John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3315 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2013, 12:39 PM   #33141
diyAudio Member

Another photo. RIP both of these guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brian and Bongo.jpg (65.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 21st January 2013, 12:45 PM   #33142
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
with Noel Lee
The guy who invented the 'Sound of cables ' ?
Old 21st January 2013, 01:04 PM   #33143
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When did Jim B pass away?
Old 21st January 2013, 01:38 PM   #33144
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

In the past couple weeks.
Old 21st January 2013, 01:46 PM   #33145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is no more evil thermal effects in audio engineer's Paradize.
Old 21st January 2013, 02:54 PM   #33146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
JC, if you believed in him, you should have read his datasheet.

The best OPA or even Golden Pinnae stuff, hand carved from solid Unobtainium by virgins, won't stop poor design from losing 10dB of signal noise .. or introducing distortion and instability with poor decoupling and layout.

Mostly explained in the AD797 datasheet.
Yes but there are several MM input pre-amps in production that use equivalent bi-polar parts from us or LT, and then there was one from one of John's white hats (Mitch Cotter) but I think that was MI (Grado). You could use the 1977 National app. note and add A weighting and see what you get.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:07 PM   #33147
diyAudio Member

I am not much in love with MM. I was asked to make a simple and compact phono preamp that originally was going to be put inside the JC-2 as an add-in. I didn't think of using the AD811 at the time, and I still might not use it today, but any added buffer would add cost, space and heat. I made the compromise to not 'stress' the input op amp with a 600 ohm load. Unlike Scott, I only use moving coil cartridges, so I optimized it for that use.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:11 PM   #33148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Now You are welcome to do your calculations showing - infinity or -165 or -220 or whatever you want. When you measure a real circuit you will be hard pressed to get -150 (all re 1 V RMS).

ES
What's all the fuss here? I've built characterization jigs and have helped dozens of customers in building low noise instruments where the there is no incursion of noise from the supplies. It's known as engineering.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:16 PM   #33149
diyAudio Member

Scott, the typical Grado cartridge has a DC resistance of 475 ohms. Please add that to your calculations.
Old 21st January 2013, 03:23 PM   #33150
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes but there are several MM input pre-amps in production that use equivalent bi-polar parts from us or LT, and then there was one from one of John's white hats (Mitch Cotter) but I think that was MI (Grado). You could use the 1977 National app. note and add A weighting and see what you get.
I wish we could persuade JA/Stereophile to measure phono noise with the input open, as well as what they do now (input shorted), and then back out the current noise contribution based on various cartridge loads. MM applications in particular, given their high inductances, will be affected significantly.

JC's (and some others') JFET-based preamps have low current noise, as well as very low voltage noise. Most op amp-based designs have high current noise, unless they are JFET input, in which case they usually have rather higher voltage noise.

The datasheet for the TI/nee National LME49710 shows the schematic for a two-amp RIAA preamp, with the implication that it should have good noise performance, but the current noise (1.6pA/sqrtHz midband) will be on the high side for that op amp used at the input. Note that some form of bias current cancellation must be used, as by itself the net bias current is a mere 7nA.

Hide this!Advertise here!