John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3450 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 05:26 PM   #34491
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Jack says that they remove 1/f quantum noise that is very difficult to remove by normal filtering (for some reason)
And he's lying. There's no other word for it.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:29 PM   #34492
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Analyser Analysis...

Quote:
Max, your 'reservations' about clock stability gets me to think that it might be a lot easier to wait for the SR-1 analyzer that we are attempting to obtain. I am fairly sure that this analyzer can measure 'something' with the Bybee devices that I can't do today.
I have not yet read the operators manual of the SR-1, but I do have some limited experience of the Prism dScope Series III analogue and digital audio analyzers.
Interestingly and usefully this test set can discriminate and display seperately Noise and THD.
Also useful is a multi tone IMD test with selected non harmonically related frequencies.
Worth studying the manual.

Regards, Dan.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:31 PM   #34493
diyAudio Member

Sy, if you still have the magic stuff, Bybee pretend its device remove IM. Can-you measure any IM from the out of an amp, with and without the magic device ?
Old 8th February 2013, 05:35 PM   #34494
diyAudio Member

Sy,
Since you have one of these devices have you attempted to disassemble this trick piece of electronics to see what is inside? Wouldn't that settle what magic elements are inside the wrapper, whether is is nothing but a straight piece of wire or even a resistor? If it is epoxy encapsulated that would be fairly easy to dissolve off of the internal structure and see what magic fairy dust is inside!
Old 8th February 2013, 05:42 PM   #34495
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Sy, if you still have the magic stuff, Bybee pretend its device remove IM. Can-you measure any IM from the out of an amp, with and without the magic device ?
Name the frequencies and where you want the "devices" connected. It's easy to do. I looked at noise floor with test tones, with (of course) no differences. Understand, of course, that even with an IM measurement, some magic force will be invoked that test instruments can't see, or the measurements will be fatally flawed since the "device" was put in the wrong place to make it work (the application instructions are vague about where they should be used and John won't suggest anything helpful), but at least it'll be useful for the rational folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Sy,
Since you have one of these devices have you attempted to disassemble this trick piece of electronics to see what is inside?
They're not mine so I won't disassemble them (they were bought by Cal Weldon). Others have and found some stuff wrapped up around the resistor. Apparently, the wrappings are just a sideshow since there is no electrical effect. My own feeling is that it doesn't really matter what floobydust is packed in there, they either do something or they don't. And since they don't, the floobydust is not terribly interesting.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:43 PM   #34496
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Qualified By Experience...

Quote:
Max, the evidence of how at least one Bybee device works is right in front of everyone. They just can't see it, and SY did not know what was inside the package when he looked at it. He wouldn't believe me anyway, if I told him. '-)
My job in life is to make the best audio equipment possible, even if many here think it a waste of time and money. In the past, I would try just about 'anything' after learning from experience, that something denied or neglected today, just might be found of use to make better audio quality equipment. This has been so for me with connecting wire, connectors, circuit board material, caps, resistors, etc. etc.
I use what WORKS the best, not the most expensive or the most pretty package.
....Are they crazy? I don't think so, they just trust their ears. It actually works well when one can keep an open mind about this stuff.
Yup, I have learned by experience for a long time too.
Servicing and listening to a million bits of gear made by a million different manufacturers allows one to see (hear) some very interesting correlations.
All is not at it seems on first inspection

Dan.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:48 PM   #34497
diyAudio Member

Default The Proof is In the Listening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Name the frequencies and where you want the "devices" connected. It's easy to do. I looked at noise floor with test tones, with (of course) no differences. Understand, of course, that even with an IM measurement, some magic force will be invoked that test instruments can't see, or the measurements will be fatally flawed since the "device" was put in the wrong place to make it work (the application instructions are vague about where they should be used and John won't suggest anything helpful), but at least it'll be useful for the rational folk.

They're not mine so I won't disassemble them (they were bought by Cal Weldon). Others have and found some stuff wrapped up around the resistor. Apparently, the wrappings are just a sideshow since there is no electrical effect. My own feeling is that it doesn't really matter what floobydust is packed in there, they either do something or they don't. And since they don't, the floobydust is not terribly interesting.
So after (or indeed before) you did your measurements testing, did you try subjective evaluation on at least more than one audio system ???.

Dan.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:48 PM   #34498
diyAudio Member

Hey Sy, we get it, we get it, we get it!

You've put the data out there.
We can connect the dots ...

No need to ... tinge the ... flavour of your posts with such ... unflavourables!
It reflects unfavorably on the ... cook.

PS You write better when you have to ... stretch for polite words
Old 8th February 2013, 05:51 PM   #34499
diyAudio Member

John,
We all by now should understand the placebo effect in medicine and also here in audio. If you want to believe that you hear something you will hear it even if it is not there. There are proofs that placebo's do work in medicine, the mind is a very strange thing and we can even believe ourselves well. That is a very powerful argument for the fact that some will hear something even if it is not there even if you could show that it truly isn't.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:57 PM   #34500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
So after (or indeed before) you did your measurements testing, did you try subjective evaluation on at least more than one audio system ???.

Dan.
Actually, the proof is in the testing.

Scope photo's have been provided as proof of an effect.

Why is there no information made available regarding the test setup such that others can duplicate the test???

Results which cannot be duplicated by others is indeed floobydust.

When the origionator refuses to divulge the setup or test conditions so that the results can be checked, there is another name for that. Scientific misconduct comes to mind as one possibility.

jn

Hide this!Advertise here!