John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you guys need to talk directly to a manufacturer or fabricator who insists on having your company name and credentials and only wants to deal in serious business, how do you go about it? IE, what if you want to buy some IC wafers and make a chip-on-board thing? How do you talk with those people so they won't just ignore you, providing you have the company behind you and are serious?

I have found that they also want to know what the project is you need the parts fro, trying to get generic information can be a pain.... The other thing is either volume of parts or the ability to pay ridicules amounts of money, quite often you need a large carrot.
Often the problem is you may want say 1000 parts, but they will have customers that will be buying 10,000-100,000+ parts so often even though you think your volume is large, often in comparison it isn't. This does vary from company to company, some are excellent some are a nightmare, even getting data sheets.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ed I’ll wait the 6th part of the story to know what happened to the cyclist.
I had the impression that all this was meant as a kind of metaphor but I am not sure anymore.

"A nose that can see is worth two that sniff." Eugene Ionesco

Shin Nakagawa, Fidelix

Thank you Jacco for the service.
I found one patent of him which I read.
The motivation: “It is said that people can physically feel a very high frequency in a spectrum of a music signal up to about 90kHz”.
It is written that the seven different embodiments were trimmed by listening tests.
Do you know of any commercial product incorporating any of these embodiments? (All right, an improperly adjusted phono cartridge connected to a wide band amplifying chain can accomplish a good part of the same effect without any of the extra circuit complexity, which is considerable)

There are some nice details in the switching power supply patents from the same inventor.

George

My cellphone has recharged and to continue the story and get to the reason why it got posted.

The bicyclist survived. He was wearing a helmet. So he wasn't and I use the words quite literally "Terminally Stupid." Now wearing black clothes with a black bicycle after dark probably did contribute to the accident.

The first issue for why the story got told, is why did I at first think it was a bit of tree?

Turns out the current thinking in such research is that our intelligence is memory based. We can adapt what our senses are inputting and try to match a previously stored template. A black object in the road was expected to be and most often encountered would be a tree limb. However our brain does respond to what is at variance with those memories. So when I got close enough to see the spokes the exception brought up other images. It actually took a few seconds to recognize a bicycle and a person.

Now one of the biggest changes in brain science came in the late 70's that is when they realized that higher level processing of vision, sound, touch etc all occurred in the cerebrum. The cerebrum is a layer of tissue six cells thick about the size of a wash cloth. There are billions of interconnections between the cells. One current thesis is that memory is actually stored by scars.

The new idea was that if the cerebrum was constructed the same way to process all the senses then the senses were all being processed the same way.

(I tend to think of the process as six stage IIR filters. Each burned to a specific response and interconnected almost beyond belief.)

Now the way I assembled the story was to highlight this memory recall method. The final paragraph was certainly telegraphed throughout the tale.

Did you see you family at the dinner table? Or did you form an image of a truck on fire? Did you imagine a rider on a red bicycle?

Today perhaps you formed some new memories. Would you stay in a car on fire? Would you go out a night on a public road dressed in black? (Or do your kids on bicycles have a high visibility vest?)

Now next post why this applies to the technical discussion Scott and I were having!

"Shaka, When the Walls Fell"

Last edited:
Answers from a physicist

I think our intuition that electrons are always the charge carriers comes from the fact that:

1.) electrons are very light compared to protons, so if you imagine putting a proton in an electric field and an electron in the same electric field, the electron will be accelerated 1000x more (same charge, 1/1000th the mass). This means that when there is a charge imbalance and either proton or electron flow could alleviate it, the electrons will flow way before the protons are impelled to move.

2.) electrons are the mobile charged particles in a solid - all the protons are bound in nuclei. Since almost all of our intuition about current flow comes from wires or other solid conductors, we're almost exclusively worrying about electron flow

Protons interact in ways that electrons do not. They get trapped inside nuclei due to the effects of the strong force. Electrons are not affected by the strong force, and so they only get trapped by the electrical attraction to the nucleus which is much weaker in ionized atoms. Therefore it is easier for electrons to move away from one atom to another, transferring charge.

When charges flow through a surface,they can be positive, negative, or both. The direction of conventional current is the direction positive charges flow. In a common conductor such as copper, the current is due to the motion of negatively charged electrons, so the direction of the current is opposite the direction of motion of the electrons. On the other hand, for a beam of positively-charged protons in an accelerator, the current is in the same direction as the motion of the protons. In some cases— gases and electrolytes, for example—the current is the result of the flows of both positive and negative charges. Moving charges, whether positive or negative, are referred to as charge carriers. In a metal, for example, the charge carriers are electrons.

Last edited:

Now this is why I mentioned how memory works. Scott and I do not have any disagreement over what he just posted or that current is the movement of charge usually carried by electrons.

Where he seemed to get stuck was when I mentioned charge travelling through a conductor near the speed of light, he thought I meant that the electrons were traveling at that speed. In the cited paper they cite the 1900 model of the charge (or just for Scott the electron carrying the charge) enters a conductor and essentially pushes a charge (or electron carrying the charge) out the other end to maintain the charge balance in the conductor. this is much faster than the electron movement.

So since we agree that current is so many charges per second the question becomes: If I have a CD player putting out a signal at -60 dB (2 mV) into an IEC standard 20,000 ohm load, how many charges per second are moving?

Last edited:
enters a conductor and essentially pushes a charge (or electron carrying the charge) out the other end to maintain the charge balance in the conductor. this is much faster than the electron movement.

Yes but it's not a "charge" moving at c, only the signal. You even say it yourself the one entering does not transverse the wire the signal does. Apply a step to a T-line and you can see the EM wave transverse it with the right set up. Charge is not an entity but a property of a particle, no particle is moving at c.

Last edited:
Yes but it's not a "charge" moving at c, only the signal. You even say it yourself the one entering does not transverse the wire the signal does. Apply a step to a T-line and you can see the EM wave transverse it with the right set up. Charge is not an entity but a property of a particle, no particle is moving at c.

Not "the" charge, charge. So when Vito Charge enters Joe Charge leaves as quickly as possible.

So for 2 mV (DC) at 20,000 ohms the current would be 1e-7 x 6.24e18 or 6.24e11 charges moving per second. With a mean propagation velocity of .8c that would allow 2600 charges per meter in a cable carrying that current. (And the same moving the other way in the return path.

Not "the" charge, charge. So when Vito Charge enters Joe Charge leaves as quickly as possible.

So for 2 mV (DC) at 20,000 ohms the current would be 1e-7 x 6.24e18 or 6.24e11 charges moving per second. With a mean propagation velocity of .8c that would allow 2600 charges per meter in a cable carrying that current. (And the same moving the other way in the return path.

Whatever you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.