John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3453 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 08:15 PM   #34521
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Name the frequencies and where you want the "devices" connected. It's easy to do. .
PS, right after the transformer ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I listened to an elaborate two-channel system that the resident Canoga Park audiophile (i.e., not me) said had BQPs in various strategic locations. He believed that they helped. He apparently talks to Bybee extensively.

I found the system sound adequate, very good but nothing overwhelming or extraordinary (big Sound Lab panels, a next-to-largest Bryston amp, the "completion" box that Atkinson recently reviewed and concluded was essentially a Blumlein shuffler, various source components). What amused me was the guy is still a total nervous nellie about excessive bass energy somehow getting to his panels and causing arc-over. So with any uncertified material (I brought a couple of CDs) he turns the level way down. Overall, he tends to listen at rather low levels I thought.

I should add that, had the system sounded extraordinary I'd have been suspicious, as quite frankly I've heard a lot of decent audio in good rooms, and IMO something that stands out generally does so because of anomalies, not competent design.

But I'm probably deaf too, as as much as I've wanted to hear the effects of some controversial accessories, and known when they were inserted or absent, I can't bring myself to hear an effect. Yet I can spot problems and diagnose them when they exist, and usually pretty accurately.
It worked, he's using Bryston amps .....
Old 8th February 2013, 08:16 PM   #34522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Et,tu, Jan? Oh well.
By the way, thanks for issue 3, and I did look through it. My original opinion stands, nothing new that I can learn or use in a serious way. Sorry.
You probably meant 'tu quoque, jan'. And yes. I get really p**sed off if people try to fool me with dishonest tricks and plain fraud. Funny you appear to accept that with no 2nd thoughts?

jan
Old 8th February 2013, 08:41 PM   #34523
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
So it really is just a resistor with floobydust around it!
Any interest to know what is actually made off a component that does nothing?
Old 8th February 2013, 08:46 PM   #34524
diyAudio Member

I give up on you, PMA. Too bad.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:48 PM   #34525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
PS, right after the transformer .... It worked, he's using Bryston amps .....
Sorry, i had confused-you with Wayne, a prominent audio designer member of this forum. Hence my previous reference to measurements of digitally resistances array we previously talked together.
And my surprise to read some contents in your posts, under what i believed its signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I give up on you, PMA. Too bad.
Please (this wrote with a friendly intention) better give-it up yourself, on this subject. You could conclude by a "and still it moves" followed by a confused smiley and NEVER, NEVER talk of this any more.
It would be a good idea to to remove those things from your system too, in case the scientific police arrives your home. And deny to be the real author of all your posts about BQP.
And ask men in black to visit us and erase our memories about your 'quantum' posts.

Last edited by Esperado; 8th February 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:18 PM   #34526
diyAudio Member

John.
If I told you I had something that went on your car and it was a little black box that went on fuel line and you would get an instant 100% increase in gas mileage you would question that I would hope. We are only doing the same thing here. You are not the one selling or making the bybee device so can't hold you responsible for it. But we are more than skeptical of any of these outrageous claims for something as simple as a black magic resistor.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:22 PM   #34527
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA
It may add HF interference, and thus sound different. I would believe in such explanation more than anything else . Same is for some "special" cables. No microdiodes, just interference added.
Yes, I suspect the same. It would explain why bad cables are so popular, and possibly the 'groundside electron' nonsense. Inject a little RF noise, and add 'air' around the musical instruments.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:27 PM   #34528
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Regarding 1/f "improvement". 1/f noise i easily measurable. Anyone measured 1/f noise reduction with Bybees inserted??? Or does it need a "special equipment" to get the spirit of the part?
Old 8th February 2013, 09:29 PM   #34529
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
add 'air' around the musical instruments.
Exactly!!

Tested.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:37 PM   #34530
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Regarding 1/f "improvement". 1/f noise i easily measurable. Anyone measured 1/f noise reduction with Bybees inserted???
No, I showed explicitly that this doesn't happen. No one has presented any contradictory data (not surprising).

Hide this!Advertise here!