Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 01:27 AM   #33501
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Buffer it.
Precisely!

Old 25th January 2013, 01:40 AM   #33502
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
I have placed a standard clay house brick on top of my cd player in the past and the added mass altered the sound. Rotating the brick 180* further altered the sound

Dan.
Here it comes ... which are the "best" manufacturers, what colour works best, solid or with holes -- you get the drift ... , ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 01:44 AM   #33503
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Quite similar.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:51 AM   #33504
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Brickbats....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Here it comes ... which are the "best" manufacturers, what colour works best, solid or with holes -- you get the drift ... , ...

Frank
Haha Frank, no you are being wrongly cynical.
My thoughts are more along the lines of locked in magnetic orientation of the iron constituent in the brick causing some non linearity or bias in the sheet steel top cover of the cd player.
Perhaps others here could explain permanent magnetic fields influencing the behaviour of steel enclosures further to the information already given in recent posts.

Dan.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:06 AM   #33505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Homage to Scott Wurcer:
Thanks for this Pavel.

I should point out that 5532/4 essentially has C2 built into its compensation with the same beneficial effects on distortion, particularly high order stuff like JC's 7th. It's one reason why its performance still rivals the new uber OPAs in real life.

Of course AD797 IS better in the correct application. As in all things, close attention to the CORRECT details matter; .. and are far more important than BELIEVING Golden Pinnae myths. Correct choice of device for the task is one of the important details which pseudo gurus often don't understand.

eg. 5532/4 will outperform the AD797 in the original JC2 which was caned by the reviewers cos AD797 was the wrong choice for one of the applications. In the other application, there is little difference but this is cos the rest of the circuit is poor.

Both AD797 & 5532/4 would require extensive improvement to decoupling, earthing & layout in JC2 Mk1 to show their best.

On the subject of -300dB stuff being audible, it is likely that the real reasons for an audible change are much more gross and we are looking at the wrong thing.

eg Poor decoupling, earthing & layout results not only in worse distortion but also RFI, EMI and hard to pinpoint instability (hard cos stability changes when you connect something to look at it). You can hear this on Blind Listening Tests bla bla

It may be JC's love for discrete FETs instead of OPAs is cos he hasn't quite figured out the importance of recommendations in datasheets and his decoupling/earthing/layout stuff is lacking for many good OPAs.

Poor choice of device for application is another important detail which is easily audible under certain conditions.

JC2 Mk2 illustrates the importance of
  • looking at what needs to be done .. eg the source etc .. rather than Golden Pinnae myth
  • Measuring the complete device under the working conditions and maybe a little more ... to check that your 'calculations' are valid.

There are faults/differences which ARE detected by Blind Listening Tests bla bla and faults/differences which miraculously disappear when you turn out the lights so the Golden Pinnae can't see the price tag or what they are listening too.

Which faults/differences are you going to concentrate on?
Old 25th January 2013, 02:15 AM   #33506
diyAudio Member

Kgrlee ,
Your view of the engineering in the JC 2 wasn't held by reviewers such as Stereophile, the Absolute Sound, and others. I don't recall seeing their review of your phono stage, possibly the silicon in it is selected grains from your beach......
Old 25th January 2013, 02:33 AM   #33507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
Kgrlee ,
Your view of the engineering in the JC 2 wasn't held by reviewers such as Stereophile, the Absolute Sound, and others. I don't recall seeing their review of your phono stage, possibly the silicon in it is selected grains from your beach......
Tick, it was JC who told us the reviewers caned JC2 Mk1. You'll have to ask him which ones they were.

JC was using it as an example to dis AD797 when it was his poor choice of device, poor circuit and poor decoupling, earthing & layout that were almost certainly responsible.

At least it shows that not all Golden Pinnae reviewers are deaf

Last edited by kgrlee; 25th January 2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 25th January 2013, 02:49 AM   #33508
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
My thoughts are more along the lines of locked in magnetic orientation of the iron constituent in the brick causing some non linearity or bias in the sheet steel top cover of the cd player.
Perhaps others here could explain permanent magnetic fields influencing the behaviour of steel enclosures further to the information already given in recent posts.

Dan.
Sounds reasonable ... the scary thing is, as the sound of a system gets better these influences become more and more audibly detectable - hence the madness in the "industry" ...

Yes, we just need some giant of a man, or company, to come forward and explain all of this in everyday, fully comprehensible language -- any takers ...?

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 03:00 AM   #33509
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tick, for speaking up. Yes, the JC-3 (initially called the jc2 phono) has an A rating in the American mags: 'The Absolute Sound' and 'Stereophile' and I DID NOT use the AD797 in the final version. It got 'phono preamp of the year' in at least one of the publications.
This ranting about this product is hilarious. '-)
I didn't criticize the JC-3, I criticized the Parasound 2200 MK1 that included an AD712 in the input. The 2200 MK2 did not include this AD712, and it was successful. This all happened about 20 years ago. Scott never forgave me for removing the chip from the front end of the amp, but it was necessary to make it sound its best.
Old 25th January 2013, 03:03 AM   #33510
diyAudio Member

Max, it is difficult to discuss audio differences here, because of the criticism. It is best to let it go.

Hide this!Advertise here!