John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3369 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2013, 02:24 AM   #33681
diyAudio Member

Thanks chopper, that's the best advice I have gotten all week. For the record, I have both a Japanese car (made in Japan) and an old Porsche 944 that has been well maintained. I will probably keep the for as long as I will live.
Unfortunately, the Porsche gets harder and harder to get into. '-)
Old 27th January 2013, 02:59 AM   #33682
diyAudio Member

John,
By the way I happen to have three Parasound amplifiers. I don't think any of them you had anything to do with, they were sold to me cheaply for a CES show and I still have them. Not the best sounding amps in the world but they worked well in that instance. I still have to find where I stashed one of them and then I can change all the output devices that I took out with an oscillating crossover mistake while in bridged mode! The build quality was fine, the binding post perhaps were a bit funky, but otherwise a decent product. I am sure that I would have like one of your designs more but those are the breaks. And if I remember correctly there wasn't an opamp in the unit. All discrete devices.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:10 AM   #33683
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
And if I remember correctly there wasn't an opamp in the unit. All discrete devices.
The involuntary shudder that goes through the ranks when opamps, and power amplifiers are mentioned in the same breath ...

One of the most impressive amps I heard 20 years ago, no looker whatsoever, drove a bit of rubbish of a speaker in a dramatically good way in a demo. With a miserable opamp inside doing all the real work ...

Some of the most powerful and impressive to the reviewer, high value British fare have used this "naughty" technique. Being politically incorrect, I guess it had to be dumped for marketing purposes ...

Edit: You want a real laugh?? Check out how many meaty, real men's, grunt plus guitar ampliers use a miserable $5 chip amp to do the work ... the whole thing is quite amusing, really ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 27th January 2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:14 AM   #33684
diyAudio Member

It is hard to say what you have without model numbers. I am only directly associated with a small portion of amps and preamps from Parasound. I don't even know who designs the rest of the models, some of which virtually directly compete with some of my designs. To be sure, they don't quibble over connectors, that is how they can offer such low prices, even with what they add to them. They buy a number of parts and share them with almost all the different models. Only the JC-series products use specifically specified parts, and of course, this increases the final product cost considerably, but I think its worth it. My really exotic stuff costs about 4 times as much as Parasound, because of the lack of production volume or manufacturing efficiency.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:18 AM   #33685
diyAudio Member

fas42,
Don't think that I was disrespecting opamp's in power amps. I just was mentioning that the much cheaper Parasound amps didn't have anything but discrete devices in them, I did not have to pay the big bucks for a JC Parasound to get all discrete devices.
Old 27th January 2013, 03:28 AM   #33686
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
fas42,
Don't think that I was disrespecting opamp's in power amps. I just was mentioning that the much cheaper Parasound amps didn't have anything but discrete devices in them, I did not have to pay the big bucks for a JC Parasound to get all discrete devices.
Either way is fine, of course, but for me the smart money would be to use a top notch opamp to get the sound right. Years ago, mammoth, Krell eating, Musical Fidelity amps used the idea for a short while ...

Frank
Old 27th January 2013, 04:09 AM   #33687
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
No, I said the opposite. The Behringer DOES use XLR with latches. Apparently saving the extra 5 cents or so wasn't worth the reliability hit for their under $200 box.
SY, I have a Berhinger 2496. There is NO latches in mine for the input XLRs.
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/image...496-484709.jpg

Last edited by Esperado; 27th January 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 27th January 2013, 04:29 AM   #33688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post

Edit: You want a real laugh?? Check out how many meaty, real men's, grunt plus guitar ampliers use a miserable $5 chip amp to do the work ... the whole thing is quite amusing, really ...

Frank
Name one.....
Almost all serious guitar amps not only do not use I.C.s,
but do not use solid state ........
Old 27th January 2013, 05:04 AM   #33689
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
Name one.....
Almost all serious guitar amps not only do not use I.C.s,
but do not use solid state ........
Straight off the top of Google: Marshall MF350 Mode Four 350W(!!!) Head -- four TDA7293 power amp chips, , do it all ...

Even uses an ECC83 valve for that "warm" sound ...

Marshall MF350 Mode Four 350W Head | Musician's Friend

Frank
Old 27th January 2013, 06:13 AM   #33690
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
SY, I have a Berhinger 2496. There is NO latches in mine for the input XLRs.
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/image...496-484709.jpg
Christophe, this is the one we like, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f-latched.JPG (64.4 KB, 149 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!