeah, after all the grief he'd brought upon others with his trademark lawsuit thuggery, reading that piece was schadenfreudelicious!

se
Indeed. In fact I thought that lawsuit activity was one of their major revenue sources. I adored reading about their purchase of the renaming of the stadium to Monster, and most people presuming it was the Monster of the job search company.
Old 10th February 2013, 06:22 PM   #34722
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I adored reading about their purchase of the renaming of the stadium to Monster, and most people presuming it was the Monster of the job search company.
HA! Yeah, and even to this day, monster.com has a little link at the bottom of their page that says "Looking for Monster Cables?"

se
Old 10th February 2013, 06:30 PM   #34723
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Oh I certainly agree. IMO they are no better or worse than a lot of other brands, but their marketing skills are second to none. The Beats stuff may end up surpassing them, tho. At least for awhile.

Future historians will mark the beginning of the decline of Western Civilization by the day that our universities began offering degrees in "Marketing".
Before marketing the king would send in the sheriff , today the vig is paid voluntary ....

Old 10th February 2013, 06:44 PM   #34724
diyAudio Member

By the way, a friend of mine was an engineer at Monster and I believe he was directly involved with the Beats project. I've sent him the article and hope to get some feedback from him.

se
Old 10th February 2013, 06:59 PM   #34725
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Steve, looking forward to his comments, if any.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:24 PM   #34726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Now is there anything wrong with what I just said? Am I supposed to hide my connections, behind some veil of intellectual modesty?
No, as long as those famous names are not used to replace technical demonstrations. As a sound engineer, i knew a lot of famous singers, this don't added me any talent as a singer. And i knew a lot of other sound engeneers, some both famous and not even competent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I don't like 'fashion' either. Dr. Dree's headphones are a good example.
I don't see those things as fashion audio. Just marketing using some star's name to sell gadgets, like basket shoes.
I had no idea of what it was, those Monster Beats by Dr. Dre "used in the most famous studios" haha)
Those are fashion audio, on my opinion:
HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Amps
HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Speakers
Old 10th February 2013, 07:24 PM   #34727
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I hope we are all not cutting our own throats here and characterizing ourselves as malcontents, as I suspect most of us are not well-fixed for immediate retirement. On the other hand, I recall when Brad Plunkett mentioned a client he'd had for something he thought so odious and lacking in all redeeming social merit, let alone any conceivable efficacy at what it purported to do, that he said he'd tell his kids he was a white slaver before describing the device.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:53 PM   #34728
diyAudio Member

Even my kids who are no audiophiles have judged that the Dr. Dre headphones do not offer anything beyond what they can get from an inexpensive Sony headphone for much less money. They are totally aware that it is a fashion statement, nothing different than having to have an Apple branded product just to show off the nice industrial designs that make them what they are in the market. No I am not saying that Apple does not make some good products, just that half the price is for the cache of the product, not necessarily a superior product. If I had to choose I would probably go for a Bose branded headphone, at least in that realm they have done some real engineering. But I will stick with the names we all know in headphones, AKG or many other names we all know from quality sound purveyors. For that matter has any ever done a frequency response test on the Dr. Dre headphones, I can't keep them on my head for more than a few seconds at best, a slight improvement over the worst cheap headphones you could buy to my ears.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:07 PM   #34729
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Beats-Pro
Old 10th February 2013, 08:11 PM   #34730
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size. my preferred MB-Quart 95
sweeps with different headphones

Hide this!Advertise here!