John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3370 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 05:49 AM   #33691
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Christophe, this is the one we like, right?
:-)
Or those ?
Canon: Click the image to open in full size.
Neutrik: Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 27th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #33692
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
To me it was called a Cannon connector long before I knew them as XLR connectors. So I would guess that we were using Cannon made parts.
Old 27th January 2013, 06:04 AM   #33693
diyAudio Member

For my hifi system, i have changed a lot of RCAs for those mini XLR:
Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Christophe,
To me it was called a Cannon connector long before I knew them as XLR connectors. So I would guess that we were using Cannon made parts.
Yes, I believe Cannon was the ones who design the standard, and we too named those plugs Cannon before Neutrik came on the market with more fashionable parts.

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 27th January 2013, 06:46 AM   #33694
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

A little history of the Cannon XLR connector: XLR History

Neutrik actually comes from "New Trick" as in a better way to make an XLR type connector.

It seems there is demand on the part of users for a no latch XLR type connector. As often happens consumer desire trumps good design.
Old 27th January 2013, 07:30 AM   #33695
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I like the term "audio fashion" or "highend fashion"
Old 27th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #33696
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Christophe- interesting, mine does. The connectors make a satisfying "click" when they're inserted and cannot pull out.

Like you, I've switched over to mini-XLR for some of my equipment, and will use them exclusively in the future. Very solid and reliable connections, which actually ARE important for sound.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:44 AM   #33697
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
George, you are exceeding your understanding of the situation. Nobody here is expected to buy a Parasound. Heck, I have a hard time convincing many of you to buy a used or broken Parasound and fixing it up. People here are just too frugal. They WANT to make their own stuff, even when we have as good or better designs available at a price lower than someone here could even buy the parts, and pay themselves minimum wage to put them together.
I believe in 'after market service'. Parasound believes in it too. But someone cannot just 'yank our chain' for no really good reason, and get us to give them something for nothing. The Parasound products have a good long term guarantee. Check it out for yourself.

Mr Curl
I really wish that it is only me who has (miss) noticed a suicidal element in this reaction from the part of the -attitudes matching- company and you.

But I have to agree with you. It is highly improbable that somebody will come in my cave asking for my opinion on purchasing an amplifier, let alone a Diasilence one. I am buried beneath my trash, rarely communicating with the outside -active market- world, practically incapable of spreading any message.

On a lesser tone.

I do understand that the fashion reality of Hi End market and the diy way of thinking/acting don’t meet.
Targets, ethics and meaning of words are different.

On the highlighted part:
You don’t lose the chance to make a point as to how an outsider you have remained in here. Not even your shoes outsoles have been wetted by the diy mug.

George
Old 27th January 2013, 11:22 AM   #33698
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
A little history of the Cannon XLR connector: XLR History

Neutrik actually comes from "New Trick" as in a better way to make an XLR type connector.

It seems there is demand on the part of users for a no latch XLR type connector. As often happens consumer desire trumps good design.
Demian,

The site here by Ray Rayburn is a nice read. Ray does serve on AES technical committees. There are a few twists he missed. The first microphone connectors used were a Hubbel twist lock. Think back to when Bogen was a major technical innovator.

The cannon XL got it's pro audio boost from the Ice Capades! The were the biggest touring show for decades. Their contract called for RCA ribbon microphones and the Cannon connectors along with the rest of a state of the art sound system.

Now the other issue that seems to be confused is the difference between a latch and a retention spring.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:23 PM   #33699
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Mr Curl
I really wish that it is only me who has (miss) noticed a suicidal element in this reaction from the part of the -attitudes matching- company and you.

But I have to agree with you. It is highly improbable that somebody will come in my cave asking for my opinion on purchasing an amplifier, let alone a Diasilence one. I am buried beneath my trash, rarely communicating with the outside -active market- world, practically incapable of spreading any message.

On a lesser tone.

I do understand that the fashion reality of Hi End market and the diy way of thinking/acting don’t meet.
Targets, ethics and meaning of words are different.

On the highlighted part:
You don’t lose the chance to make a point as to how an outsider you have remained in here. Not even your shoes outsoles have been wetted by the diy mug.

George
Some who buy high-end watch the DIY threads that have professional designers in attendance to advance our depth at analysis and selection. Some of us are also VERY sensitive to vendor attitudes toward customers whether those customers purchase high-end or not. We also compare notes.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #33700
diyAudio Member

Everyone, please understand that I have always been concerned about the legitimate concerns of customers of any manufacturer that I have worked with, as well as myself.
I backed up warranties when Mark Levinson 'dropped the ball' 35 years ago, and I have even helped with Parasound warranty problems over the decades.
However, this is something that I cannot do anything about. I can't CHANGE the connector, without voiding the warranty. I can't accuse my boss of poor quality parts, because the product sold was not a JC-series, and we apparently have had no other complaints. If the connector is actually defective, why doesn't SY recommend that it be sent back under warranty? Did they buy it from a legitimate dealer? That seems to be the only way that they could 'screw up' and void the warranty.
Now, what about Parasound's position? I have only had a couple of e-mails, back and forth, but they are adamant that they are 'in the right', and if there is a problem, perhaps SY should have gone to them first, instead of me. I would tend to agree with this.
While I approve of Neutrik connectors and INSIST upon them, at the very minimum, for all designs that I have control over, including the BLOWTORCH, I just don't have control over this design decision, that was made in Taiwan by their engineers, after the fact.
Please everyone do not read anything arrogant or complacent about this situation into my feelings or opinion presently. I would like to help, but I can't. I tried to make the case to my boss, and I was turned down. And maybe my boss knows more about the situation than me.

Last edited by john curl; 27th January 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!