John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3345 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 08:49 AM   #33441
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Refreshing to see some movement on considerations apart from the textbook electricals -- hmmm, I wonder if I can patent "Everything matters ...". Uhh, oh ... I think Mike in the UK has got there first ...

Frank
Old 24th January 2013, 10:27 AM   #33442
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Default forgive the whimsey

I got a different sound after a while when I used plywood for the heatsink
Old 24th January 2013, 11:30 AM   #33443
diyAudio Member

.... and don't forget smell is also part of the perceptive experience

jan
Old 24th January 2013, 12:31 PM   #33444
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Then after plywood, test with another kind of wood.

George
You do that, not me . And please also do not invite me for listening tests of plywood vs. oak cover. Thank you .
Old 24th January 2013, 01:52 PM   #33445
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Default Loudsinks...

I am well familiar with heatsinks 'singing' according to power amplifier output level and loading, and differences according to heatsink construction and shape....also rubber bungs between fins intended to damp/prevent heatsink 'singing'.
Ditto transformers and other components also, but IME producing rather lower acoustic level and different spectrum (ie sound) compared to typical aluminium heatsinks.

My initial question is more to do with measurement data showing spectral and distortion harmonics differences imparted by otherwise identical steel or aluminium enclosures....anybody quantified this ?.

Thanks, Dan.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:56 PM   #33446
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That is defining the total current. No time integral is stated or implied. To define a sinusoidal current you need to specify its frequency and amplitude. This they do. Amplitude for AC currents is usually specified either as peak or RMS. They use RMS.

It is slightly puzzling, as EM theory usually uses peak current, but it has no significance for what you are saying. So there is nothing in the paper to say that they are using a time average. This is, of course, because they are not using a time average.
Yes, they concentrate only on dI/d(theta). Yet nowhere is a derivation attempted to discern the integrated resistance and subsequent IR drop over time. Of course, that was not their intent.
Nor did A. B. Dwight back in 1923. His paper is a virtual duplicate of the one being discussed. I am delighted to find that papers from the 20's are available via google and IEEE btw...some of the best stuff on this topic is from '58 back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
That may be so, but the authors do not say so;
So your sticking point is that I said the word eddy currents as discussed within their document, you agree that they were talking about eddy currents, but now you are hung up on the fact that they did not specifically say the word eddy currents when they were talking about eddy currents and I pointed out they were talking about eddy currents????

Is that what your gonna hang your hat on??.

jn

ps..this discussion with you is nice. I would have it no other way, thank you for your time and effort..
Old 24th January 2013, 02:14 PM   #33447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
>Edit. As I have promised not to add noise to this thread,
What is the ratio of useless posts witch can be considered as noise contribution in this thread ?

This said, you were very near, indeed, to advice cones and choose of rare woods ;-)

I'm, like you, sure that the change of this amp's sound, depending from the cover's material, can be measured and explained. Or some noise from the PSUs, or some microphonic part in the amp, like a poor weld or poor contact somewhere or some mechanical element, playing a role of capacitance, and sensible to vibrations.
As habit, the bad way to solve this problem is the audiophile way: playing with material's quality, OMHO.

As said Chuck Norris, "When the wise man points at the moon, the fool looks at his finger".

Last edited by Esperado; 24th January 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 02:41 PM   #33448
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
What is the ratio of useless posts witch can be considered as noise contribution in this thread ?
My vote is 99.9% useles, 0.1% valuable. But even those 0.1% are sometimes damned interesting
Old 24th January 2013, 03:10 PM   #33449
diyAudio Member

Well, PMA, put forth some more interesting ones. You don't have to be as negative as these other guys, you know what it takes to build good audio equipment. Show us some more measurements, or simulations. I certainly learn from them!
Old 24th January 2013, 03:21 PM   #33450
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
But even those 0.1% are sometimes damned interesting
+1
i've learned or my attention have been pointed on various interesting things i do not worried enough about.
Reason why we all stay trolling or shaking the coconut here, i believe.
Thanks to John, (among some others), even if i am far to agree all the time with him. The issues he raises are often interesting.

Last edited by Esperado; 24th January 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!