John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3445 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 09:20 AM   #34441
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
If it's only a resistor , ( non-inductive) how is it affecting the sound positively being connected to the transformer outputs .?
The same way that putting magnets in your shoes ameliorates the symptoms of arthritis.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:23 AM   #34442
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
How about this?
What about this? What is the relevance? I can find links to all sorts of papers that have nothing to do with fraud in fashion audio.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:41 AM   #34443
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
... type 2 superconductivity. ...
Well, this is certainly not something you can try at home...
Old 8th February 2013, 11:18 AM   #34444
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY
It doesn't.
I thought you would say that. So the BQP doesn't actually do anything which a low value resistor would not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl
How about this?
More quantum smoke blown in our eyes, unless you can show us the relevance of that paper to the BQP.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:26 AM   #34445
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As I have said before, why does not this wonderful component only apear for sale on esoteric aduio sites, why has it not been used in other circuitry...why cant I buy them at RS, and why have they not been used on projects I have worked on where the noise suppression capabilities would be a great benefit...
Old 8th February 2013, 12:40 PM   #34446
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Joke apart, it is easy to measure IM with and without this magic hyper subliminal device and publish the numbers.
I need a pair been sent to my address (with customs value below 22.00 EUR) and I will measure them. But, IMO SY had already done the job.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:47 PM   #34447
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
As I have said before, why does not this wonderful component only apear for sale on esoteric aduio sites, why has it not been used in other circuitry...why cant I buy them at RS, and why have they not been used on projects I have worked on where the noise suppression capabilities would be a great benefit...
I am afraid that conventional measurements and conventional users cannot get the spirit of the part ...
Old 8th February 2013, 12:59 PM   #34448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Hello John, in this post The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions) the following image is provided.
Click the image to open in full size.
Could you please explain the test conditions and equipment.
The note on the image states that IMD is 'gone'.
Is this reduction in distortions what you and others subjectively perceive in high quality audio equipment, and what is the effect of the Bybee device in lesser quality 'mid-fi' systems.
Do you (or others) have any multitone IMD measurement results that you are able to provide please.
Passive IMD reduction in typical audio gear if true, would appear to be highly significant !.

Thanks, Dan.
edit: I note that there is a span of 17 seconds between measurements. Unless a superconducting nanosecond hypersonic soldering iron was used (can't provide details, the technology is classified but available from digikey), the test was clearly performed using either a switch hardwired in, or the wires were just wrapped by hand. So how can one be sure the results are not simply a consequence of bad layout habits forced by the quick change?

A few questions.
1. Why is the power sine clipped on the bottom?
2. Where was the device placed?
3. What kind of resistor was it? Is it a wirewound?
4. While the measurement is neutral to ground, which conductor has the hf signal? IOW, is it the safety ground or neutral which is picking up the signal.
5. Where was the voltage picked up? At the IEC, or at the wall outlet?
6. If neutral current were being measured, would this be visible?
7. If hot and neutral were both run through a toroid a few turns, would a pickup winding see this...IOW, is the setup producing a ground current.

The measurements provided are too simplistic to be of use in discerning what has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
Well, this is certainly not something you can try at home...
Why not? LN2 is available at welding supply houses, so any MgB2 or bsco conductor would suffice.

jn

Last edited by jneutron; 8th February 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 01:02 PM   #34449
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
A few questions.
1. Why is the power sine clipped on the bottom?
2. Where was the device placed?
3. What kind of resistor was it? Is it a wirewound?
4. While the measurement is neutral to ground, which conductor has the hf signal? IOW, is it the safety ground or neutral which is picking up the signal.
5. Where was the voltage picked up? At the IEC, or at the wall outlet?
6. If neutral current were being measured, would this be visible?
7. If hot and neutral were both run through a toroid a few turns, would a pickup winding see this...IOW, is the setup producing a ground current.
All of these questions have been asked before and John has declined to answer them.

Don't fall into the same trap I did- this isn't technology, it's performance art.
Old 8th February 2013, 01:03 PM   #34450
diyAudio Member

PMA, the graphs that I put up on the Bybee device, were done at AMES RESEARCH CENTER, here in Silicon Valley, CA about 20 years ago. They were done with a special line noise measurement instrument that was initially specified by Jack Bybee in his early commentaries about the purifier, so that people could verify the results, themselves, IF THEY CHOSE TO. It has been so long ago, even I have forgotten the specific test equipment specified. I can dig it up and put it up here, but for what reason?
I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, as it has happened so many times before, and it is an insult to Jack Bybee, and also to me, as I am his friend and colleague. That is why I do not like to bring it up, here.

Last edited by john curl; 8th February 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!