John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3361 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 10:16 PM   #33601
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

He's tried 3 different cables, presumably with different connectors- I can't remember the names, it's all sort of meaningless to me. They all work fine with his previous amp. I followed half of John's recommendation and told him to try to exchange it for something like a Pass. I guessed that when he spends multiple kilobucks, Nelson wouldn't sneer at him, dismiss his purchase as "mid fi," and would actually deliver a quality product.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:33 PM   #33602
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
He's tried 3 different cables, presumably with different connectors- I can't remember the names, it's all sort of meaningless to me. They all work fine with his previous amp. I followed half of John's recommendation and told him to try to exchange it for something like a Pass. I guessed that when he spends multiple kilobucks, Nelson wouldn't sneer at him, dismiss his purchase as "mid fi," and would actually deliver a quality product.
And it looks like you're screwed as far as replacing it as it's a PC mount jack and I doubt it would have the same footprint as a Neutrik.

se
Old 25th January 2013, 10:37 PM   #33603
diyAudio Moderator

At this point, I wouldn't bother. John thinks that his customers are somehow beneath him and that's not the kind of business attitude I support. If I said something like that to a customer, I'd be fired no matter how much my boss liked me- and I'd deserve it.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:42 PM   #33604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At this point, I wouldn't bother. John thinks that his customers are somehow beneath him and that's not the kind of business attitude I support. If I said something like that to a customer, I'd be fired no matter how much my boss liked me- and I'd deserve it.
Yeah. But if that were the case at least now you know who you could send your resume to.

se
Old 25th January 2013, 10:42 PM   #33605
diyAudio Member

How about a strain relief, plastic wire tie around each cable and one of those big handles? How are these getting loose? In a set-up and tear-down professional use or home? Certainly surprising for XLRs.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 25th January 2013, 10:47 PM   #33606
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
or that:
An Introduction to Mixed-Signal IC Test and Measurement (The Oxford Series in Electrical and Computer Engineering): Amazon.de: Gordon Roberts, Friedrich Taenzler, Mark Burns: Englische Bücher

Hey, currently they offer a 20 ct. discount!!!
(make sure you don't get the first edition, white cover)

Gerhard
Old 25th January 2013, 10:53 PM   #33607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
How about a strain relief, plastic wire tie around each cable and one of those big handles? How are these getting loose? In a set-up and tear-down professional use or home? Certainly surprising for XLRs.
Even non-latching ones. Must be something in the design of the female contacts that's wanting to keep spitting them out like that. And I assume this is just a home setup.

se
Old 25th January 2013, 10:53 PM   #33608
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
How are these getting loose? In a set-up and tear-down professional use or home? Certainly surprising for XLRs.
Home use and yes, surprising. The choice of lousy XLR jacks without the usual latches prevents the cables from being locked in, one of the great advantages of XLRs. The weight of the cables, along with the vibration from music playing, causes them to start coming out spontaneously.

But I suppose when you only pay $2500 for an amp, you can't expect quality, attention to detail, or concern for the customer.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:54 PM   #33609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
John thinks that his customers are somehow beneath him and that's not the kind of business attitude I support.
Stuart, that's unkind and untrue !

The truth is .. JC thinks EVERYONE is beneath him.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:01 PM   #33610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Home use and yes, surprising. The choice of lousy XLR jacks without the usual latches prevents the cables from being locked in, one of the great advantages of XLRs. The weight of the cables, along with the vibration from music playing, causes them to start coming out spontaneously.
They should have used the Neutrik AA series XLR's. The reason the connectors on the Parasound don't have a hard locking latch on them is because then it's a real pain in the *** to work them into a PC mount solution.

Neutrik makes jacks in the AA series that don't have the hard locking latches, so they can be easily implemented in a PC mount solution but do have a spring retention mechanism so you can pretty much have your cake and eat it too.

Click the image to open in full size.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!