John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3318 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 03:28 PM   #33171
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
John you're in the wrong business. The add copy here is particularly interesting.

The Bluetooth Hybrid Vacuum Tube Amplifier - Hammacher Schlemmer
That's a hoot and a half!
Old 21st January 2013, 03:29 PM   #33172
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
SY,

Figure 19 is impedance vs frequency a different measurement. You will never see -200 dB (re 1 V) ripple ever in a real circuit. It just ain't possible.

Max,

They are different, it is a where's Waldo difference! But very important. (Hint, there is a reason why a center tapped transformer is not used.)

BTY Thank You for being willing to venture out into the the dungeon of DIY Audio.

Since the plus supply is connected to the wrong pin, neither will work.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:32 PM   #33173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not our fault if you, sadist Ic manufacturers, decided to place the + and - input pins in the most uncomfortable schematic place.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:32 PM   #33174
marce is online now marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

secondaries are different.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:38 PM   #33175
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
SY,

Figure 19 is impedance vs frequency a different measurement.
Yes, that's how one gets ESL. Have you lost the context so fast?

Quote:
You will never see -200 dB (re 1 V) ripple ever in a real circuit.
Yes, lost in the noise left over from the Big Bang. But I wasn't the one claiming that this 3k/6k/whatever-new-one-you-come-up-with is significant, that was your claim. I just showed, using your logic but with uncooked books, that it's not even vaguely significant.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:52 PM   #33176
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, straight over the road from the beach, natural ambient sounds only.
Ed, thank you for your welcome, and yes I am very well aware that this meeting ground can be a snake pit of sorts , haha bring it on I say lol.
Thanks Christophe, yes I am the eeediot for not noting Ed's secondary winding polarity differentiating, doh !!!.
This subtle change well causes a 'subjective' difference that I have well noted in the past by experiments involving physically splitting the transformer CT common connection and using dual bridge rectifiers and swapping back and forth individual secondary polarities....ok the individual supply refresh rate is doubled of course, but swapping winding polarities makes a further difference, as should be expected.
My apologies to you Ed for not seeing what should be obvious
Dan.
Friends turning up with JD in hand and posting don't always mix...all friendly though

Last edited by Max Headroom; 21st January 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 21st January 2013, 04:19 PM   #33177
diyAudio Member

Ed, don't you forget to print (upside down) the answer to your rebus ?
Old 21st January 2013, 04:29 PM   #33178
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Another photo. RIP both of these guys.
What? Brian Cheney passed away? Where have I been?
Old 21st January 2013, 04:30 PM   #33179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Scott,

You made me look! It is 1/2 of a dual opamp!

Would you care to elaborate about how PSSR is measured for data sheet use? I.E. one side at a time etc.
Old 21st January 2013, 04:34 PM   #33180
diyAudio Member

One of the basic things that we all need to remember is that there are almost always different path to follow to the same end. While John may prefer to use discrete components and others may wish to use opa's that does not make one method correct and the other inferior. John came from the time when the change from fire bottles to solid state were in themselves just as large a fight for the hearts and minds of EE's as today's choices of discrete or IC topology. This will go on for a long time to come.

I think of my first cellular phone, an old Nokia and how small that was compared to a land line phone. It did one thing, it made phone calls. As time has passed more and more functions have been added, now you can surf the net or even do some analysis with your Iphone and some freely downloaded app. Me I am still waiting for my Dick Tracy watch that does it all on my wrist with a holographic display. But back to that basic phone, the premise was that they would keep getting smaller and look where we are today. People are asking for larger and larger screens while I am saying what do I want to carry that large device for? Different things for different people, but when I only want to make a phone call is there a real difference in the quality of the call, not that I can hear. So we can all I see agree that one method will never satisfy everyone, that is what makes all this so interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!