John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3374 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 09:31 PM   #33731
diyAudio Member

Sure, Lemo is great! Kind of expensive.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:47 PM   #33732
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Oh, please !!!
Look at the image.
Belden is a top professional cable manufacturer and know how to build cables for audio: the drain is OUTSIDE the foil, and the foil is not spiraled; They provide specs, just look at them.
The drain outside the foil will be the low impedance connection for shield currents and and will cause the current centroid to become assymetrical. Sort of defies the purpose of a shielded cable.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:55 PM   #33733
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
The drain outside the foil will be the low impedance connection for shield currents and and will cause the current centroid to become assymetrical. Sort of defies the purpose of a shielded cable.
Again, the foil is very thick and low-z and in contact with the drain all the way. The drain is only here to help welding, strait, while the two wires are twisted. Please, get a sample and measure before to give false inputs. Really no need to argue endless, are-you working for a challenger manufacturer ?
The negative impact of this is the cable is a little rigid: nice for fixed wiring, not nice as a microphone cable.

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:01 PM   #33734
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well it's good to know that someone made the apparent effort to read the article I linked without getting rude about defending their personal choice. It's too much of a bother to have a technical discussion in this forum without dealing with such rudeness.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #33735
diyAudio Member

Pooge, thanks, but I did not link to your article. It is rather common knowledge for those who have read and understood the interesting and informative contributions of JNeutron on this site.The insights he communicated were applicable to this situation so I shamelessly passed them on without mentioning their source.

Last edited by vacuphile; 27th January 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:18 PM   #33736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooge View Post
Well it's good to know that someone made the apparent effort to read the article I linked without getting rude about defending their personal choice. It's too much of a bother to have a technical discussion in this forum without dealing with such rudeness.
Well, my recommendation was based on *real experience*, with kilometers of cables on very complex installations, like a 120 TV channels computer based recording and monitoring system in Qatar. With 120/120 audio matrix. You can imagine we made some measurements before to order the GOOD cables and had to sign very severe 'accordance' ?
I don' think I'm rude, just bored with the same old story: audiophile fantasies VS real world efficiency and quality. Like this recent story between high end cables handcrafted by virgins losing connection cause the lack of a stupid XLR latch !

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:19 PM   #33737
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Pooge, thanks, but I did not really read your linked article.
You should, if you haven't already. Anything by Whitlock regarding noise and interfacing components is well worth the time.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:26 PM   #33738
diyAudio Member

This one is good .http://www.jensen-transformers.com/a...%20seminar.pdf
Old 27th January 2013, 10:29 PM   #33739
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You should, if you haven't already. Anything by Whitlock regarding noise and interfacing components is well worth the time.
On your recommendation I will.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:34 PM   #33740
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On your recommendation I will.
Do it with the realization that it is not directed to an "audiophile fantasy", but includes real world experience and measurements by the likes of Whitlock, Muncy and Brown.

Hide this!Advertise here!