John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3419 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 07:34 PM   #34181
diyAudio Member

I didn't think so, SY, or you would have substituted Volvo for Yugo. '-)
Old 4th February 2013, 07:35 PM   #34182
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm sure you'd be happy with that mid-fi Swedish crap. But when you want the best, you have to go that extra kilometer and work on the crankshafts in a Pepsi factory. This is important for those of us who win tasting contests.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:43 PM   #34183
diyAudio Member

While the Gordini had about 8 HP (as I recall) more power, I had a standard Dauphine, which I treated with the utmost care, changing the oil every 1000 mi, myself with Valvoline, greasing it myself, etc. I was trying to see, that IF I took care of this new car with the UTMOST of care and service, drove it carefully, warmed it up always, etc., whether it would last 'indefinitely'. NO, IT DIDN'T. A lesson learned as a future engineer. You MUST have a product that is well enough made in the first place, with quality materials, etc, if you want extra ordinary longevity in the motor and everything else in the auto. SY, you should try it too, sometime.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:03 PM   #34184
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
If 32 bit calculation is problematic, your computer won't work.
Let alone 64 bit!
Old 4th February 2013, 08:11 PM   #34185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
NO, IT DIDN'T.
It was a very cheap popular car, not designed to run more than 100 000 Km (~60 000 miles) . After that, it is a collector.
For long lasting cars, you better had to look at Mercedes or Peugeot (Colombo) at this time.
But it was very funny to drive sportively, with motor and transmission on the back, oversteer like a Porsche.
I had a R8 Gordini for a while and made some rallies and hill climbing with it.

Peugeot 403 (full analog):
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Esperado; 4th February 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:43 PM   #34186
diyAudio Member

Sy,
I am really surprised that you have not kept up with the times. I would much rather use an Ivory Slide rule myself, but that is just so Western in my thinking. And John, you mean you didn't step up to a Citroen, if you are going to drive a French car do it right! My best car so far was a 1974 450SEL Mercedes, went 500K miles with only one freshening of the engine. I did that in the street in front of my parents house myself. I still have some of the special tools you need to take the heads off and also to change the rear half shaft outer wheel bearings. Loved that car. Latest BMW was falling apart, trim falling off on the inside and outside front marker lights would do the same thing. No comparison between these two makes, though the data sheet may tell you different!

And I can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke any time, Coke is not nearly as sweet as Pepsi unless we are talking about the aborted New Coke!
Old 4th February 2013, 08:48 PM   #34187
diyAudio Member

One of the reasons I never liked Ralph Nader was his attack on the Corvair. Why he did that but left the Porsche alone is beyond me, the same layout and the identical oversteering problems alike back in those days. If he hadn't done that we might have an American rear engine car today that would easily compete with today's Porsche.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:59 PM   #34188
diyAudio Member

"The Dauphine is one of the most dangerous cars ever" my dad told me when our neighbour, who he didn't particularly like, had just bought one. Was it just wishful thinking? Our neighbour survived.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:25 PM   #34189
diyAudio Member

Vacuphile,
I don't know about that, I think I would rather be in the Dauphine than an Isetta any time. At least there was some metal to crush before you got hit!
Old 4th February 2013, 11:15 PM   #34190
diyAudio Member

I'm very surprised to see how some American guys can know so much about 60/70s European cars ! The only ones from US we knew, at this time, were Cadillac and Ford Mustang, and we were not able to put a name on those we seen in the movies.

I had a better knowledge with US audio products at this time :-)

Last edited by Esperado; 4th February 2013 at 11:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!