John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3365 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 06:37 AM   #33641
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

well the cardas are a pretty good replacement for the neutrik (which I think are very good as they are) but they dont have a latch, however i've never had any issue with cables pulling out (anyone using 5kg XLR cables doesnt have much grounds for complaint). the furutech top of the line have a weird hole pattern and the tolerance isnt that great, very tight, but I havent used their latest one which I think might fit and is PCB mount. they look much better than their more expensive model IMO

Last edited by qusp; 26th January 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 26th January 2013, 07:09 AM   #33642
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Cardas - higher priced, I would guess?
Old 26th January 2013, 08:43 AM   #33643
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
The XLR does not use the catch to prevent this - used on Pro gear's XLR.... not so much on consumer gear. Cables hanging down will tend to pull out under the cable own weight. Their might be an exact replacement XLR version with the catch/latch option. Or reposition the gear so the cable isnt pulling down and out. -RNM
Actually this is one case where those expensive wood cable blocks are worth their money & improve sound
SY you can make yourself even more popular by recommending another purchase to your boss, this time one that fixes your earlier bum recommendation

jan
Old 26th January 2013, 09:55 AM   #33644
diyAudio Member

This amp is MADE TO A PRICE. That is why they chose a cheaper connector that I would have used, if I personally built it, or regulated its layout and specific parts, like we did for the JC-1 and the JC-2, for instance. The JC series represent the 'hi end' contribution from Parasound and they are fine 'bargains' compared to much in the hi end community. They are designed to win 'listening contests'. The A-21 and the A-23, while they have similar topology to the JC-1 are stripped as bare as possible, in order to be cost effective. You see, many people do NOT believe me wise, when I insist on a Neutrik connector for the JC series. What's the difference, they say, except extra cost? I think it is important to use a good connector, and I have no idea why they used a balanced connector without a latch. However, you get what you pay for, and I can't do anything about it without the specific consent and cooperation from Parasound, who thinks the criticism absurd.
PMA, you are not being helpful, here. Perhaps you should admit that you are a competitor, now. Personally, I prefer to get along with my 'competition' because I think it is the 'professional' thing to do. You don't see me 'knocking' Ayre or Nelson Pass do you? Do you think I approve of each and everything that they make and do? Of course not, but it is not my PLACE to criticize them directly, and I deliberately refrain from doing so. Please take this advice under consideration.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #33645
diyAudio Member

It is 'than' not 'that' in the first line of my last input.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:41 AM   #33646
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

John, as an exercise, if you designed a unit as an all-out assault on the SOTA, and then had to create a half price version, and a quarter price version, etc, what specific areas or parts would be "compromised" to get the price reduction. And how would you assess this: by acquired knowledge, or intensive listening assessment, or a combination of the two?

Frank
Old 26th January 2013, 10:45 AM   #33647
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
PMA, you are not being helpful, here. Perhaps you should admit that you are a competitor, now. Personally, I prefer to get along with my 'competition' because I think it is the 'professional' thing to do.
John, I am not any competitor. Since the beginning of the year 2012 I am not involved in audio sales, production and also not paid for designs. I make a living in a completely different field than audio business. My only audio activity now is that I have offered to public a free open project of MM phono preamplifier, with negative profit, just to share some knowledge.

I consider you as a very good, probably excellent audio designer. But I want to stay neutral. That means, if I consider some engineering idea wrong and can prove it, I will do it. Same for choice of connectors in JC-1 and A21. It is not your fault, but Parasound's fault, so I do not understand why you have troubles to digest if I mention the parts are quite poor, and they made issues to SY's customer. This is an open space, open forum and as such we should exchange our ideas and knowledge without any pressure. This is not a political campaign, so let's stay in technical, engineering and scientific level if possible.

Please try to be not so much suspicious.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:13 AM   #33648
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Since the beginning of the year 2012 I am not involved in audio sales, production and also not paid for designs. I make a living in a completely different field than audio business. My only audio activity now is that I have offered to public a free open project of MM phono preamplifier, with negative profit, just to share some knowledge..
I'm waiting for you to share your preamp schematics.
Old 26th January 2013, 01:01 PM   #33649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
This amp is MADE TO A PRICE. That is why they chose a cheaper connector that I would have used,
Let's stay technical. After all those posts about unobtainium relays with plain gold contacts etc..., i wonder how you can satisfy yourself with poor contacts in the most important place of an amp produced under your signature: the input signal.
The problem is not that there is no lock on the XLR, the problem is there is not enough contact pressure to ensure good contacts as well as mechanical positioning.
If it is so, for some reason, i suppose Parasound can consider-it as a breakdown of this XLR component.
You said it is a reduced price production. Well, i would have save money with the enclosure design, plain aluminum, etc. Not electronic, including connector's quality.

I was in concern with such a situation, long time ago, to design a cheap version of an amp. The answer was: reduced power, changes of volume contactors by potentiometers, use of less expensive printed circuits here or there. But no changes if that had an obvious consequence on the sound quality.
An input plug that disconnect have consequences on the sound quality :-)

I wonder why, John, do you react that way: "Buy a Crown". It means Crown offers better quality for the price ?
If i understand well, you are not responsible at all about that, just a consultant which designed the electronic ? So what ? I would had try to call Parasound to help the exchange of this amps, because it is better for both Parasound image (it is on Gougle now) , and your own reputation as well.
They make reference to you " Designed by The Legendary John Curl".

Last edited by Esperado; 26th January 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 26th January 2013, 01:32 PM   #33650
diyAudio Member

We had a problem, at a time, with one of our customers situated just under Eiffel Tower, where are all the TV and radio emitters.
He was receiving radio by the pre-amplifier. Well, we decided to send somebody from the R&D department to solve his problem. Although our manufacture was 100 miles from Paris.
For two reasons: It was good for our image and it was a good way to avoid radio detection in future production.
Result, our client was so proud we send a engineer, just to solve his own problem, that he told the story to a journalist and we had an article in a newspaper about the care we given to our customers.
After sale service had never any more any return for radio detection after some changes in our production.
How to spend 3 time the price of the amp (travel+effort), acquire knowledge, and save 3 time the price of a commercial in newspaper.
Or, how to get benefit of a negative accident.

Hide this!Advertise here!