John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it Acoustic that also had the Matching Colosseum Head?

The Coliseum head was made by Sunn, not Acoustic.

6-Coliseum.jpg

Binely--there's a difference between designing a system to use software control (i.e. highly integrative) and doing a sloppy job on the hardware side and hoping the software geeks can hide your incompetence.

At least that was my takeaway from the software vs. hardware rant. Obviously some folks are philosophically aligned to think that most/all software is bad (plenty of examples here!) and others that are asking what's the best compromise all-in-all.

Once again here is an amp and cabinet, considered horrid by audiophiles, used on countless classic albums. I say if your chest isn't thumping 14 to 25 feet away on a Hendrix, Who or Led Zeppelin recording, then your ultimate system has missed the mark.

Yes, that is what it was.

Mr. dB...Okay, the folded horn. Heck I got to get Pitmann's book out
or other reference and look or some of this is in notes or books.
or call the bass guy and ask him. Or just look on fleabay.

Canyon
I was thinking of the 370 that is.
The 310 is with the amp in the middle?

Also, which of these had an 18" in it then?
Maybe a single with a passive radiator
somewhere, or was that also a W horn?

Some interesting stuff and differences between a listening
experience and a making music experience.

AND

They are all valid, at differing points on a continuum.

George - efcharisto : )

Cheers,

Sync

Canyncruz,
There is a big difference between what we use to make the music such as those Sunn enclosures and what we use to play that music back once recorded. Nobody in their right mind would listen to playback through a guitar stack, who does that!

At the same time what musician would listen to an audiophiles rants about what guitar cabinet and amp you should use, nobody I know would listen to somebody telling them about the sound of their instrument.

Here is the spectrum of an unequalized LP (a fairly "hot" Italian film score with a mix of synthesized and acoustic instruments) at a fairly middling point of dynamic range. The hottest points struggle to get 35db between 20Hz and 20kHz. Hard to argue the lows are getting a lot fewer bits than the highs. BTW the recording is DC coupled, the digital RIAA had about 10000 lsb's offset, and the sound is not "obviously this can't work". Music has a spectrum that falls as some low power of frequency that mitigates the raw 40dB of the RIAA curve. 1/f would simply halve it to 20dB and it starts to be a don't care.

Attachments

• riaa1.jpg
    riaa1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
The solar sail craft has become unresponsive due to an overflow condition they knew about---but couldn't upload a fix in time, I was just reading. They are hoping for a cosmic ray to accomplish a reset!

Software problem "pauses" LightSail mission
What gets me is the dumbness, and obviousness of the problem - huge amounts of money and effort thrown into an engineering effort, with a gaping hole somewhere for the proverbial truck ...

derfnofred. Yes there is a fine line with recording just enough analog to be able to retrieve it if the mastering goes wrong in the digital domain

What? You don't mean you could lose your whole master...
Surely, no one has overwritten their finished product with
their first one? Or not even had a proper back up.

That's never happened to me...not even the night before
giving a seminar to my professional peers. I mean surely
we can use something like Norton or other software to
restore the incremental change on the hard drive right?
or the USB drive.

As Bill Cosby once said, "oops"

Here is the spectrum of an unequalized LP (a fairly "hot" Italian film score with a mix of synthesized and acoustic instruments) at a fairly middling point of dynamic range. The hottest points struggle to get 35db between 20Hz and 20kHz. Hard to argue the lows are getting a lot fewer bits than the highs. BTW the recording is DC coupled, the digital RIAA had about 10000 lsb's offset, and the sound is not "obviously this can't work". Music has a spectrum that falls as some low power of frequency that mitigates the raw 40dB of the RIAA curve. 1/f would simply halve it to 20dB and it starts to be a don't care.
Scott,

I was going to say that looks EYE-Talian and she has pretty hot looks
about her too. She's just a tad older now and yes her spectrum
falls a bit, but those RIAA curves...We'd all love some DC coupling,
1/f...you might get slapped but really who'd care...sadly, for all of us
too, "obviously this can't work."

Me thinks Jessica Rabbit just walked in.

Jay McKnight and others have done analysis of old calibration tapes to look at the question of age and tape. If the tape has no physical damage, there is no loss over time. Now there are indeed lots of things that can happen, but JUST age is not one of them.

I also have some old cal tapes, basically unused, and they are spot on still after I bake them. Repeated baking causes no loss in the magnetic information/structure either.

Alan

well its a cubesat so not huge amounts. Compared to say the loss of the Ariane V first launch, or the NASA probe that had : and ; mixed up in the rocket control program.
The real gotcha of any software development is dealing with complexity - not of the problem domain, but of the development domain. The more various bits have to be tied together, the more different organisations or people climb on board, the more likely there will be a right, royal mess at the end of it - a single individual, totally focused and committed, can make it happen, while the mega team churns through oodles of money and in the end has it all thrown in the bin ...

Status
Not open for further replies.