John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3373 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 06:39 PM   #33721
diyAudio Member

The Cyril Bateman Articles in Electronics World Magazine
from the Doug Self references.
I don't know what the "S" indicates.

Measuring Speaker Cables: 1 Cyril Bateman Dec 1996 p925
Measuring Speaker Cables: 2 Cyril Bateman Jan 1997 p52
Measuring Speaker Cables: 3 Cyril Bateman Feb 1997 p119
Capacitor Distortion: Part 1 Cyril Bateman July 2002 p12 S
Capacitor Distortion: Part 2 Cyril Bateman Sept 2002 p16 S
Capacitor Distortion: Part 3 Cyril Bateman Oct 2002 p12 S
Capacitor Distortion: Part 4 Cyril Bateman Nov 2002 p40 S
Capacitor Distortion: Part 5 Cyril Bateman Dec 2002 p44 S
Capacitor Distortion: Part 6 Cyril Bateman Jan 2003 p44 S
Capacitor Sounds II: Part 1
Real-Time Hardware Cyril Bateman July 2003 p36 S
Capacitor Sounds II: Part 2
Distortion v Time v Bias Cyril Bateman Aug 2003 p46 S
Capacitor Sounds II: Part 3
Distortion Meter Cyril Bateman Sept 2003 p46 S
Capacitor and Amplifier Distortions Cyril Bateman Nov 2003 p44 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 1 Cyril Bateman Oct 2004 p22 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 2 Cyril Bateman Nov 2004 p26 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 3 Cyril Bateman Dec 2004 p10 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 4 Cyril Bateman Jan 2005 p34 S

S = ???
Old 27th January 2013, 07:34 PM   #33722
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Served shield? After all the intense discussions about shielding here I'm surprised to see anyone recommending a served (single spiral) shield. It makes for a very flexible cable but the shield performance is not as good as a braid. I would have thought anything less than a quad shield construction would be unacceptable, except for those who think shielded cables are bad. . .
I was assuming his application was home audio where he wouldn't be dealing with particularly long lengths of cable in which case a served shield or even no shield at all can work perfectly well.

se
Old 27th January 2013, 07:38 PM   #33723
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post

When symetrical, you don't care, when asym, never weld the shield target side, use the white wire for ground reference instead. In real world, the wires are rigid enough, they are not microphonic, very well shielded, and sound great.
I don't think you're getting the point. Foil/drain brings LESS symmetry to a symmetrical pair than, for example, braid and foil.
Old 27th January 2013, 07:49 PM   #33724
diyAudio Member

I want all the electronics and their connexions in a continuous Faraday cage. Therefore, I want a cable shield with low impedance connections to the enclosures that house the sending and receiving electronics. As was mentioned by Steve Eddy, for home electronics with short length cable runs, it probably doesn't matter that much, but I want perfection, so a <5mm balanced braided shield cable is what I yearn for.

It will be a challenge to solder it together in mini XLR, but with the help of a stereo microscope it can be done. Probably.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:02 PM   #33725
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
I want all the electronics and their connexions in a continuous Faraday cage. Therefore, I want a cable shield with low impedance connections to the enclosures that house the sending and receiving electronics. As was mentioned by Steve Eddy, for home electronics with short length cable runs, it probably doesn't matter that much, but I want perfection, so a <5mm balanced braided shield cable is what I yearn for.

It will be a challenge to solder it together in mini XLR, but with the help of a stereo microscope it can be done. Probably.
The star quad is a bee-atch I agree, even with normal XLR, but you'll be a better person for the effort. Plus the cable is more immune to magnetic fields than ordinary twisted pair.
Old 27th January 2013, 08:08 PM   #33726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post

Perfection? I think there's another word for that but I'll just bow out now.

se
Old 27th January 2013, 08:40 PM   #33727
diyAudio Member

Steve, that word probably got to do with approximately the part I am sitting on right now, with 'retentive' added.

I wasn't clear enough, as in my case I also need to design for large cable runs >25 meter to active speakers with classD amps and switched power supplies, so it is also a matter for EMR not radiating out.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:13 PM   #33728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooge View Post
Foil/drain wire constructions have a higher shield current induced noise than other constructions.
Oh, please !!!
Look at the image.
Belden is a top professional cable manufacturer and know how to build cables for audio: the drain is OUTSIDE the foil, and the foil is not spiraled; They provide specs, just look at them.

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:18 PM   #33729
diyAudio Member

I trust John C has some thought about lemo connectors.
Old 27th January 2013, 09:28 PM   #33730
diyAudio Member

About Belden 1023A, this cable is very good both for sap-in connectors, because both the conductors and the isolators are very solid, and for welding because isolators are high temperature resistant. That's all the difference between an 'audiophile' product and a real professional one, easy to set and weld, long lasting, and very good performance. But they don't look anything like spacial or exotic.

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 09:31 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!