John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3442 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 09:02 PM   #34411
diyAudio Member
 
john curl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: berkeley ca
We don't have to back up ANY 'stinking' statements with 'facts'. We just have to do something that WORKS and present it to the world. WHY, it works so well, might be below 'peer reviewed' explanations. It happens all the time with me, and if you want to achieve the audio 'success' that I have, you had better listen up and develop an 'open mind' to what cannot be easily explained by just about anyone. Trust me, the answers will come, but maybe only years later by others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:03 PM   #34412
diyAudio Member
 
jneutron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: away
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Have any of you heard of 'UNCONVENTIONAL SUPERCONDUCTOR'? Check it out on Wikipedia. Jack knew about it when I asked him. Of course, the rest of you know about it as well. However, just 'Google' it PLEASE!
I won't bother googling it, when all I have to do is walk about 200 feet to another wing of the building.

You already know their position.

jn
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:07 PM   #34413
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cooktown, Oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
... no measurements provided, neither any scientific justification about the (technology ?) they used.
Bybee is at least an honest snake oil merchant. These have existed from the year dot and are part of the rich tapestry of life. We all would be poorer (???) without them.

But what is particularly offensive are the pseudo prophets who pontificate ad nauseum about various tests and then either .... refuse to carry out their own tests on their own products ... or if they have results, refuse to release them on the grounds that the unwashed masses may misinterpret them.

These BS merchants are prone to name dropping, claiming they handed the tablets to Moses from a Blowtorch, talking about 'peer review' when its obvious they have no understanding of the term, blaming other people for obvious shortcomings in their designs ... and of course ceaseless self promotion that would embarrass even honest snake oil merchants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:13 PM   #34414
diyAudio Member
 
Kindhornman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, California
As all my college teacher who have been around since the advent of Wikipedia have said, do not use that as a reference source! Wikipedia is a completely unusable source of technical information, it is never to be sighted in a paper for any reason. Will get you a nice grade reduction if you use that source.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:19 PM   #34415
diyAudio Member
 
Kindhornman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, California
John,
Not going to agree or disagree with any of this but it would have been at least an acceptable reference page.

Unconventional Superconductivity
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:37 PM   #34416
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
electroj,
Would you mind stating where in that last statement Christophe said anything silly or inappropriate in that statement.
Aah, the flame wars are coming.. Fine, I have my flameproof trousers on

Although I replied directly to Esperado's post, my last two sentences were directed towards many here.

1. There have been numerous attempts to push John towards showing measurements.
2. Esperado in his post coplained about the same:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
And never provide numbers and Maths.
3. Here's what I consider to be a silly remark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
In the same time, you seem to promote magic secret pure snake oil like this Bybee Quantum Purifier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman
If you make a statement of what is supposed to be fact it seems that you must be able to back up your statements.
Do I have to waste my time to collect the evidence? We all have read the relevant posts in the past.
I will repeat myself - it's not our business what JC promotes and what not! It is also not our business to try to put any products JC promotes (or not) in any category.
This is his thread and we are guests here, we're supposed to behave!
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:43 PM   #34417
diyAudio Member
 
Max Headroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Passive IMD Reduction...

Hello John, in this post The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions) the following image is provided.
Click the image to open in full size.
Could you please explain the test conditions and equipment.
The note on the image states that IMD is 'gone'.
Is this reduction in distortions what you and others subjectively perceive in high quality audio equipment, and what is the effect of the Bybee device in lesser quality 'mid-fi' systems.
Do you (or others) have any multitone IMD measurement results that you are able to provide please.
Passive IMD reduction in typical audio gear if true, would appear to be highly significant !.

Thanks, Dan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:49 PM   #34418
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
The BQP has two terminals. It contains no power supply and, presumably, contains no Maxwell demons. Therefore it can only affect a circuit via its impedance. SY has measured its impedance and found no unusual behaviour.

The absence of a microscopic quantum theory for high temperature superconductors does not mean that they are not understood, just that they are incompletely understood. Some progress can be made via thermodynamics and the phenomenological theory of phase transitions. Above the transition temperature HTS materials are just conductors, and sometimes quite poor conductors.

Trying to connect BQP and HTS appears to be simply an attempt to blow smoke in our eyes. Connections with 'military science' carry little weight too, as the military is well known for spending money on bad science and rejecting good science. Just look at how many security agencies bought the spoof 'explosive detectors' which appeared to consist of a plastic box with two telescopic antennas and a disconnected random PCB inside. Dousing for explosives would have been more useful!

If the BQP does anything at all it probably acts a bit like a lossy ferrite choke. Measurements would show a rising impedance with RF frequency, but remaining not too far from resistive - more like a low Q inductor. If Bybee has got a material which does this better than existing ferrites then he has done something useful, so it is a pity that he feels the need to dress it up in mumbo jumbo for sales purposes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:49 PM   #34419
diyAudio Member
 
Kindhornman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, California
electroj,
I can not answer to what is allowed here in a thread, I guess that goes to the rules of the forum and what the moderator will allow. But this is supposed to be a technical forum and not a sales pitch. If it is to push or sell a product shouldn't that be in the vendor's section? I have no real problem with John at all. I actually think that at times he has been very helpful to many. But he like any of us are going to be called on blanket statements of what are stated as fact, not opinion. We all have our opinions, right or wrong and we should really state them as such. You have also at times sent me in the correct direction to learn something and I do appreciate that. I have had to wear my fireproof big boy pants also in other forums. Been blasted by some with nothing but vindictive opinion and nothing to back it up. I assume it could happen to any of use starting a thread of our own. John seems to have some thick skin to take some of the personal attacks, I would not do that, that to me is just not right, but my momma didn't raise me that way!

Perhaps it is time to return to some technical discussions of fact that we can all agree to disagree about.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 10:03 PM   #34420
diyAudio Member
 
Esperado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
Bybee is at least an honest snake oil merchant....But what is particularly offensive are the pseudo prophets
I will not follow-you on this way. A Blowtosch is a preamplifier that offer *real* services: amplification, volume tuning, choice of sources, power amp drive.
As far as i know, and even if i thing some choices are not so clever (like plain aluminum machined enclosure, or strange silver expensive cables) because they increase the price for no real audio benefit, omho, it is designed with accurate calculations, good choice of components and schematic, fully justified, powered by carefully filtered power regulators.

I don't believe it is the ultimate wonder of fashion, i am not appreciative at all for the quality/price ratio, but i'm sure there is nothing to complain about the way it sounds.
Now, how to say, i can understand the commercial bul*sh*t printed by marketing guys to promote the sales (i participated to such jokes at times), i don't understand the designer to believe in its own legend, or, as you say, to promote himself as a pure genius.
And i'm astonished by its ability to believe in audio black magic, or its attempts to makes-us believe.

Now, why such a hate ?
__________________
Ultimate Protection and more.The Only Source of Knowledge is experience, everything else is just information” ©A. Einstein
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2