John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3472 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 04:29 PM   #34711
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Pano, please be fair. Bose has good marketing, but it also produces speakers with keen knowledge of psyco-acoustics.
Oh I certainly agree. IMO they are no better or worse than a lot of other brands, but their marketing skills are second to none. The Beats stuff may end up surpassing them, tho. At least for awhile.

Future historians will mark the beginning of the decline of Western Civilization by the day that our universities began offering degrees in "Marketing".
Old 10th February 2013, 04:31 PM   #34712
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl
YET, that sort of waveform is necessary to bring out the DA in caps.
This is astonishing. Are you really saying that in order to expose a very low frequency phenomenon (DA in caps) it is necessary to use a test signal which includes very low frequency components? Who would have thought it?
Old 10th February 2013, 04:36 PM   #34713
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Right now it is a mixed bag.... if you look at the headphone product on the shelves, some have only Beats as owner, some have three names as Designed by and others have only Monster for owner. Seems that the breakup wasnt clean and there are some from each and some from both.
The major headphone companies which have been around for decades were asleep at their marketing wheel. Until a new comer entered their domain and did the marketing to a nitch they had been ignoring.

Now its a marketing fight over that nitch. The consumer will have to sort thru it but will benifit from the competition.

-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 10th February 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Beats and Monster
Old 10th February 2013, 04:36 PM   #34714
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I don't know the whole story, but the people I am supposed to have lunch with today, do headphones for just about everybody. They said that they got those headphones started, and even developed to some degree, then Noel took it over, including the ownership of the design, and so it goes.
Beat By Dre: The Exclusive Inside Story of How Monster Lost the World

se
Old 10th February 2013, 04:41 PM   #34715
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is another view (not entirely objective) of the beats/Monster story: Beat By Dre: The Exclusive Inside Story of How Monster Lost the World

Having been close to the front line throughout the process its mostly accurate. However two scorpions in a bottle may be a better model for what happened.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:45 PM   #34716
diyAudio Member

The test signal was adapted to MAXIMIZE the lowest signal frequency (fundamental) that would normally be passed through a hi fi system.
Of course, at higher frequencies the DA effect is reduced, but it still remains. I like reasonable worst case, rather than 'babying' the component under test.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:54 PM   #34717
diyAudio Member

Wow! Demian I am going to take this over to Mike's (Menlo) today and discuss it with him. Thanks for the input. Where have you been? Did you get my e-mail that I put here on this thread, days ago?
Old 10th February 2013, 04:54 PM   #34718
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's a beautiful story, thanks for posting Steve. Karma is a *****. The Monster gets "Beat." Love it.
Old 10th February 2013, 05:05 PM   #34719
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
That's a beautiful story, thanks for posting Steve. Karma is a *****. The Monster gets "Beat." Love it.
Yeah, after all the grief he'd brought upon others with his trademark lawsuit thuggery, reading that piece was schadenfreudelicious!

se
Old 10th February 2013, 05:10 PM   #34720
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Here is another view (not entirely objective) of the beats/Monster story: Beat By Dre: The Exclusive Inside Story of How Monster Lost the World

Having been close to the front line throughout the process its mostly accurate. However two scorpions in a bottle may be a better model for what happened.
That's a great story! Thanks Demian and Steve!

I shall forward the link to a couple of people who may not have seen it, with the appropriate caveats about the details.

What is particularly impressive is the "Beats" processing, which supposedly has been incorporated into car audio systems. This should have Harman worried a lot, but they are probably too busy, in other ways, performing target practice on their feet

I do still recommend the RS article about Iovine, which has much more to do with his career than with Beats, but nonetheless has some astonishing bits related to the headphones, his acknowledged hearing loss, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!