John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3350 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 11:49 PM   #33491
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sounds familiar ...

What drives me nuts is getting the right focal length for seeing the damn thing I'm trying to work out. I don't "do glasses" so I have an assortment of cheap, plastic spec's to provide the right power for the occasion. The right power is often just not quite right enough, and then in the heat of the moment I step on the last one I was using, that I took off a moment before ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 12:18 AM   #33492
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
I would assume that the actual distance would be dependent on the impedance of the circuit as well. High impedance circuits will have lower magnetic fields, whereas low z one will have higher..

jn
yes, of course. The circuitry was 50K-100K in and low Z out configuration. Note that at the time, the measurment resolution wasnt what it is today. I dont recall all the gory details -- just the summary conclusion..... routing wires against the chassis was (is?) popular. Keep from lashing wires against a steel chassis bottom etc and keep a distance of an inch or more and you are good. Or, just use aluminium. -Thx RNMarsh
Old 25th January 2013, 12:31 AM   #33493
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Sounds familiar ...

What drives me nuts is getting the right focal length for seeing the damn thing I'm trying to work out. I don't "do glasses" so I have an assortment of cheap, plastic spec's to provide the right power for the occasion. The right power is often just not quite right enough, and then in the heat of the moment I step on the last one I was using, that I took off a moment before ...

Frank
I'm using one of those visor-type magnifiers lately. The one I got has a built-in lamp and three levels of magnification. It's not bad, and leaves both hands free. As long as things don't get a whole lot smaller I can do sloppy breadboarding with SM parts.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:48 AM   #33494
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Max, I think your question on the sonic differences between steel and aluminum is valid, but I don't have any evidence to prove it directly, except my experience.....I try to suggest to others what I have found over decades of designing audio products....Now, I just specify aluminum, because it sounds better in listening comparisons.
John - thanks
Nelson, Richard, others - thanks, all good info.

Dan.

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own - Latin Proverb.
11 Wise Lessons - Essential Wisdom for Life | Personal Development
Old 25th January 2013, 12:56 AM   #33495
diyAudio Member

What bothers me is that "standard" texts for amplifier, etc, design don't mention this at all - can't see anything in Duncan or Cordell. So, only insiders know of these important "tricks", and the divide remains, between a very small number of people who can get everything right, and those that can't ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 01:01 AM   #33496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I'm using one of those visor-type magnifiers lately. The one I got has a built-in lamp and three levels of magnification. It's not bad, and leaves both hands free. As long as things don't get a whole lot smaller I can do sloppy breadboarding with SM parts.
Thanks, I have been thinking about one of these ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 01:04 AM   #33497
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
0805 or 0603 or even 0402?
Old 25th January 2013, 01:34 AM   #33498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm using one of those visor-type magnifiers lately.
Those ones ?
http://www.materielmedical.fr/I-Gran...airage.net.jpg
Old 25th January 2013, 01:43 AM   #33499
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Quote:
What bothers me is that "standard" texts for amplifier, etc, design don't mention this at all - can't see anything in Duncan or Cordell. So, only insiders know of these important "tricks", and the divide remains, between a very small number of people who can get everything right, and those that can't ...

Frank
I have noted sonic changes by shifting internal cables well away from chassis steel.
Eons ago there was a tweak called the VPI brick - a timber box enclosing I believe transformer laminations. There are varying views of optimal placement and sonic effects.
I have placed a standard clay house brick on top of my cd player in the past and the added mass altered the sound. Rotating the brick 180* further altered the sound

Dan.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:47 AM   #33500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sounds familiar ...

Frank
Haha. I have a library of those two-dollar shp specs also....works for me !.

Dan.

Hide this!Advertise here!