John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3440 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 05:44 PM   #34391
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
People love stories of conspiracy. In reality things are both much simpler and much more stupid.
This is funny, about two streets over from here the FBI and Homeland Security just made a raid on a Laser tag business on the lead (apparently) that they were a front for selling optical secrets. Every news truck was here.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:53 PM   #34392
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Maybe they are tied in with the S&P guys .......
Old 7th February 2013, 06:13 PM   #34393
diyAudio Member

John,
I don't think that we are really trying to rub your nose in anything here, but I think that most of us from any type of technical background don't believe in suto-science. If something does something we want to know why and how. Just taking someone's word for something has probably caught most of us at some time with egg on our faces. I do not take anything away from you as a designer and engineer as I can see from your history that you do have facts to back up things that you have done. Some things may be questionable to some, but they were not there to see the work that went into what you have done at say Ampex or many other places you have contributed. But just as I posted the ridiculous pucks to go on a wall and tune out standing waves the enlightened here aren't going for that! I suspect that others are thinking the same for a device that we are told to place on our wires or ac cords that are magical in how they work. Show us the science in any other field that backs it up and we may investigate the claims and see for ourselves, but to blindly take that sort of hockey puck for real is hard to swallow.
Old 7th February 2013, 06:27 PM   #34394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
optical secrets
This is a good example. Laser is a very scary word.
They used diamond made optical lenses for the Photographic equipment of the mars robot. It is to get their surface resistant to heavy sand tempest on mars.
Now, some can sell those out-priced lenses with a commercial 'issued from spatial research' argue: it will not add any benefit to your camera lens, as Diamond is not the best optical material to avoid chromatic aberration.
Scott, i believe you were in a good position to know what is a military device: Did-you ever met something extraordinary, apart hardening and compliance to specs ?

Abut snake oil, one of the most valuable example of fraudulent attempts is indeed this one:
Harmonix by Combak
It is a compilation of near every bul*sh*t you can imagine. Including their own version of the Bybee Quantum Purifier.
I hope Mr Curl will have one day the occasion to make comparative listening sessions between those two devices.
Note that the argues are always the same: It reduce parasitics, add presence, localization and space between instruments, make the scene more 'living'. And no measurements provided, neither any scientific justification about the (technology ?) they used.

Last edited by Esperado; 7th February 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 06:38 PM   #34395
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
I'm with you on this one. Take the top device on that page. Something to go on your phone cartridge and tune it to sound better! Well so would placing a penny on top of that same cartridge and I would say you should be able to hear a difference when you change the mass on the cartridge but I for one am not paying someone for that! Let's leave this stuff for the consumer that believes that most water in a bottle is better than the same water from the tap, most of it is just that but makes someone the money to buy that Bentley.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:01 PM   #34396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Something to go on your phone cartridge and tune it to sound better!
Sound different, of course. But even if it sound the same, it is easy to convince any naive people, with a convincing pitch followed by listening comparisons, that there is an obvious improvement! They want so much to be convinced.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:05 PM   #34397
diyAudio Member

Kindhornman, many phenomena cannot be easily understood, including type 2 superconductivity. Keep an open mind, and you might learn something both new AND DIFFERENT.

Last edited by john curl; 7th February 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:30 PM   #34398
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

A couple things i did back in the dark ages of the roaming of phono arms and cartridges that worked without adding any significant weight: The arm was a Grace uni-pivot.... after replacing the internal wires with the smallest coax ever made.... I filled the arm tube with injected foam. same type used for drafts around windows and doors from your local hardware store.... high expansion foam. Light weight and lots of open cells but it damped the tube arm better than nothing/air.

On top of the thin stamped metal headphone shell I put a piece of thin double-sided foam tape.

Cheap and worked well for the combo i had.
[Used a Denon 103 cartridge at 1.0-1.5g pressure, I recall.]

Kavi A. has it now along with my lightly modified Thorens TD160.

Thx--RNMarsh
Just something I tried to learn what affect it might have.

Last edited by RNMarsh; 7th February 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:35 PM   #34399
diyAudio Member

John,
It isn't even that it needs to be easy to understand, just something that has a scientific basis in fact. I don't understand plenty in astrophysics but there is always some explanation of fact even if it is later found to be a mistaken fact that is corrected. If we can see or measure something eventually a theory of how it works does come to bare. That is all we are asking for sometimes, a theory of fact that we can investigate. I am always looking to learn something new or I wouldn't bother to spend my time here in the first place. I have learned many things already but I do have a pretty good filter for fairy dust.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:36 PM   #34400
diyAudio Member

Type 2 superconductivity, Yeah !
Magnetic vortices in Supra conductors or super fluids ! Good one
That is EXACTY how work my Starship able to go 100 time faster than the light speed.
It save-me a lot of time, each time i have to get some fresh food from the supermarket.

Last edited by Esperado; 7th February 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!